Apple pushes Find My support for AirPods Pro to after iOS 15 launch

Posted:
in iOS
AirPods Pro and AirPods Max will not now get Find My support until an iOS 15 update "later this fall."

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro

Apple's expansion of Find My support to more devices is still due to include AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max, but like several other new iOS 15 features, it has been delayed.

"Use the Find My network to get an approximate location of your missing AirPods Pro or AirPods Max," Apple continues to say on its iOS 15 feature page. "This will help you get within Bluetooth range so you can play a sound and locate them."

However, the description now has a footnote, which says, "Coming later this fall."

There are no further details, but it means that Find My AirPods Pro, AirPods Max support will not be included in the initial release of iOS 15.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Again a tentpole feature disappearing in future updates. Disappointing to say the least.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Come on now!   When have you ever known Apple to release all features day one?  No need to be disappointed. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    It’s not unusual in sw development to reach a point where you have to answer the question “do we devote more of our remaining time testing the set of features that appear to be ready or do we try to squeeze in another feature (or features) that may not be quite so ready?” 

This is not an easy question to answer and is often dependent on how the team performed the last time they were faced with the same scenario. 

With continuous integration/delivery/release development the penalty for holding off until a later release is really not too bad. When releases were big deals with lots of ceremony and packaging (CDs, etc.) the penalties for being wrong were much greater. 
    edited September 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 5
    PassingBy said:
    Come on now!   When have you ever known Apple to release all features day one?  No need to be disappointed. 
    Yeah great but now they miss all important ones. Why not delay the whole release of ios15?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Looking forward to it.   Airpods are perhaps one of the easiest Apple products to lose or misplace.

I replaced 2/3's of my grandson's airpods piece by piece.   The case & charging cord were lost when his family was leaving their hotel room after a vacation, he had the airpods in his ears but the case was plugged in charging.  His mom didn't see it because she claimed the dark case it was in blended in with whatever it was lying on.

While nothing is idiot proof, any help will be welcome!
    edited September 2021