iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max launch with ProMotion & Super Retina XDR display

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    dewme said:
    The iPhone Pros are amazing feats of engineering and product design. They also define a new standard for functional overkill for 95% of smartphone buyers. That's not to say that it's a problem for Apple to have a product that is as close to "no compromise" (other than weight and size) as one could ever hope for. They can afford to build it, there is a active market for it, and they have plenty of other options in their portfolio. If the iPhone was pizza, the Pro Max would be Pantera's "The Hunk" pizza with its 5 1/2 pounds of toppings. 
    The pizza you describe as comparable to iphone pro max is simply disgusting. Please respect the feelings (and knowledge) of the italian people.
    While early versions of pizza can be traced to Italy and especially France, where tomato and cheese on top of bread were staples of the poor, the modern version of pizza we all know and love (or hate) originated in the US.  Gli italiani non capiscono la pizza!
    tmayllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 76
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    k2kw said:

I am disappointed that Apple didn’t do TouchId under Display.   Obviously their execs have been sble to stay home and order everything via UberEats, etc., and didn’t have to re-enter their PassCode like regular people too often.
    All signs have pointed to that tech not being ready yet. It's not like they had the ability and chose not to.

I like the Touch ID on the power button better than on a screen, which Apple has already done.  I’m not understanding what the need is for touch ID on a screen anyway.  What does it get you?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 76
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Rob215 said:
    This is actually the first Apple Live Event I just about fell asleep on! No need for an event for these minuscule upgrades really. 
    I actually did fall asleep. Twice. Now I have to watch it again, damnit. 
  • Reply 64 of 76
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JWSC said:
    k2kw said:

I am disappointed that Apple didn’t do TouchId under Display.   Obviously their execs have been sble to stay home and order everything via UberEats, etc., and didn’t have to re-enter their PassCode like regular people too often.
    All signs have pointed to that tech not being ready yet. It's not like they had the ability and chose not to.

I like the Touch ID on the power button better than on a screen, which Apple has already done.  I’m not understanding what the need is for touch ID on a screen anyway.  What does it get you?
    I’ve asked that question a few times around here, and for some reason people get really annoyed with having to explain it. I like the TouchID on my iPad Air just fine, and to be honest, I really thought the Series 7 would add that feature this year. 

BTW, who is your avatar guy?
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 76
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
    Sales might be less than for the 12, due to the alleged "super cycle", but given that there are still something on the order of 760 million iPhones that haven't been upgraded to the iPhone 12, I'd still expect iPhone 13 sales to easily be "robust".

I'm surprised that so few here are excited by the addition of Pro Motion.

How did you miss the obvious?

When Samsung (or whoever) has a feature like a 120Hz display it’s described as a game changer and Apples lack of it on the iPhone 12 was a dealbreaker.

Now that the iPhone 13 has ProMotion it’s suddenly a “meh” feature. It’s the only way trolls can continue to bash Apple.
    'game changer' is perhaps a little over the top, but if a feature brings a new dynamic to everyday use and people are impacted positively by it, then it becomes something to be looked for on flagships.

That means any flagship without a particular feature will automatically be seen as 'lacking' in some key way. 

That is what has happened with the iPhone over the last few years. 

It's great that so many missing features (especially in photography) have slowly been implemented but the longer they take in arriving, the more 'meh' they will be.

You will have to learn to live with that and not take it as Apple 'bashing'. 

Apple deserved criticism for not bringing some of the most popular market advances to the flagship iPhones in good time. 

It's their decision and we, as users, can decide to pass on the refresh or buy into it (aware of what is missing). 

Don't expect an under display fingerprint reader, a missing notch, folding phone to generate much buzz either. 

Just be thankful the features arrive on the phone you choose to buy. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 66 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
    Sales might be less than for the 12, due to the alleged "super cycle", but given that there are still something on the order of 760 million iPhones that haven't been upgraded to the iPhone 12, I'd still expect iPhone 13 sales to easily be "robust".

When Samsung (or whoever) has a feature like a 120Hz display it’s described as a game changer and Apples lack of it on the iPhone 12 was a dealbreaker.

Now that the iPhone 13 has ProMotion it’s suddenly a “meh” feature. It’s the only way trolls can continue to bash Apple.
    'game changer' is perhaps a little over the top, but if a feature brings a new dynamic to everyday use and people are impacted positively by it, then it becomes something to be looked for on flagships.

That means any flagship without a particular feature will automatically be seen as 'lacking' in some key way. 

It's great that so many missing features (especially in photography) have slowly been implemented but the longer they take in arriving, the more 'meh' they will be.

Apple deserved criticism for not bringing some of the most popular market advances to the flagship iPhones in good time. 

It's their decision and we, as users, can decide to pass on the refresh or buy into it (aware of what is missing). 

Don't expect an under display fingerprint reader, a missing notch, folding phone to generate much buzz either. 

You again...

How are those iPhones sales doing this year?

Pretty swell, right? A "super cycle" that doesn't want to stop at 240 million iPhones.

Apple sells more premium phones than any other company, and with their minimal number of model introductions this year, four to be exact, their supply chain for "new" features needs to be much deeper, than as an example, Samsung, for VRR screens, often by magnitudes.

So when you talk about Apple being behind on some features, that's true, but it's also the reason for Apple generates such huge ASP, Margin, and Profit, from the iPhone line; Apple just plain sells more premium phones than anyone else.

Funny, but you always pointed to Apple as being "late" to 5G as a "disaster", and I always countered that Apple wouldn't lose any sales, and here it is now, the second generation of 5G for Apple, and Apple decidedly leads all the Android OEM's in 5G sales.

Have a nice day!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 76
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Solid evolutionary upgrade. Doesn't shake the world but I don't expect a smart phone iteration to produce unicorn tears.

Very curious about what people want from their phones and what they are expecting in a new one. My primary need is ever increasing quality of camera and increased battery life. They delivered on both. 

Another ever improving feature that I need is damage resistance and water resistance as I am clumsy and the kids run off with my phone and sometimes it goes smash.

Very nice bonus with capability to run offline Siri and some of the computational photography and cinematic features are hard to accomplish. 

Frankly I think that iPhone's greatest Achilles heel at the moment is that the software side is lagging behind the hardware in truly leveraging all the new capabilities and pushing the art of the possible. Both in iOS and in the apps on the platform.. It is a bit like the console challenge where games truly leverage the platform to its full around the time the hardware becomes obsolete. With the iPhone the OODA loop of hardware refresh is too fast for the developer community to keep up.
    Well I want my iPhone to have continuous optical zoom, a privacy filter built in to the screen so that it's not visible to other people besides me, and a much better battery life. Frankly, battery life is the number one thing where Android phones are far ahead of the iPhone.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    dk49 said:
    Solid evolutionary upgrade. Doesn't shake the world but I don't expect a smart phone iteration to produce unicorn tears.

Very curious about what people want from their phones and what they are expecting in a new one. My primary need is ever increasing quality of camera and increased battery life. They delivered on both. 

Another ever improving feature that I need is damage resistance and water resistance as I am clumsy and the kids run off with my phone and sometimes it goes smash.

Very nice bonus with capability to run offline Siri and some of the computational photography and cinematic features are hard to accomplish. 

Frankly I think that iPhone's greatest Achilles heel at the moment is that the software side is lagging behind the hardware in truly leveraging all the new capabilities and pushing the art of the possible. Both in iOS and in the apps on the platform.. It is a bit like the console challenge where games truly leverage the platform to its full around the time the hardware becomes obsolete. With the iPhone the OODA loop of hardware refresh is too fast for the developer community to keep up.
    Well I want my iPhone to have continuous optical zoom, a privacy filter built in to the screen so that it's not visible to other people besides me, and a much better battery life. Frankly, battery life is the number one thing where Android phones are far ahead of the iPhone.
    I don't find that Android phones are all that much better in actual use that the iPhone, and I certainly believe that the iPhone 13 Pro Max will have an exemplary battery life.

Continuous optical zoom requires space, so the only way to get that, is with a folded optical design, rumors of which are to see release 2023 or 2024. Again, that supply chain needs to be deep enough to support the numbers of iPhones that Apple will sell.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 76
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

You again...

Pretty swell, right? A "super cycle" that doesn't want to stop at 240 million iPhones.

Apple sells more premium phones than any other company, and with their minimal number of model introductions this year, four to be exact, their supply chain for "new" features needs to be much deeper, than as an example, Samsung, for VRR screens, often by magnitudes.

So when you talk about Apple being behind on some features, that's true, but it's also the reason for Apple generates such huge ASP, Margin, and Profit, from the iPhone line; Apple just plain sells more premium phones than anyone else.

Funny, but you always pointed to Apple as being "late" to 5G as a "disaster", and I always countered that Apple wouldn't lose any sales, and here it is now, the second generation of 5G for Apple, and Apple decidedly leads all the Android OEM's in 5G sales.

Have a nice day!
    Well, at least you agreed with me on the point I was actually making. 

The rest is just filler you threw in for good measure. 

As for how sales are doing. Could it possibly be because Apple started correcting some of the mistakes from past years and is now seeing the benefits of those changes? You know, just maybe?

• Reply 70 of 76
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

You again...

Have a nice day!
    Well, at least you agreed with me on the point I was actually making. 

The rest is just filler you threw in for good measure. 

As for how sales are doing. Could it possibly be because Apple started correcting some of the mistakes from past years and is now seeing the benefits of those changes? You know, just maybe?

Apple certainly benefits from an iPhone user base  on the order of 1 billion units, with something on the order of 900 million iPhones left to upgrade to 5G, as an example. Don't expect the "super cycle" to die off with the release of the iPhone 13; it's the Energizer Bunny now.

As for "mistakes", I'm not seeing what you are, but feel free to elaborate, albeit it will be another one of your "but, but, Apple didn't do what I wanted by selling a cheap iPhone". There is, of course, the $399 entry point for the SE, and if you want to take credit for that, by all means, do so, but the SE's sales share is middling single digit, at best.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/804398/us-iphone-sales-by-model/
  • Reply 71 of 76
    I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max…. This update was Not enough for me to upgrade this year. Next year may be a different story.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 76
    davgreg said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Macro shots are awesome!

As is said: “your best camera is the one you’ve got with you”, and often that’s my iPhone. 
    Next time break out a Leica - then the iPhone will never be the best phone.
    Captain Obvious in the house
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 76
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

Heck, is there an Android phone which does portrait mode by stereoscopically computing nine planes of depth and increases background blur according to distance realtime and in the viewfinder (screen) before the shot is taken?

Last I looked, Android did a simple mask around the primary subject and applied a uniform blur to everything outside the mask in post. Maybe that's changed since then.
    Look up how 2019 Pixel 4 Portrait Mode works. What you described hasn't been the state of Android portrait mode since 2017 with Pixel 2.

EDIT: One of the earliest articles was from DPR Review, a professional camera resource, but this link is a bit more technical and from Google:
    https://ai.googleblog.com/2019/12/improvements-to-portrait-mode-on-google.html

Interesting ... any idea how many planes of distance it computes, and whether that's done realtime in the viewfinder (on screen prior to the shot) as it's been since the iPhone 7?

I've also been told the some Android phones implement something like Promotion too.

The problem with discussions comparing Android to iPhone is that all the virtues of every model of Android phone are amalgamated and concentrated into some kind of ideal virtual image and that super-duper ideal is then compared to the two very real models of iPhone that Apple puts out - so it's hard to get objective comparisons.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    tmay said:
    dk49 said:

I don't find that Android phones are all that much better in actual use that the iPhone, and I certainly believe that the iPhone 13 Pro Max will have an exemplary battery life.

Continuous optical zoom requires space, so the only way to get that, is with a folded optical design, rumors of which are to see release 2023 or 2024. Again, that supply chain needs to be deep enough to support the numbers of iPhones that Apple will sell.
    Huawei's phone had continuous optical zoom lens few years back, and that phone wasn't very thick. 

As for the privacy screen, I think it will be beneficial to almost everyone, especially when using iPhone in public areas and office space. HP already has this technology in their laptops.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    JWSC said:
    dewme said:
    The iPhone Pros are amazing feats of engineering and product design. They also define a new standard for functional overkill for 95% of smartphone buyers. That's not to say that it's a problem for Apple to have a product that is as close to "no compromise" (other than weight and size) as one could ever hope for. They can afford to build it, there is a active market for it, and they have plenty of other options in their portfolio. If the iPhone was pizza, the Pro Max would be Pantera's "The Hunk" pizza with its 5 1/2 pounds of toppings. 
    The pizza you describe as comparable to iphone pro max is simply disgusting. Please respect the feelings (and knowledge) of the italian people.
    While early versions of pizza can be traced to Italy and especially France, where tomato and cheese on top of bread were staples of the poor, the modern version of pizza we all know and love (or hate) originated in the US.  Gli italiani non capiscono la pizza!
    Tomatoes came to Italy in the 1500s from the Americas, so anyone claiming Italy as a source of any of this shit has no idea what they're talking about.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    JWSC said:
    k2kw said:

I don't know, and I don't think it's the great idea people make it out to be. It'd have to be a specific spot in the display that has some indicator (ie a false Touch ID "button") where you'd have to place your thumb/finger, and that sure as fuck sounds slower than Face ID in most cases.