Apple debuts ninth-generation iPad with A13 processor for $329

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2021
The 10.2-inch iPad has been upgraded with the A13 bionic processor, new 12MP Ultra Wide camera with Center Stage.

ninth-generation iPad unveiled with A13 processor
ninth-generation iPad unveiled with A13 processor

Apple didn't change much about the 10.2-inch iPad for its ninth generation beyond the front-facing camera, True Tone display, and A13 Bionic processor. These upgrades keep the budget iPad up-to-date with more power and better base storage.

The Ultra-Wide lens enables Center Stage, which enables the front-facing camera to follow your face as you move around. This feature was first introduced in the iPad Pro.

The A13 processor is about 20% faster than the A12 processor found in the 8th-generation iPad. This means faster apps, more fluid interface interactions, and a better overall experience.

"iPad has never been more essential for working, learning, and communicating, and we're excited to bring one of the biggest updates ever to our most popular iPad," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With the powerful A13 Bionic, more engaging video calls with Center Stage, and double the storage, the new iPad delivers advanced capabilities, versatility, and simplicity at an incredible value."

The other features remain, retaining its 500 nit non-laminated display. In addition, still supports the first-generation Apple Pencil since it uses Lightning to charge.

The old-fashioned Touch ID sensor is still in use below the display. The 10.2-inch iPad is the last Apple product to use the legacy system.

Use the same accessories for your new iPad
Use the same accessories for your new iPad

The external design is the same, so the 9th-generation iPad will fit old cases and still use the same accessories.

Apple's entry-level iPad targets casual users and the education market, so the price is its most important metric. Each update brings modest changes to keep the iPad modern without breaking the bank.

The price has also remained the same, with the 64GB model starting at $329. Orders begin Tuesday, with units available on Friday.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Seriously? "The old-fashioned Touch ID"?

Why use such loaded language? It's not old-fashioned, it's just different. Works better with masks, allows use under a table without being a distraction to others, and various other advantages. Sure, faceID also has advantages, but those 2 words are just oddly biased and completely unnecessary.

Read the sentence with other options, like "traditional", i.e.
        The traditional Touch ID sensor is still in use below the display.

Or better yet, and more professional, no biased words at all, i.e.
    The Touch ID sensor is still in use below the display.

edited September 2021 muthuk_vanalingammacplusplustoddzrxrob53spock1234Dogpersonwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Seems like a lot of features for a great entry level price 
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmerob53spock1234williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 21
    KBuffett said:
    Agreed.  I'm likely to pick up another one of these soon myself, for general family use.  The price is great.  The only thing I wish it had was a less-reflective display, but for $329 I can live with it for lightweight use.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    Is it still going to use the lightning connector? So iPad mini, Air and Pro use USB-C and the ipad used the lightning connector? Who is making these decisions at apple?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Super smart move by Apple.. keep pulling up the drawbridge on the competition by ensuring the lowest entry point is better than many of the premium Android tablets.

They have a clear differentiation now between the entry point iPad and the other models in design language and features. This thing will sell like hotcakes and at the price it is a near disposable device with excellent video conference features for a remote-first world. By using old generation components they also help further build return on investment of tooling and manufacturing infrastructure to last more years of demand. This will help margins and also enable them to perhaps go sub $300 some day.

Bravo Apple!
    dewmefastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 21
    KBuffett said:

It IS a lot of features. 
    For most people it will meet their needs and do what they need as well as any of the other iPads (with the possible exception of the niche market Mini -- which is great for both physician's lab coat pockets and their kids small hands).

Also, it is great that they didn't change its size:   My grandson's 6th gen for instance has a fairly new case/keyboard and trackpad that also holds his Apple Pencil -- so we won't have to replace any of that.

And, the 6th gen with its A10 worked well for him, but you could see a bit of delay now and again -- particularly with the pencil and graphics.   So, an upgraded processor may help that.

Probably it's weakest point is iPadOS  which has not yet attained laptop level functionality and power -- but that's true across the entire iPad line and, each year it gains more functionality and more power....  In fact, Apple has a tendency to gloss over those enhancements in its presentations -- so some of that could be realized in the newest iPadOS.

For $329 this is perhaps the best deal in Apple's line up.  The bang you get for the buck is phenomenal.

From my experience:  any student with a MacBook also needs one of these -- along with an Apple Pencil
    edited September 2021 spock1234
  • Reply 7 of 21
    blah64 said:

Why use such loaded language? It's not old-fashioned, it's just different. Works better with masks, allows use under a table without being a distraction to others, and various other advantages. Sure, faceID also has advantages, but those 2 words are just oddly biased and completely unnecessary.

I have to agree. One of the selling points of why I got my SE 2nd gen is because of the Touch ID. Then COVID happened and I was really glad I had a way to securely and quickly logon while wearing a mask. 
    williamlondonDogperson
  • Reply 8 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    blah64 said:

I have to agree. One of the selling points of why I got my SE 2nd gen is because of the Touch ID. Then COVID happened and I was really glad I had a way to securely and quickly logon while wearing a mask. 
    Are you sure the references to "old fashioned TouchID" aren't in comparison to the newer TouchID implementation on the iPad mini and others, where it's in the power button, and there is no home button?
    spock1234williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 21
    KBuffett said:
    you definitely get a lot of iPad for $329
    GeorgeBMacdewmeeriamjh
  • Reply 10 of 21
    KBuffett said:
    Yep very easy buying for POS, information terminals, classroom deployments. 

spock1234williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 21
    blah64 said:

Came here to say the same thing. I find the home button extremely useful especially for orientation and its already by my thumb. 
    Glad I bought a new Mini earlier. 
    It was a loaded sentence  
    Fidonet127williamlondonjust cruisin
  • Reply 12 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    blah64 said:

Because there's a newer style placed on the edge on the new mini, for example.
    williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mattinoz said:
    KBuffett said:
    Yep very easy buying for POS, information terminals, classroom deployments. 

And, from personal experience with cyberschool:    Algebra Homework.  As well as sporadically with other subjects like science and even Social Studies:   "Draw a political cartoon showing Carnegie, Rockefeller, etc either as robber barons or giants of industry".

• Reply 14 of 21
    This is the only product other than the AW7 that got my attention. It looks like good value, and of course the prices will drop. Choices are good to have. If you like the iPad mini size it seems good too, but the price is unattractive. For now. To me. YMMV.

AW7 will likely be a present to replace my wife's AW3, so I was happy to see that. 

The iPhones are impressive, but I have no need for one. My Xr is fine. I don't make movies.

The other stuff...ATV+ is fine if free (thanks t-mobile!) I tried the fitness, and it isn't great. YMMV. Much of the event seemed like an infomercial. Hopefully more stuff in a later fall event. 
  • Reply 15 of 21
    jeffdm said:
    blah64 said:

Because there's a newer style placed on the edge on the new mini, for example.
    I think that’s because that device doesn’t have a home button. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 16 of 21
    eightzero said:
    This is the only product other than the AW7 that got my attention. It looks like good value, and of course the prices will drop. Choices are good to have. If you like the iPad mini size it seems good too, but the price is unattractive. For now. To me. YMMV.

AW7 will likely be a present to replace my wife's AW3, so I was happy to see that. 

The iPhones are impressive, but I have no need for one. My Xr is fine. I don't make movies.

The other stuff...ATV+ is fine if free (thanks t-mobile!) I tried the fitness, and it isn't great. YMMV. Much of the event seemed like an infomercial. Hopefully more stuff in a later fall event. 
    I have a gut feeling it’s gonna be tough finding an AW7 once they start shipping. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    KBuffett said:

It IS a lot of features. 
    For most people it will meet their needs and do what they need as well as any of the other iPads (with the possible exception of the niche market Mini -- which is great for both physician's lab coat pockets and their kids small hands).

Also, it is great that they didn't change its size:   My grandson's 6th gen for instance has a fairly new case/keyboard and trackpad that also holds his Apple Pencil -- so we won't have to replace any of that.

And, the 6th gen with its A10 worked well for him, but you could see a bit of delay now and again -- particularly with the pencil and graphics.   So, an upgraded processor may help that.

Probably it's weakest point is iPadOS  which has not yet attained laptop level functionality and power -- but that's true across the entire iPad line and, each year it gains more functionality and more power....  In fact, Apple has a tendency to gloss over those enhancements in its presentations -- so some of that could be realized in the newest iPadOS.

For $329 this is perhaps the best deal in Apple's line up.  The bang you get for the buck is phenomenal.

From my experience:  any student with a MacBook also needs one of these -- along with an Apple Pencil
    The performance jump from the A10 to the A13 is huge so it definitely will help with that.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 21
    blah64 said:

Agree….. AppleInsider is great, until they start editorializing
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 21
    blah64 said:

Agree….. AppleInsider is great, until they start editorializing
    I'm with the others who think this is purely versus the new-fashioned Touch ID embedded in the sleep/wake button, a la the iPad Air and new iPad mini. I can't believe so many people are upset by this. 
    williamlondonmattinoz
  • Reply 20 of 21
    The $329 basic iPad runs the same iPadOS as the most expensive high-end iPad Pro. The A13 can certainly hold up.
    GeorgeBMac