Apple faces labor relations charge, OSHA investigation over fired employee

Posted:
in General Discussion
Ex-Apple senior manager Ashley Gjovik's firing is being investigated by the National Labor Relations Board.

Apple Park

The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) automatically investigates all complaints it receives, and Gjovik has reportedly filed a case over Apple's firing of her. Should the NLRB investigation support Gjovik's accusation, it will then issue a formal complaint against Apple.

According to Business Insider, Gjovik's filing centers on a charge that Apple used "termination as retaliation."

"Apple can try to rule with an iron fist, but the company is nothing without its employees," Gjovik said to the publication. "They need us. The more we speak up, the more we join together, the more they will have to give, instead of take or threaten."

"I hope my continued fight and the ongoing press coverage around these concerns will force them to do better," she continued. "At the very least, I hope it inspires employees to still speak up."

Separately, Ashley Gjovik has been given approval from Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and California's Department of Fair Employment & Housing to file a private lawsuit against Apple.

Gjovik has also filed an Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) complaint about her office being located on a Superfund site. It too will be investigated.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    DoomFreakDoomFreak Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    I am glad to see that Apple's labor practices are being investigated.  For years I have heard about Apple's unfair labor practices against women and minorities.  These incidents should definitely be investigated.  ... all of them.
    AI_liaswilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Superfund site? Most of California is located on former and current superfund sites. I spent 30+ years working on one in the Bay Area. Because of past indiscretions, like dumping oil, gas and cleaning solvents on the ground, many areas have tainted ground water just like many parts of Michigan. We’ll never be able to clean all of it up.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    DoomFreak said:
    I am glad to see that Apple's labor practices are being investigated.  For years I have heard about Apple's unfair labor practices against women and minorities.  These incidents should definitely be investigated.  ... all of them.
    “Heard”, eh? Give us solid proofs of what you heard. Please. DoomFreak.
    sdw2001applguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    DoomFreak said:

Bot alert.  

edited September 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 15
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Bosa said:
    It will take the NRLB 5 seconds to figure out that Ms Ashley is a complete pychopath 

You forget the NLRB is probably staffed (or at least managed by, and who hires staff of similar thinking) by political appointees who have the same outlook as this former Apple person.  

• Reply 6 of 15
    Bosa said:
    It will take the NRLB 5 seconds to figure out that Ms Ashley is a complete pychopath 

in addition to claiming a compliment from superior is harassment, Apple Park is built on toxic waste dump, as well as her apartment, causing her to be ill, but no, it has nothing to do with her tattoos lol

i wonder if now she has seen aliens sent to kidnap her by Tim Cook…it’s been a week
    I’m sure she sourced the ink for her tattoo or made it herself from healthy herbs and minerals. Lol
  • Reply 7 of 15
    This is just a formality.

I doubt Apple would fire any employee, especially one who has no compunctions about running to the press, unless they were 100% sure it was done legally.

this is just a lay kick at the can for this person to imply Apple did something wrong. When the investigation concludes Apple was justified maybe she’ll shut up with her wild accusations, long on rumor and short on fact. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    This is just a formality.

I doubt Apple would fire any employee, especially one who has no compunctions about running to the press, unless they were 100% sure it was done legally.

this is just a lay kick at the can for this person to imply Apple did something wrong. When the investigation concludes Apple was justified maybe she’ll shut up with her wild accusations, long on rumor and short on fact. 

The NLRB and OSHA are completely toothless.  So is the EOEC.  It's done for PR purposes and civil suit purposes.  And I agree..no way Apple fires an employee without going through the proper process.  This woman sounds like a huge pain in the ass who broke her NDA/confidentiality and will now try to get a payday and her 15 minutes out of it.  
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I'd have fired her, too. Not because of her complaints, but because of her conduct. No one at a company this big gets fired these days without a massive paper trail because nutjobs like her like to file appeals with the EEOC, NLRB, and OSHA because "I didn't do anything wrong! Apple screwed me!". And after a lengthy investigation of her "complaints", and her, I'm sure the paper trail could circle Apple Park a few times, all the while being on paid leave at her request.

BTW, the prop 65 warning on the door of every building in California generally takes the teeth out of her "superfund" complaint.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Perhaps a better pre-hire vetting would have prevented this entire situation from occurring...  although then you run the risk of claims of discriminatory hiring practices.  Damned if you do and damed if you don't, I guess.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    DoomFreak said:
    Garbage. Apple is the most diverse large company with inclusive policies on earth.

You heard? What you heard was that little man who lives inside your head and talks to you.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Gjovik the martyr who is doing her best to become a public figure claiming to fight for all.

If even half of what I have read on AI, 9to5 and other similar sites is true any company would fire her.

The sense of entitlement is unreal.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Ashley’s been having a very tough year on numerous fronts. In March, she wrote this:
    https://t.co/i68rOWV0Wb
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Ashley’s been having a very tough year on numerous fronts. In March, she wrote this:
    https://t.co/i68rOWV0Wb
    She contradicts her own story in this. After spending a ton of cash trying to prove her apartment was to blame. The results cam back negative so she switched to claiming the test was the wrong one. She now claim samples need to be collected for 6 months to be effective. If the particles are in such small concentrations that it takes 6 months to find a trace of it, they are not making you sick
    williamlondon