Apple has started preorders for the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
The Apple Store is back online with iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max models ready for preorder ahead of deliveries starting September 24.

The new iPhone 13 Pro
The new iPhone 13 Pro

Apple on Friday began accepting preorders for its latest flagship handsets, with early-bird buyers due to receive their device of choice on September 24. Preorders in China have already outpaced those of the iPhone 12 in 2020.

The iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini are available in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB storage options, with color choices pink, blue, Midnight, Starlight, and (PRODUCT)RED. The iPhone 13 starts at $799 for a model with 128GB of storage, while a 128GB version of the smaller iPhone 13 mini comes in at $699.

Highlights include a 6.1- or 5.4-inch Super Retina XDR with peak brightness of 1,200 nits and outdoor brightness of 800 nits. Apple has reduced the size of iPhone's TrueDepth "notch" by 20%, making the Face ID and front-camera system less obtrusive.

A new A15 Bionic processor with a 6-core CPU and 4-core GPU powers both the iPhone 13 and 13 mini, with early benchmarks showing an approximately 21% bump in multi-core CPU performance. Graphics capabilities are less impressive at a 14% increase over last year's model.

iPhone 13 in Blue

Apple iPhone 13

Apple's iPhone 13 features a ceramic shield front, Super Retina XDR display with True Tone and an A15 Bionic chip.

Camera improvements across the line

As usual, Apple put a focus on improving iPhone 13's camera system, which is now arranged in a diagonal configuration to fit a sensor-shift stabilized f/1.6 wide angle module with larger sensor for increased low-light performance. The ultra-wide sensor is faster and features an f/2.4 aperture for better light gathering capabilities.

New camera software features include "Cinematic mode" for automatic focusing on subjects in a scene. The technology can anticipate when another subject enters the frame and automatically shift focus to the new player. Users can manually adjust focus after footage is shot. "Photographic Styles" is another new feature that allows users to set pre-defined image adjustments that are applied to iPhone's processing pipeline.

Apple's iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Apple's top-tier iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max are also available today in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1TB capacities. The devices come in Graphite, gold, silver and Sierra Blue, and prices start at $999 for a 128GB iPhone 13 Pro and $1,099 for a 128GB iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Enhancements to "Pro" series devices include ProMotion variable refresh rate technology, which is applied to both 6.1- and 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR displays. The feature dynamically adjusts refresh rates based on content and user activity, providing smoother graphics while saving battery life.

Apple's best camera systems receive new hardware including an enlarged wide angle sensor with f/1.8 aperture that boasts an up to 2.2x improvement in low-light situations. A 77mm equivalent telephoto lenser with f/2.8 aperture provides up to 3x optical zoom, while an ultra-wide f/1.8 camera gets autofocus and a faster sensor.

Powering the iPhone 13 Pro series is an A15 Bionic chip with five GPU cores, good enough for a 55% increase in Metal benchmarking compared to iPhone 12 Pro.

Apple is launching the flagship iPhones initially in Australia, Canada, China, Germany, India, Japan, the UK, the U.S. and more than 30 other countries and regions. The handsets will be available in Turkey starting October 1, and in Malaysia, Mexico, South Korea, Thailand and nearly 10 other countries and regions on October 8.

First US preorders are schedule to arrive at customer doorsteps on September 24, the same day that Apple Stores are expected to receive launch day supplies.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Got it via the app, started at 8:04 EDT. Sept 24 delivery.  (Had to avoid stepping on my November vacation,)

fwiw: graphite 13 Pro Max, 256GB
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I started the order process as soon as the store came online and couldn’t ever finish my pre-order. 
    Tried multiple times, had processing issues repeatedly, finally gave up as my delivery time slipped from September into October. 
    Good news for Apple - apparently the demand is so high even the credit card processing system crashed. 
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 3 of 31
    October already? Looks like I was right to not do my usual, “wait until the dust settles” afternoon order placement. 
    jas99
  • Reply 4 of 31
    I was to the shipping/delivery part and shipping was already to second week in October. Switched to in store pickup and will pick up the iPhone 13 Pro Max with 1TB in silver (preferred color this year as my wife gets my gray iPhone 12 and her current iPhone 11 goes to one of her daughters etc etc...) on 24 Sep in the morning.

At that point only one of the seven Phoenix stores still had silver in stock.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    jas99 said:
    I started the order process as soon as the store came online and couldn’t ever finish my pre-order. 
    Tried multiple times, had processing issues repeatedly, finally gave up as my delivery time slipped from September into October. 
    Good news for Apple - apparently the demand is so high even the credit card processing system crashed. 
    Same here. I couldn’t place the order multiple times and repeatedly received an error that my Apple Card failed to authorize. I tried at least 10 times. It still shows 24th as delivery, it just won’t go through. 
    chrisr2sf
  • Reply 6 of 31
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Had some initial issues but than was able to place the order via the pre-pre order at around 5:04 PST. Sierra Blue 512 GB being delivered on September 24.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Pretty much the worst pre-order experience I've had. App "lost" the pre-registered pre-order. Rejected my Apple Card several times, so eventually used another card. Lost my pickup window twice. Entire process took 30 minutes.

Still getting my phone on the 24th, however. Although delivery times had reached out to mid-October, my local Apple store still had inventory and time slots available.
    chrisr2sf
  • Reply 8 of 31
    I think Apple has sparse inventory and put more at the stores than the central warehouses. I was surprised that at 5:09 (logged in at 5:03) only one of seven local stores had silver in stock. Not complaining as I got one, but surprised the stock vanished.  Wonder what the lines will be like at the stores on the 24th?

edited September 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Personally, I think it's way better ordering through your carrier. Usually never any issues and I always get release date delivery. My carrier preorders went live like 5 minutes before 8am. 
  • Reply 10 of 31
    I did the preorder setup. Went my mac to complete the order this morning and got alternatively 'bad gateway' and an empty shopping bag, with no preorder to be found. Went to the iPhone app and it was there. Tried to complete the order several times and got messages that apple pay hadn't completed the order. Then it said something about the order timing out and being cancelled. Started to re-build the order, and the "confirm with carrier" step would't work because the previous order was still in the system. Gave up.

Received an email confirming my order, to arrive on September 24. The charge is indicated on my card. Online order lookup isn't working properly.

Good end result (I think), but not a smooth ride.

UPDATE: Order lookup in iPhone Apple Store app is functional. Same info as confirmation email. Presumably, they’ve sold a lot of iPhones this morning. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 11 of 31
    hmlongco said:
    Pretty much the worst pre-order experience I've had. App "lost" the pre-registered pre-order. Rejected my Apple Card several times, so eventually used another card. Lost my pickup window twice. Entire process took 30 minutes.

Still getting my phone on the 24th, however. Although delivery times had reached out to mid-October, my local Apple store still had inventory and time slots available.
    Same here, worst preorder experience ever in the past 10 years!  Still won’t process my order for almost an hour now and dates have slipped into October. Great job Apple😡
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Its been a while since ive preordered my gf has sprint I have att, do I select sprint or connect to carrier later, didn't they use to me different models between cdma and gsm? or is it all the same now
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Forgot to mention that in order to get the military service discount, I had to go through the Apple store. So that 10% discount plus the 3% cash back from the Apple Card shaved 13% off of the staggering list price. We also have a significant military discount on my Verizon account. Been with Verizon continuously since September of 1988.

No pre-authorizations are showing on the Apple Card for the iPhone or the two iPad mini 6 units or order as well replacing elderly iPad mini 3 and 5. I did get the Apple order confirmation  number in an email for the iPhone order. 
    edited September 2021 Japhey
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Personally, I think it's way better ordering through your carrier. Usually never any issues and I always get release date delivery. My carrier preorders went live like 5 minutes before 8am. 

Agreed.  AT&T let me start pre-order at 4:58 and I had the phone ordered with a 9/24 delivery date by 5am sharp.
    Japhey
  • Reply 15 of 31
    In the upgrade plan and did the pre-order set up.  Messages received have alternated between Citizen One declined my loan, there was an interruption in processing, my Apple Card payment was not authorized, I need to correct my card info, and that I exceeded the order quantity limit. It’s 5:55 am PDT and still cannot complete my order.  I’ve been trying since 5:05 when the store became available.  I’ve never had these problems before.  

Edit:  after another 40 minutes, I gave up on the 3% back & switched from my Apple Card. The order worked first try.  
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Pretty smooth for me:  I was able to shop and add the items to pre-order shopping cart yesterday.  I only had to pull my info which took 10 seconds, click checkout, choose a delivery method, then done!  The delivery is Oct 6th for me
  • Reply 17 of 31
    After having pre-order in place I thought completing would be a one-button checkout. But it wouldn’t accept my Apple Card for payment, forced to use another CC. I thought nothing could get worse than Angela Ahrendts, but too many failures by Deirdre O’Brien over the past two years show a disconnect between management and users. I’m saddened by these failures.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    JFC_PA said:
    Got it via the app, started at 8:04 EDT. Sept 24 delivery.  (Had to avoid stepping on my November vacation,)

fwiw: graphite 13 Pro Max, 256GB
    Got mine via the website at around the same time - I had done all the prep work and submitted the order just as the store came online with an ApplePay/Apple Card full payment and a AppleCare+ Loss and Theft monthly payment for delivery September 24th. Whole process was maybe a minute while I waffled on whether to enter credit card information of go through ApplePay (which advertises a 2% cash back rate; ultimately decided to go ApplePay hoping the payment system would recognize I was making an Apple Equipment purchase and would send me a 3% rebate and would short circuit payment approval).

fwiw: Sierra Blue iPhone 13 Pro Max, 512GB

Holy kamolie - reading these comments it appears that shipping times really slipped fast considering how boring all the YouTubers and armchair reviewers have been saying this phone is.

Glad I was my usual paranoid self and preoptimized the purchase :*.
    edited September 2021 JFC_PAJaphey
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    My “pre approval, speed through pre order” experience was 57 minutes about 30 retries, and apple kept rejecting the Apple Card about 15+ Attempts. Visa worked on the 7th attempt with that card. Citizen one kept denying my preapproval about 5+ attempts, etc. the app kept failing cc payment saying to check the red fields which were always entered correctly. while this is not as bad as the iPhone 4 preorder, it’s up there. 

For those who don’t recall iPhone 4 pre order via ATT had to be done on pencil and paper. The computers couldn’t be fixed for a couple weeks. 

In 3rd place was when the iPhone upgrade program had to be done by hand. Orders went through and then customers notified it failed hours later. They called everyone the following week and had to do it over the phone by hand.  Apple did make that right and reset everyone’s place in line. Mine went from release day to mid December. They did get it to me on release day. 

For a phone that at first review has the smallest incremental improvement of any iPhone generation, I’m surprised there is still such a huge demand. 
  • Reply 20 of 31
    It would seem the initial response was in excess of planned capacity. Not sure as some have suggested here that that is indicative of some high-level degree of failure. Anecdotally from comments here it seems the system smoothed out within an hour or so. It's surely disappointing if you did everything right, set up a pre-order and the initial scrum caused your delivery date to be pushed back, but in the context of everything else going on it the world, that's not a disaster.