Apple's new iPhone MagSafe wallet adds Find My support

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
During its California Streaming event, Apple announced a new version of its popular leather MagSafe wallet, this time with Find My support built in.

Apple's MagSafe leather wallet
Apple MagSafe leather wallet

The leather wallet magnetically connects to the back of iPhone 12 or iPhone 13 via MagSafe. With the original version, it would vibrate when removed, but otherwise offered no way to keep track of the device once it left your phone.

Apple MagSafe wallet in Find My
Apple MagSafe wallet in Find My

The updated model, available in several leather colors, now will work in tandem with the Find My app. When removed, its last location will be shown in the Find My app to help you locate your wallet if misplaced. Find My support is not available when used with the Clear Case for MagSafe.

It also now is advertised to hold up to three cards at once.

Otherwise, the design has remained the same with a cutout on the back to facilitate card removal.

You can order it in Dark Cherry, Golden Brown, Sequoia Green, Midnight, or Wisteria for $59.99.

This story is breaking. Refresh for the most current information.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Does this mean the Wallet works like an Apple Tag?
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Yes. I think so. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Just logs the location when it was detached, but does not act as an active AirTag. It also seems to be a new feature of iOS15 and supported on iPhone 12:
     "It now supports Find My, so you can be notified of your wallet’s last known location if it gets separated from your phone**
    **Requires iPhone Leather Wallet with MagSafe and iPhone 12 or later with Find My enabled in iOS 15. Not supported on Clear Case with MagSafe."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Doesn’t look like it actively tracks the wallet once disconnected. 

“In this case, the MagSafe leather wallet will notify users of the last known location where the wallet was separated from the phone. It will not, however, provide real-time tracking.”

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/14/apples-new-magsafe-wallet-can-be-located-with-the-find-my-app-if-it-goes-missing/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    seems like a feature specifically designed for sloppy drunks

Guess I'll have to upgrade!
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Honestly the coolest announcement today. Add this to the TV Siri Remote now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I believe what makes this wallet different is that the iPhone "knows" that it is the wallet accessory that is mated to MagSafe. Before, it might know that an accessory is connected, but not which accessory is connected. There must be some type of identification happening so iPhone knows the wallet is connected. This is not the same as AirTags so shouldn't be thought of the same way. The phone only knows the last time/place it was connected to the wallet, not where it is currently located.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Yes. I think so. 

If you just get where it was disconnected, no. That would as well be possible with the current wallet. If it would keep sending updates to nearby phones, that would be an AirTag like feature. If it is the former, it's just a software locked feature that would just as well work with the old one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    saldog said:
    I believe what makes this wallet different is that the iPhone "knows" that it is the wallet accessory that is mated to MagSafe. Before, it might know that an accessory is connected, but not which accessory is connected. There must be some type of identification happening so iPhone knows the wallet is connected. This is not the same as AirTags so shouldn't be thought of the same way. The phone only knows the last time/place it was connected to the wallet, not where it is currently located.
    But the iPhone also knows that it's connected to a wallet with the old one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    sirdir said:
    saldog said:
    But the iPhone also knows that it's connected to a wallet with the old one. 
    No, it just knows it’s connected to SOMETHING, might as well a MagSafe desktop stand.
    So likely it some magnetic coding that makes the connect/disconnect different if it’s a wallet or not.

What I wonder if the new feature requires an iPhone 13, or if the new wallets are also recognized by the iPhone 12…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I’m confused on why this wallet isn’t compatible with the clear case with MagSafe.I thought the clear case was the same as the rubber and leather but clear.
    docbburkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    insync88 said:
    I’m confused on why this wallet isn’t compatible with the clear case with MagSafe.I thought the clear case was the same as the rubber and leather but clear.
    I was wondering why and what exactly this means.  I have a feeling there is a slightly different magnet configuration in the clear one that interferes with the special magnetic signaling from the new MagSafe wallet.  Kinda sucks, and keeps people from being able to use generic MagSafe cases.  I think I paid $12 for my MagSafe case that is clear.  I would bet that it won’t let the new feature in the new MagSafe wallet work. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Thank you Apple for not providing any longer the baltic blue leather wallet.  Bought a 1.3K$ phone in exclusive pacific blue color less than one year ago, and today the matching accessories are no longer available; thanks apple
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Thank you Apple for not providing any longer the baltic blue leather wallet.  Bought a 1.3K$ phone in exclusive pacific blue color less than one year ago, and today the matching accessories are no longer available; thanks apple
    Relax. There are still plenty available at Best Buy or Amazon. 

Also, you must be new to Apple. This is how they roll. Everyone knows that it’s 50/50 whether a previous  accessory color will be carried over to new models. I’ve learned that lesson the hard way. Once the announcements go out for an event, stock up on whatever accessories you will be angry about if they get discontinued. 

That said, I actually think all these new colors are kind of ugly. I wish there was a new blue one to go with my new Blue Jay case. 
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra