New Apple Watch Series 7 with more durability, larger screen area revealed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    AppleCare+ on my Series 4 expires tomorrow.   Time for me to renew it -- the Series 4 is meeting my needs quite adequately. 

I love it now that Apple Products seem to have longer functional lives -- and you can extend the warranty indefinitely.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 22 of 42
    My Series 5, you are safe for another year…
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 42
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Really boring update, had expected something big following the so so upgrade of the Series 6 over the S5.

I guess it's a mature product line now and basic updates are all we can expect.

On the bright side there is no major reason for my wife to upgrade her S4 and my S6 should go for the next 2-3 years.
    williamlondonpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    I wonder if some leaker got busted, who spread the flat edges rumor, maybe it was a planted leak.
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    rattlhed said:
    KBuffett said:
    So it doesn’t have the flat edges, as the rumours suggested 

Ya, I like this look much better.  Flat edges would have been weird.  Love to see the leekers get it wrong!
    The “leaker” renderings were ugggggly!! So happy it was just wrong.
    That was the best part of today's event - I LOLed when I saw how wrong the leeks were.

adyb said:
    JFC_PA said:
    My Series 2 is worried. 
    As is my Series 3, being a keen cyclist!
    It sounds like your Series 3 may get the cycling enhancements from the WatchOS upgrade.   All the enhancements except the fall detection.   But, if you don't fall off, you don't need that!.

They still sell the S3, even though the emergency OS update that just arrived will require the hours long unpair, set-up-as-new, download install, then restore procedure for it. Yuck.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    rattlhed said:
    KBuffett said:

Ya, I like this look much better.  Flat edges would have been weird.  Love to see the leekers get it wrong!

Yes indeed.

I am soooooo glad Apple didn't go off the rails with a slab sided iPhone 4 inspired aesthetic on the latest Apple Watch. Besides looking no better than the $25 "smart watches" you can buy on Amazon, I could imagine the corners of that thing digging into my wrist. The smooth curves of the Apple Watch make the thing a pleasure to wear. I was shocked at how comfortable the very first Apple Watch was to wear considering its dimensions. The Series 5 is even nicer.

Don't try to fix what's not broken and don't assume you know what Apple is thinking when you are playing speculation games with your 3D design program.

That said, we are now going to see 364 days of the same people who predicted that slabby Apple Watch 7 predicting the design of the next Apple Watch, Series 8, based on some far reaching assumption they draw from some other popular Apple product that is not a watch. Maybe the HomePod mini will serve as the next speculative design inspiration - the spherical Apple Watch 8.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    eightzero said:
    rattlhed said:
    KBuffett said:

That was the best part of today's event - I LOLed when I saw how wrong the leeks were.

adyb said:
    JFC_PA said:
    My Series 2 is worried. 
    It sounds like your Series 3 may get the cycling enhancements from the WatchOS upgrade.   All the enhancements except the fall detection.   But, if you don't fall off, you don't need that!.

They still sell the S3, even though the emergency OS update that just arrived will require the hours long unpair, set-up-as-new, download install, then restore procedure for it. Yuck.
    ? My Series 3 updated via my iPhone without all that. 
    spock1234GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    JFC_PA said:
    eightzero said:
    rattlhed said:
    KBuffett said:

adyb said:
    JFC_PA said:
    My Series 2 is worried. 

Cool. Good for you. Mine not so much. 
    spock1234GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 42
    KBuffett said:
    What are the hardware & software features that are only available on S7 (and not S6?)
    No major new features discussed. Bigger, brighter, tougher screen, IPX6 dust resistance, faster charging, refined UI controls for the bigger display -- like the new on-screen keyboard.

I wouldn't expect Series 6 users to upgrade, but when people get a new Watch the Series 7 is solid. Iterative development.
    Correct. No new health features compared to the Series 6
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 42

"And Apple Watch now, better supports e-bikes with an improved workout algorithm that more accurately calculates calories."

Nice article….. right up until that sentence.

E-bikes are like mopeds or f@t chicks…. you really don’t want people to see you getting on one.

Also, you don’t burn calories or get a workout when the motor does the work for you.  

williamlondonpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    KBuffett said:
    Hahahaha, Apple got yah rumors 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 42
    I’m a Series 3 owner so I am looming forward to upgrading as this will be a big leap for me. From what I’ve seen, you can usually skip 2-3 generations of Watch before it starts to feel long in the tooth. This new display will definitely be the highlight compared to my 3. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    “More durability” - I’m fairly tall and my wrist is the same level as a door knob so I’m constantly banging my watch on door knobs. My series 3 has held up just fine to the abuse so I’m not sure it needs more durability. 
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 42
    KBuffett said:
    Perhaps a red herring to flush out leakers
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 35 of 42
    JFC_PA said:
    eightzero said:
    rattlhed said:
    KBuffett said:

adyb said:
    JFC_PA said:
    My Series 2 is worried. 

Well might depend on when you purchased it. I bought mine when it was new, and for every freakin update in the past year I had to do this unpair, reset as new pain ita. And even before it always took ages to update.
  • Reply 36 of 42

"And Apple Watch now, better supports e-bikes with an improved workout algorithm that more accurately calculates calories."

E-bikes are like mopeds or f@t chicks…. you really don’t want people to see you getting on one.

Also, you don’t burn calories or get a workout when the motor does the work for you.  

The difference is that e-bikes have pedals.
    I used to bike with a couple older guys on e-bikes who only used the motors for up hill climbs.  So they did get exercise, but not as much.

But, the newer ones have are more powerful and, I suspect that many will think those pedals are to rest your feet on.

But, e-bikes are not going away.  People on my trail are using them to commute to work and one of my grandson's friends rides his on a busy, 4 lane urban highway that does not have shoulders.  The other day I was driving through a park at 28mph when an e-bike blew buy me like I was standing still.

For me the question is:   will the increased death and injuries offset the (minimal) exercise people will get on them?
    Personally, I'd prefer a motorcycle.   On a road they are safer -- and a lot more fun.

But, Apple was right adjusting their algorithm for them. I'm just wondering how they calculate calories burned from the wrist -- they won't know if the person is pedaling at all much less how hard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42

But, e-bikes are not going away.  People on my trail are using them to commute to work and one of my grandson's friends rides his on a busy, 4 lane urban highway that does not have shoulders.  The other day I was driving through a park at 28mph when an e-bike blew buy me like I was standing still.
    The only reason e-bikes are “allowed” on trails is because government is incompetent and loopholed them in with human powered bicycles.   That is changing now to classification as motorcycles which will result in being banned in National Parks, bike paths, trails, etc.   

At that point they will revert to toys for rich people.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

The only reason e-bikes are “allowed” on trails is because government is incompetent and loopholed them in with human powered bicycles.   That is changing now to classification as motorcycles which will result in being banned in National Parks, bike paths, trails, etc.   

Electric bikes are extremely popular with the Amish. I think they recharge them using solar power, which is also very popular with the Amish. Maybe the Amish are rich in spirit, but they seem to be using them for very utilitarian purposes and not as toys. Another electric bicycle shop just opened near me so their popularity seems to be on the rise. For automobile drivers, the reduction in road apples is an added bonus.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 42
    dewme said:

Electric bikes are extremely popular with the Amish. I think they recharge them using solar power, which is also very popular with the Amish. Maybe the Amish are rich in spirit, but they seem to be using them for very utilitarian purposes and not as toys. Another electric bicycle shop just opened near me so their popularity seems to be on the rise. For automobile drivers, the reduction in road apples is an added bonus.
    Hahaha….. I believe that qualifies as an edge case.  

However, the federal government is working to close the loophole and classify them as motorized vehicles.  Once that happens they will be restricted on trails, National Parks, sidewalks, etc.  Things like helmet laws, inspections, traffic signals, etc would also become applicable.   Time will tell.

williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 42

I have 100 miles of trail around me and one that goes 150 miles to Washington DC.  None are owned or operated by the government.

The trail councils make their rules.   Right now they have their hands full keeping quads off the trails.   Even the cops ride e-bikes.