iPhone Upgrade Program & Apple Card causing iPhone 13 pre-order snags [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Bosa said:
    The problem applies only to those of us purchasing via the upgrade program.  I purchased a case with my card no problem. (After the iPhone purchase).  Support was of no help.  Where’s my 3% apple?
    Did you do the pre- register that was available since Tuesday? No problems for me
    A friend of mine did the pre registration and when he logged in this morning to try and grab a 13 Pro Max all of his pre reg info was gone. He had to go through the whole process again but eventually got it done. He was also not using the AC?

My other buddy is in the upgrade program ( 13 Pro )  and had the issue with his apple card not working and then being locked out after too many attempts. He has been waiting for an hour on chat for a GS rep to help. 

• Reply 22 of 32
    I've been using the Upgrade program for two years now and this would have been the third. Citizens pre-approved the upgrade loan. But today, because of the Apple Card failure, Citizens declined the loan. Talked to Citizens and they say I should use a different card. Nah, I want that 3%. They said they will approve once Apple Card problem fixed. Talked to Goldman Sachs and they said my Apple Card is good to go. So the failure is all on Apple. I think they should be sending out new phones according to the dates you made your pre-order. Those of us in the Upgrade program are being penalized with later delivery because of Apple's failure. What a Cluster.
    kiehtan
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Had my pre-order all set up, but ran into the Apple Card issue during checkout. After numerous attempts over the next four hours, my shipping date slipped into October and I canceled my order. I guess the iPhone 13 WAS unlucky! :neutral: 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Sounds like most of this is from crushing demand on both Apple's side and Citizen One's side.  This is why I typically avoid pre-orders and/or launch day purchases when possible.  With my last several phones, I've waited until at least November or even January to upgrade.  At that point you can order from Apple, your carrier or waltz into an Apple Store and get one shortly or even immediately.  

Not criticizing anyone who does it, but I've seen massive issues going back to 2008.  That was the whole iPhone 3G/MobileMe debacle.  I was going to stand in line, but couldn't because I had a flight later that day (July 2008).  I'm glad I didn't get one on launch day, because people had activation issues for days and even weeks.  I'd imagine this issue today will be solved very shortly.  

hammeroftruth
  • Reply 25 of 32
    EricMCSE76EricMCSE76 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Same thing as others.... wouldn't work from iPhone, iPad, or from a laptop going to the full site.  Didn't work as it was entered, didn't work if it was re-entered - got the various random errors mentioned in the above screen shot in addition to a pop up saying that my application has been declined for the loan through CitizensOne and I would be getting a letter explaining.  A non-AppleCard was used / went right through. I attempted multiple times from each device from 8:00am-8:30am EST.  Non-AppleCard worked on the first try, no problem.

• Reply 26 of 32
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    I had a problem using Apple Card at Eagle Creek a few days ago, right after updating the OS to 14.8. I was able to enter the actual apple card number and other info and complete the transaction. 
    I didn’t think you could enter your Apple Card number manually using Apple Pay?
    That we had to enter the Apple Card number at all while using the AppleStore App was a prewarning… You shouldn’t have needed to. Apple F’d up and essentially screwed over some of there most ardent customers. 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    I had the same problem. Citizen loan with Apple Card rejected. Switched it to another card and worked fine. Got day one delivery still. When I got the email from Citizen about the new loan, I logged in and changed the autopay card back to Apple Card, which it accepted just fine.

We’ll see if the first auto payment gets rejected. That’s happened to me before, but started working after doing a manual payment with the same Apple Card. Make no sense why that bank and that card don’t work well together.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    The really annoying thing is unless you cancel and reenter the order you cannot move the initial payment from your other credit card to the Apple card. They say they can't do that. What happened to Apple's great customer service and experience? Apple screwed up they should make this right. My delivery date showed 9/24 when I clicked to finish the transaction and then by the time I got it to take another card the delivery date was 10/6-10/11.  Epic failure and lousy customer service when at least trying to get it on the Apple card. And so much for the pre-pre order process this time round. I guess they just don't want to give the 3% discount on the initial payment. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Upgrade program member, Apple Card user and Citizens One loan holder here, this happened to me as well. No luck at launch time using my Apple Card or any other card. After getting different answers from a half dozen different Apple phone support people, I gave up. Not happy with this experience at all. 
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I think the problem lies with how merchants process virtual cards. The Apple Card does have a number, but it can be changed at any time. When you setup an iPhone upgrade plan with Citizen’s One, they use a system that captures your card #. Since it’s a monthly payment, something in the system blocks the transaction and I’m assuming because the Apple Card’s number doesn’t register as a physical card. The strange thing is you can use another card and change it on their website. I haven’t tried the Apple Card on it, but you can try to do that and see if it works. 

Coincidentally you can’t do Applecare monthly using Apple Card last I checked. They might have fixed it for this launch. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    After this year, I'm going back to ordering from a carrier with a non-Apple Card cash back credit card. Also, there are too many gotchas in the Apple Upgrade Program.