Apple Watch Series 7 uses same processor as predecessor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I’m sure the AW Series 7 doesn’t actually need a faster processor yet. Same goes for the new iPhones with the A15 not being markedly better than A14. 

I think this suggests that Apple has been more focused upon Apple Silicon for Mac these past two years. Here’s hoping. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    saarek said:
    dk49 said:
    bageljoey said:
    reelgeek said:
    …this isn't unprecedented.  It is disappointing.  
    But why exactly is it disappointing? What is it that the AW6 processor can’t do that you need more power for?

If they realized that their processor capability already surpassed software demands, I commend them for focusing their advancements (Screen seize, fast charging, durability) elsewhere—where people will actually see the benefits! 

I imagine they are working on a faster processor and will have it ready when it’s needed—just not to satisfy the spec obsessed. 
    I agree. I don't think that Apple watch runs any heavy computations such as games or CPU hogging apps. And though it doesn't apply to the current Apple watch, I would prefer more health sensors over a better processor any day. 

Which is what makes this update doubly dissappointing. Same SiP, different chassis, no new functionality. Emperors new clothes.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S6 and it was a fantastic upgrade over my S1. But the S6 wasn't much of an upgrade over the S5 which itself wasn't much of an upgrade over the S4.

The Apple watch basically peaked with the Series 4 and since then it's had very tiny updates.
    So keep your series 6 then. Going back to the point others have made, what is it not doing that you need it to do? it seems that you're disappointed that you don't have a good reason to spend money on a new device.

I have a series 3 that works fine. i'd like the always-on display, and it's a bit slow to respond, but If I had a series 4 or 5 I'd be totally happy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    As I more or less expected, there is nothing to the new Apple Watch that compels me to upgrade from my 6, nor wife wife either.

That is not to say that other's might find it a compelling upgrade.  Just not for us.
    rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    MplsP said:
    saarek said:
    dk49 said:
    bageljoey said:
    reelgeek said:
    But why exactly is it disappointing? What is it that the AW6 processor can’t do that you need more power for?

If they realized that their processor capability already surpassed software demands, I commend them for focusing their advancements (Screen seize, fast charging, durability) elsewhere—where people will actually see the benefits! 

I imagine they are working on a faster processor and will have it ready when it’s needed—just not to satisfy the spec obsessed. 
    I agree. I don't think that Apple watch runs any heavy computations such as games or CPU hogging apps. And though it doesn't apply to the current Apple watch, I would prefer more health sensors over a better processor any day. 

Which is what makes this update doubly dissappointing. Same SiP, different chassis, no new functionality. Emperors new clothes.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S6 and it was a fantastic upgrade over my S1. But the S6 wasn't much of an upgrade over the S5 which itself wasn't much of an upgrade over the S4.

The Apple watch basically peaked with the Series 4 and since then it's had very tiny updates.
    So keep your series 6 then. Going back to the point others have made, what is it not doing that you need it to do? it seems that you're disappointed that you don't have a good reason to spend money on a new device.

I have a series 3 that works fine. i'd like the always-on display, and it's a bit slow to respond, but If I had a series 4 or 5 I'd be totally happy.
    Sadly Apple seems to not care about increasing battery life, but that’s something I’d love. I go hiking all the time and would like to leave my iPhone at home and just use my watch, as it happens the Apple Watch dies too quickly when using it on its own with any activity that uses the GPS.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    saarek said:
    MplsP said:
    saarek said:
    dk49 said:
    bageljoey said:
    reelgeek said:

Sadly Apple seems to not care about increasing battery life, but that’s something I’d love. I go hiking all the time and would like to leave my iPhone at home and just use my watch, as it happens the Apple Watch dies too quickly when using it on its own with any activity that uses the GPS.

I would think that the optical heart rate sensor would burn through the battery faster as its constantly on during exercise.   Have you tried turning that off?  It will impact the calorie calculation.   But otherwise, I don't think it would be terribly useful during a hike.

Also, reducing the length of time the display stays on (as well as its brightness) after raising your wrist can also help battery life.
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    entropys said:
    Makes it an easier decision to grab a series 6 on clearance then
    I think I am just going to skip buying the Apple watch entirely. For me the main reason to buy a smart watch/band is health tracking. I find it odd to wear a watch all day long, even when I am at home or sleeping. I think I am going to buy the newly launched Fitbit Charge 5. It has all the sensors which the Apple watch has, battery lasts for days, it's much thinner, has better sleep tracking, and costs much less. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 27 of 31
    I was really wanting to update our 4 models to 7, but now I think we'll just get refurbished 6s.

Really wanted those flat sides.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    atomic101 said:
    bageljoey said:
    reelgeek said:

I would agree as well.  I have a S5 and I never sit there thinking that it's not fast enough given the types of applications it runs.  This is largely the same with the iPhone or iPad... even years after their introduction, the older devices rarely make me cringe as I work with them.  I think memory (RAM) might have a larger impact as it pertains to OS updates.

As someone who grew up in the earlier years of computing, I truly remember how much each generation of processor design impacted the day-to-day usability of things.  Yearly A-series and S-series updates sometimes feel like an unnecessary (but not unappreciated) luxury.
    I was hoping for a better CPU to help battery life as it does with the phones. I’ve got a 5 and it just barely makes it thru the day.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    saarek said:
    dk49 said:
    bageljoey said:
    reelgeek said:

Functionality != features. (tho technically the swipe keyboard is new functionality) While there is no new hardware sensor, there are new features. Faster charging, quick charging, thinner case, stronger case, IPX6 seals, brighter screen, bigger screen, etc…Those are all new features, even while functionality is about the same. 

Claiming the emperor has no clothes is simply idiotic. If shopping for a new Watch, I would take a 7 over a 6 in a heartbeat. 

No one expects normals to upgrade every single year. Even I don’t, and I’m an enthusiast. But when you do, it’s better. Iterative development is the name of the game. Gruber wrote about this over a decade ago…read up:

https://www.macworld.com/article/205387/apple-rolls.html
    edited September 2021 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31
    saarek said:
    dk49 said:
    bageljoey said:
    reelgeek said:

Functionality != features. (tho technically the swipe keyboard is new functionality) While there is no new hardware sensor, there are new features. Faster charging, quick charging, thinner case, stronger case, IPX6 seals, brighter screen, bigger screen, etc…Those are all new features, even while functionality is about the same. 

Claiming the emperor has no clothes is simply idiotic. If shopping for a new Watch, I would take a 7 over a 6 in a heartbeat. 

No one expects normals to upgrade every single year. Even I don’t, and I’m an enthusiast. But when you do, it’s better. Iterative development is the name of the game. Gruber wrote about this over a decade ago…read up:

https://www.macworld.com/article/205387/apple-rolls.html

Yes, it what happens in mature markets.  Incremental changes.

I have 1999 Accord and a 2017 Elantra.   The Elantra is improved -- but nothing that would make me buy one just for the features.  (I bought it because the Accord developed some mysterious mechanical problems at a time when I needed a dependable car.)

But watch out when the industry converts from 100 year old internal combustion to EVs and self driving.  Back to the races!
  • Reply 31 of 31
    As I more or less expected, there is nothing to the new Apple Watch that compels me to upgrade from my 6, nor wife wife either.

That is not to say that other's might find it a compelling upgrade.  Just not for us.
    How magnanimous of you 😜
    But next year, she goes for sure 😵🥴
    beowulfschmidt