Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max already seeing shipping date slips

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
Following Apple's starting to take pre-orders for the iPhone 13 range, the iPhone 13 Pro Max has already slipped back more than a week.

Apple's iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro
Apple's iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro

As appears to have already happened in China with its early preorder release, US stocks of the iPhone 13 range are beginning to see delays. An hour after the preorders began in the States, the iPhone 13 Pro Max had already slipped back.

Currently, all models are showing as being available for in-store pickup on September 24, as before. However, delivery of the iPhone 13 Pro Max is now listed as being between October 6 and October 11, with some colors of the 1TB model beyond that.

The iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, and iPhone 13 Pro remain available for delivery on September 24. In China, the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini will still be delivered on that date, but the iPhone 13 Pro has already slipped back to between two and three weeks.

It's a similar situation in the UK. There, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is currently backordered and won't deliver until between October 4 and October 11.

However, the UK is also seeing a delay on the base iPhone 13 model. Around an hour into preorders, that too had slipped back to between October 4 and October 11.

It's not possible to conclude that the iPhone 13 Pro Max is the best-selling version of the new range, however. Apple does not release details of how many it chooses to make, or has production capacity to manufacture, of any particular model.

However, it is at least possible that the iPhone 13 Pro Max may be selling more than Apple expected.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I was just telling my wife that soon, the deliveries will be slipping. Didn’t think it would happen so fast. Well, at least we made it in time.
    tmay
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Apple Card FAIL. Can’t even order the dang thing. 
    rinosaurwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I had the same thing happened with my Apple Card how do use a different card to put the payment down but my phone is still shipping on time. iPhone 13 Pro Max and gold. Thank God I have enough time to answer the info and still get my order on time
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Wait, that many people are buying the 1TB PM or did they just not produce that many? That’s one pricey phone
  • Reply 5 of 27
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    Just ordered the 13 Pro Max 256GB through AT&T. They’re offering $500 early upgrade discount. New phone, less $/month upgrading with Next from a 12 Pro. Win win. 
  • Reply 6 of 27
    rinosaur said:
    Wait, that many people are buying the 1TB PM or did they just not produce that many? That’s one pricey phone
    For that fact alone Apple probably didn't think they were going to sell that many.

Most think the 512 GB capacity an extravagance, but I tend to keep a lot of video media on my phone in case I get stuck in a parking lot waiting for a family member.

Also, with ProRes media coming if you want to use it at all you'll need a ton of capacity.
    edited September 2021 tmay
  • Reply 7 of 27
    pslice said:
    I used Apple Pay through the Apple store app. I pre registered yesterday, and at 8:00 confirmed the two orders. Coming on the 24th.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    rinosaur said:
    For that fact alone Apple probably didn't think they were going to sell that many.

Most think the 512 GB capacity an extravagance, but I tend to keep a lot of video media on my phone in case I get stuck in a parking lot waiting for a family member.

Also, with ProRes media coming if you want to use it at all you'll need a ton of capacity.
    I ordered the 512 for myself and the 256 for my wife. My daughter also ordered the 512. My daughter and I take a lot of photos and videos, and we’ll both be using Apple’s pro modes, so more storage is called for. My wife only uses about 10% of her storage, but I get the next one up for her anyway. I can see people wanting the 1TB option if they’re planning on taking a lot of 4k60 and 120 using ProRez for anything other than just fun.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Ordered the apparently mythical 13PM1TB in the first hour. Delivery October 1. Slippage, indeed. 
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I think a big thing is that AT&T gives you an extra $300 if you get the pro or pro max. You get a $700 credit for the 13 or 13 mini and a $1000 credit for the pro or pro max. It’s essentially money you’re throwing away if you don’t opt for those on an unlimited plan upgrade. 

So I’m sure that pushed a significant number of people to either the pro or pro max that may have otherwise opted for the 13, and I’m sure that threw off some of Apple’s calculations on initial supply. 

Checking out was easy enough, even though I had a hiccup.  I had used the “get ready” thing last night. Which was useful in giving me a sense of what I wanted and how much it would cost. I was kind of shocked when I realized I could get a 256GB pro max for $5/month. I ended up going with the 512GB just to be safe. I currently am only using about 120GB on my 255 GB XS max. 

But when it came time to checkout this morning I couldn’t get my “get ready” loaded order to show up. I just kept getting an “almost ready” page. So I just did my order all over again, which worked fine, especially since I had already gone through the process the night before, so I knew exactly what options to choose. Got my order in by 8:10. 512GB pro max in graphite. $11/month on my At&T bill, $95 down (taxes). Ended up being cheaper than my XS Max was 3 years ago, lol. Listed for delivery on launch day. 

In the rush I forgot to order my case tho. 
  • Reply 11 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    melgross said:
    pslice said:
    I used Apple Pay through the Apple store app. I pre registered yesterday, and at 8:00 confirmed the two orders. Coming on the 24th.
    Did you use the Apple Card for your Apple pay transaction? When people were checking out and got to the double tap for Apple pay, using the Apple Card, the transactions came back with an error or wouldn't go through. You can use any major credit card or debit card with Apple pay or even your Apple cash balance. This seems to be a specific problem with the Apple Card being used this morning.

• Reply 12 of 27
    Apple Card via Apple Pay has been a fail for me at regular NFC tap to pay POS terminals. Almost a dozen vendors, the card won't take... If I select a different bank's card in my Wallet, they work fine. Just the Apple Card.

I've texted w/ support and they don't know anything, claiming the merchant must not take Apple Card, which I know isn't true since the local merchants don't have reason to do that or even know how to do that.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Lessons learned. Did the pre-order thing on my iPad. Got up at 4:50 a.m. and opened all devices to Apple Store: iMac, iPad, and iPhone. At 4:03 the AppleStore page on iMac’s Safari went live, but no pre-order registered there. Shortly after, it went live on iPhone and order was there, ready to approve, and I did so. It went through smoothly on ApplePay/AppleCard. After that, page went live on iPad, the device I originally used to pre-order. Lessons: Use Apple Store app on iOS device, not web page on Mac, have more than one iOS device registered to the same account open and use the one that goes live first to execute the purchase. 
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Just ordered a 1TB Pro (not Max) in Graphite...estimated delivery date of Oct 11 - Oct 18 :-/
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I ordered the 13 Pro (512GB) through the Apple Store
    and am selling my 12 Pro Max to Decluttr. The reason I went with the Pro this time around is because the new Pro Max is a bit thicker and heavier then its predecessor. Thankfully both Pro models have the same specs inside. 

• Reply 16 of 27
    Haha. It happened to me. I tried to order the 1TB Blue at 5AM, Apple Card fail. Eventually it went through at 5:15. Ship date 24th.

But I accidentally got a second order (Apple Card fail) and that one at 5:32 AM (email confirmed) was already for Oct 6-11th.

Demand is crazy, or parts are limited. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 27
    A lot of Apple Card woes being reported on Twitter. Not just here. I'm going back to buying from carriers, with a decent cash back credit card.
    edited September 2021 lajolla86
  • Reply 18 of 27
    fjrabon said:

But when it came time to checkout this morning I couldn’t get my “get ready” loaded order to show up. I just kept getting an “almost ready” page. So I just did my order all over again, which worked fine, especially since I had already gone through the process the night before, so I knew exactly what options to choose. 
    Same here. I left the app running with all options selected and ready to order. Came back to it a minute or so into Pre-order, and it flashed over to a generic “Store’s almost ready” screen. When the store was ready, it wasn’t able to access my reservation. So back to square one. 

It also refused to give me the Verizon discount, so I shut it down and ordered through the MyVerizon app. $459.99 trade in for an 8(red). 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 19 of 27
    bluefire1 said:
    Thankfully both Pro models have the same specs inside. 

Other than battery life. 
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Appleish said:
    A lot of Apple Card woes being reported on Twitter. Not just here. I'm going back to buying from carriers, with a decent cash back credit card.

Lesson learned I guess. Apple needs to fix their payment processor. I wasn't even trying to do a trade in. Just buy outright. The amount of bundled (accessories) transactions they must be trying to handle... It's an OK credit card.
    edited September 2021