iPhone 13 models thicker and heavier, TrueDepth notch slightly taller than iPhone 12 lineu...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
Apple's latest iPhone 13 models eschew the company's long-held "thinner is better" mantra in favor of better camera systems and larger batteries.

iPhone 13 Pro

While Apple didn't focus on handset dimensions during Tuesday's hardware reveal, specifications published to the company's website show a slight increase in both girth and weight when compared to last year's iPhone 12 lineup.

All iPhone 13 models come in at 7.65 millimeters (0.30 inches) thick, compared to 7.4mm (0.29 in.) for each iPhone 12 variant.

Weight sees a more significant change. Starting with the largest iPhone 13 Pro, Apple notes a weight of 8.03 ounces (240 grams), which compares to 8.03 oz. (228g) for the iPhone 12 Pro Max. The iPhone 13 Pro sees an increase to 7.19 oz. (204g) from 6.66 oz. (189g) on last year's model.

Apple's iPhone 13 comes in at 6.14 oz. (174g), up from iPhone 12's 5.78 oz. (164g), while the iPhone 13 mini's 4.97 oz. (141g) compares to the iPhone 12 mini's 4.76 oz. (135g).

While not a significant change from last year's lineup, the weight gain might be noticeable for owners who carry their device in pockets or small bags. More interestingly, Apple is slowly moving away from its push for ever-thinner devices, a strategy that sometimes came at the cost of usability.

In return for the weight increase, iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPhone 13 deliver up to 2.5 more hours of battery life when compared to their predecessors, while the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 mini bring an additional 1.5 hours.

The TrueDepth "notch" is also getting a makeover that reduces its footprint by 20%, according to Apple. While the notch is much slimmer than units on current iPhones, it is slightly taller. The added height should be imperceptible unless closely comparing iPhone 13 with an older device like iPhone 12.

Apple's latest iPhone devices are slated to go up for preorder on Friday, Sept. 17, at 5 a.m. Pacific.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    In use the notch is effectively invisible to me. That’s it’s such a fascination is a puzzle. 
    XedcitpeksigorskylkrupptwokatmewMplsPStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Dear AI: the weight you report for the 13 Pro Max is wrong. You’ve got it weighing the same 8.03 oz. as the 12 PM.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    While not a significant change from last year's lineup, the weight gain might be noticeable for owners who carry their device in pockets or small bags.

That's ridiculous. The biggest weight change is 1/2 an ounce, or 14 grams.  No way someone can tell that kind of a difference in a bag or pocket.  One might feel the difference if picking up the phones with no cases. Though, such differences are likely not even detectable according to Weber's Law.  It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally people won't notice less than a 10% difference in weight.  The point is that adding a bag or pocket to to equation completely blows the argument out of then water.  

lkruppdav
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JFC_PA said:
    In use the notch is effectively invisible to me. That’s it’s such a fascination is a puzzle. 
    sdw2001 said:
    While not a significant change from last year's lineup, the weight gain might be noticeable for owners who carry their device in pockets or small bags.

That's ridiculous. The biggest weight change is 1/2 an ounce, or 14 grams.  No way someone can tell that kind of a difference in a bag or pocket.  One might feel the difference if picking up the phones with no cases. Though, such differences are likely not even detectable according to Weber's Law.  It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally people won't notice less than a 10% difference in weight.  The point is that adding a bag or pocket to to equation completely blows the argument out of then water.  

Like death and taxes, bitching about the notch and weight changes will ensue with some claiming the iPhone 13 is now ‘useless’ to them. It’s how social media works.
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Added extra battery life and weight is not much for me since I have it on belt pouch that weighs a ton anyway … :-)). I wish they just call this iphone12S
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Well, the 13 Pro Max is 32 grams heavier then my Xs Max. I'm gonna notice the weight increase, especially when making long calls. I found the 12 Pro Max already to heavy, so this one for sure. For now I'm holding on to my old phone. And my next iPhone has to be one of the smaller ones. Pity. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I do like the new Promotion display, and the camera improvements.  The cinematic feature is nice, but will that be available for the 12-series via iOS 15 update? At least for me, there is little to make it worth shelling out over $1500 to upgrade from my existing 12 Pro Max.  I think Steve Jobs would have called this the iPhone 12S.

Same for the new Apple Watch Series 7.  I really like the new display, but it doesn’t offer much more that I am interested in, over my existing Series 6.  I was a little surprised that the Series 7 uses the same processor as the Series 6.  I’m sure plenty of people will say that it’s “good enough.”  This does make me think that much of their effort is being spent on new technologies for the Series 8 a year from now.

All that being said, both items are very nice devices.  I would probably upgrade both if I didn’t have the next most recent versions of them already.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Not the first time a new iPhone is thicker than previous.
    mchan1
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Yeah. I was disappointed with the article’s weight typo as well as the lack of picture comparisons of the notch difference. Maybe we’ll get that after it’s released.

Weight is definitely an issue for me (but not in a bag, that’s just silly). I use my iPhone Pro Max more than 12 hours a day and had to buy a stand for it. Holding it constantly was causing physical health problems (not at first but over time). I may have to go for the smaller model too because of it. Disappointing because I love larger screens. I wonder how the weight compares between 11 ProMax, 12 ProMax & 13 ProMax
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Not the first time a new iPhone is thicker than previous.
    People can use Apple’s comparison chart on its website to compare.
    The Pro Max is almost identical in dimensions compared to the older Plus models.

If people are complaining about the slight immaterial weight differences between the models of ~1~2 Ounces, they need to start exercising.