iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max launch with ProMotion & Super Retina XDR display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    siretman said:
    A segment with filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow...now why is that name familiar 😎
    She is the Academy award winner director of Hurt Locker as well as the ex-wife of James Cameron the director of Titanic and Avatar. 

I guess you missed the B).....
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 76
    davgreg said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Macro shots are awesome!

As is said: “your best camera is the one you’ve got with you”, and often that’s my iPhone. 
    Next time break out a Leica - then the iPhone will never be the best phone.
    Lol. I am fond of paperweights but not for everyday walking around, adding that extra ten pounds or more just isn’t fun unless I’m deliberately on a photo op. Then, sure, dSLRs, lenses, mirrorless , more lenses: totally worth it. (Oh, and of course, a tripod). 
    edited September 2021 llamawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 76
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    I am in the Apple upgrade program for the iPhone and think I will be taking a pass. The cell phone is a pretty mature technology and I use my iPad Pro for mobile stuff. 11 payments in, I am not feeling the need for the phone unless it has significantly better 5G performance.

Probably will order the new watch as my GF wants to upgrade from her Fitbit and already said she wants my Series 6 if I replace it.

The iPad Mini upgrades were interesting. If it had Face ID I would order one right now - the finger sensors do not work well for me.

I am looking forward to the next round of iPad Pros and the M2 series Macs.

I am really surprised that a second generation HomePod was not announced- the HomePod mini is a nice device and worth the $99, a larger and more capable one seems like it should be in the works.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Solid evolutionary upgrade. Doesn't shake the world but I don't expect a smart phone iteration to produce unicorn tears.

Very curious about what people want from their phones and what they are expecting in a new one. My primary need is ever increasing quality of camera and increased battery life. They delivered on both. 

Another ever improving feature that I need is damage resistance and water resistance as I am clumsy and the kids run off with my phone and sometimes it goes smash.

Very nice bonus with capability to run offline Siri and some of the computational photography and cinematic features are hard to accomplish. 

Frankly I think that iPhone's greatest Achilles heel at the moment is that the software side is lagging behind the hardware in truly leveraging all the new capabilities and pushing the art of the possible. Both in iOS and in the apps on the platform.. It is a bit like the console challenge where games truly leverage the platform to its full around the time the hardware becomes obsolete. With the iPhone the OODA loop of hardware refresh is too fast for the developer community to keep up.
    StrangeDaysasdasdtmayJWSCfastasleepbyronlwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 25 of 76
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    Yes and no.  First yes every rational person will be able to understand that it is at this time the most advanced announcement, as each year the announcements showcasing ever advancing technology.  That is simply factual.  Now if you stated, that fanboys would state its the largest leap from the previous generation, then you might have a valid argument, but of course that isn't what you stated.  Now on the 2nd part mind-blowing is of course a subjective adjective, and as such while I think most fan boys won't see what's announced today as the most mind-blowing ever (in fact I doubt any will but I have been in error before).  But you will probably find one person whose always dreamed of having a phone that has one function that is new, and for that one person they would find that dream announcement mind-blowing.  

I will say that will I wasn't disappointed by the announcements I was rather bored by the presentation. 
    StrangeDaysbyronl
  • Reply 26 of 76
    tmay said:
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    After watching the keynote, it goes without saying why Apple wants everybody back to the office. What a year of paid vacations!!!! eh buddies???
    They should start canceling chips and all raw materials (just saying)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    tmay said:
    I would upgrade to 13 ProMax because of camera and 1TB storage for ProRes. I shoot video and does video compositing. Also both 12 and 13 can convert 3D real life object to 3D model for 3D animation which Apple never mentioned it in their presentation. And I do 3D animation as well. iPhone is becoming the electronic Swiss knife that does everything.
    What applications are you using for conversion to a 3D model? I'm interested from the standpoint of 3D printed output (Formlabs 3). 
    To name a couple, Polycam and 3D Scanner App. LiDAR is the technology behind this on iPhone. If you search by LiDAR, you will see more options.
    Thanks. I'm familiar with dedicated LIDAR scanners for modeling, but haven't any knowledge of iPhone/iPad workflows.

I'll be try those first two apps, if and when I upgrade to the iPhone 13.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Yawn! I’ll keep my 12 pro max!
    Who said the routine iterative product development was designed to entice existing 12 owners to upgrade? Do you upgrade cars annually? Laptops? TVs? Nope. Back in the day there were major updates but that was years ago. iPhone is a mature product and each year they polish and it gets a little bit better. Personally I haven't upgraded annually in some time; two years seems a-ok for me now.
    edited September 2021 bageljoeyfastasleepapplguybyronlCheeseFreezewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 76
    I didn't see a single post from anyone claiming it was a mind-blowing event. You're creating narratives in your head. 

I did see a butthurt who is apparently so bored in life they need a cell phone to bring it meaning. Sorry, that isn't the job of the iPhone. 
    edited September 2021 tmaybageljoeyfastasleepapplguyericthehalfbeebyronlwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 31 of 76
    siretman said:
    She is the Academy award winner director of Hurt Locker as well as the ex-wife of James Cameron the director of Titanic and Avatar. 
    Yes, now keep going...a bit further back...
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    tmay said:
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
    Sales might be less than for the 12, due to the alleged "super cycle", but given that there are still something on the order of 760 million iPhones that haven't been upgraded to the iPhone 12, I'd still expect iPhone 13 sales to easily be "robust".

I'm surprised that so few here are excited by the addition of Pro Motion.
    edited September 2021 fastasleepbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 76
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I think the upgrade is solid indeed but the presentation was off. I think I’ll buy a 13 after the next cycle - after 14. I have an 11. The sellers for me are the battery life, the excellent increase in storage. And general speed improvements in the chip. They didn’t mention much about software features. 

That’s it and it’s a fine 1 year iteration. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 76
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    A quick search shows you said the same last year about the 12. Odd hobby. 
    edited September 2021 tmaybageljoeysagan_studentStrangeDaysJFC_PAmariowincofastasleepwelshdogJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 76
    The 13 Pro Max will be a big improvement over my XS Max, I'm certain. I may stay up past midnight on Thursday to be an early pre-orderer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Even heavier than the 12 Pro Max:  8.46 oz or 240 grams, and possibly heavier in larger storage configurations
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 76
    The primary reason for a new phone for me now is the camera, and I think they delivered.

I love the new cinema mode; opens up ad-hoc filmmaking ideas as opposed to lugging a DSLR around.

One really interesting tidbit: they now compared the speed of the A15 to the competition, and not their previous gen chip.
    Nowhere on their website any mention of performance increase against their own products can be found this time. Normally they’re keen to show the improvements each generation in some kind of graph.

My guess is that it’s not a big of a jump this time at all and they wanted to shift the focus to something else instead, which is comparing it to other brands.   

I guess they have very modest speed updates and the majority of the improvements are in the ISP, encoders and other things that do not resonate that much with the general public.
    mariowinco
  • Reply 38 of 76
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    siretman said:
    Yes, now keep going...a bit further back...
    Point Break?  Near Dark?

I’m probably being dim but I don’t get it.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    siretman said:
    JFC_PA said:
    “ Pre-orders commence at 9 p.m. PDT on September 16, with availability starting September 14. ”

Typo?

or has FedEx finally deployed their long rumored Wormhole delivery? 
    Availability should say Sept 24. 
    And it looks like they got the preorder date and time  wrong as well: the store has it as 5 A. M. PDT on the 17th. 
  • Reply 40 of 76
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Not much added to iPhone this year. I was secretly hoping that they would add some kind of screen privacy tech so that I don't have to put on these pathetic privacy screen guard protectors which hampers the screen resolution significantly.