iPhone Upgrade Program & Apple Card causing iPhone 13 pre-order snags [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
The Apple Card is failing as a payment method for some customers trying to pre-order iPhone 13 from Apple's website, aggravated by issues with Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program.

Apple Card failing as a payment method for iPhone 13 pre-orders for some customers
Apple Card failing as a payment method for iPhone 13 pre-orders for some customers

Customers contacting AppleInsider, a staff member, and a few vocal users online have all encountered issues when trying to use their Apple Card to pre-order the iPhone 13. An unknown error appeared on the checkout page on the Apple Store, prompting customers to choose a different payment method.

Some individuals report that they attempted to use the card multiple times at checkout, though an error would appear each time. Unfortunately, the only fix in each case seems to be using a different card and eschewing the 3% cashback one would get from buying an Apple product.

Specifically, it seems customers cannot use Apple Card as a method of payment for the iPhone Upgrade Program. Other purchases made with Apple Card are going through, so it appears to be a processing issue on Apple's end.

Placing a pre-order for an iPhone is always a hectic process, with everyone trying to get their order in as soon as possible to avoid slipping shipment times. Unfortunately, this issue with Apple Card just creates additional frustration, especially for those who don't have other payment methods ready to go for the expensive purchase.

I couldn't even use my Apple Card: it kept throwing an error, so I had to use a different card. What gives? https://t.co/taQ952UVLk

-- Dan Moren (@dmoren)

Gee, my local breakfast place just let me order using the Apple Card. I wonder who else takes the Apple Card? Certainly not Apple. No. That would be silly.

-- jcieplinski (@jcieplinski)

Apple Store, let me count the number of ways you have failed me. pic.twitter.com/Oz1FAuaGGE

-- Neil Hughes (@thisisneil)

The iPhone 13 ships starting September 24 to those who managed to get an early pre-order in.

Update: Apple confirmed the Apple Card problem in an update to its system status webpage and said the issue was resolved at 9:36 a.m. Pacific.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "The iPhone 13 ships starting September 24 to those who managed to get an early pre-order in.”

Probably almost everyone who tried.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Heavy traffic woes. Has to be frustrating. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Yup, just happened to me  I had to use a different credit card  
  • Reply 4 of 32
    jas99jas99 Posts: 148member
    I confirm that. I gave up as I saw my delivery time slip farther and farther away every time I tried to pay. 
  • Reply 5 of 32
    I had a problem using Apple Card at Eagle Creek a few days ago, right after updating the OS to 14.8. I was able to enter the actual apple card number and other info and complete the transaction. 
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Apple Card failed for me as well had to use another card. 
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I tried manually entering my Apple card info several times, no dice. I finally got the order to go through using a different card. Fortunately I'm still set to receive my phone at launch.
    KillBillOG
  • Reply 8 of 32
    I had a problem using Apple Card at Eagle Creek a few days ago, right after updating the OS to 14.8. I was able to enter the actual apple card number and other info and complete the transaction. 
    I didn’t think you could enter your Apple Card number manually using Apple Pay?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    “at Eagle Creek”. So maybe at a physical store they could present the physical AppleCard or give them the number to enter?
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I got an error initially but upon a second try it went through with Apple Pay 
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Pretty much the worst pre-order experience I've had. App "lost" the pre-registered pre-order. Rejected my Apple Card several times, so eventually used another card. Lost my pickup window twice. Entire process took 30 minutes. 

Still getting my phone on the 24th, however. Although delivery times had reached out to mid-October, my local Apple store still had inventory and time slots available.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Payment snags here to. Oh and Citizen’s One BS as a topping. Not going to bother to upgrade for the first time since the second iPhone. Bad Apple. 
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Sorry for all those that had issues!

I set up the pre-register (with ATT trade-in) yesterday, Apple Store on my iPad refreshed this morning, confirmed my info, used Apple Pay with Apple Card. All went through without a hitch!

This was the easiest preorder for me, crazy enough. 

Seems like there are still quite a few phones for delivery on the 24th or store pickup. Not sure that’s a good or bad sign, hah. 

Although I did just look at my Apple Card in the Apple wallet and got an error. So definitely seems like there’s some issues behind the scenes. 
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I paid with my Apple Card and it worked just fine course I got in there as soon as pre-orders opened
    elector
  • Reply 15 of 32
    And don’t try to take a photo of your Apple Card. Think I will skip this upgrade. 
    KillBillOG
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Got in at 8:04 AM EDT for two iphones 13. Did the pre-order a few days ago after Apple event and it went like clock work. I used apple card for both purchases and the only thing I encountered was that it asked for the 3 digit code off the apple card. After I entered the security code, both are coming on Friday the 24th. and our cases are to be delivered on Wednesday 22nd.

Very easy transaction . Oh forgot to add I did not use apple card payments but paid for both with one payment.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 17 of 32
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    The problem applies only to those of us purchasing via the upgrade program.  I purchased a case with my card no problem. (After the iPhone purchase).  Support was of no help.  Where’s my 3% apple?
    KillBillOG
  • Reply 18 of 32
    The problem applies only to those of us purchasing via the upgrade program.  I purchased a case with my card no problem. (After the iPhone purchase).  Support was of no help.  Where’s my 3% apple?
    Yes I have gathered that the issue only affects those paying on the upgrade program. 

While shelling out full price and another $50+ dollars for the case can dent ones finances but I like to save up for these high end iPhones then purchase on Apple Card and then I pay it off almost immediately (when it clears) this way I get the 3% on the devices and the cases.

I was however thinking not getting this iPhone this year but my mother-in-law was thinking of getting a new iPhone from her 7, so I said you can have one of my wife's iPhone 12 Pro or my iphone 12 Pro saving her that higher price.
    KillBillOG
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    I pre register each year, always seems to be issues though. 57 minutes and 30+ attempts to go through this morning. The Apple store app absolutely refuses to accept the Apple Card for the upgrade program. Visa worked on the 7th attempt of that card info. Of course there are the links to chat or call Apple support which all fail, result in a try contacting us later message. 

What’s the point of pre register if citizen one mistakenly denies it during preorder?  Then later it goes through citizen one just fine, and they never email the reason why it was declined.  The error message says they will email why it was declined,. I suppose my main complaint is to Apple still using citizen one for only the iPhone upgrade program. Apple is allowing Apple Card monthly payments direct for iphone, iMac and iPad purchases. Just not for the upgrade program they push. 

For those that don’t recall the first upgrade cycle of that program, only upgrade members had issues with online orders. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    If Apple Pay doesn't work you can run the card like a normal credit card. You won't get the 3% cash back because it's regular transaction, but you can still use the card.

I just had this happen with TMobile. For some reason my monthly auto pay didn't couldn't be completed with my Apple Card? I called to see what the deal was because of the recent data breach. I was told that my payment info was removed after the failed attempt? I am not sure the actual reason to be honest as the woman I spoke with was a little vague when answering questions. So I made the payment over the phone with her and had her re-activate my auto pay with my Apple Card. I only got 1% cash back instead of the 3% I had been getting since 2019? After a chat and call with Goldman Sachs we figured out I needed to go into the TMobile app set up apple pay using my Apple Card again and then make sure my auto pay was set up to use Apple Pay as the preferred payment method.