iOS 15 now available with Health sharing & improved device intelligence

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2021
Apple has released iOS 15 to customers with a focus on user-facing control and features like FaceTime scheduling, dynamic Do Not Disturb modes, and Visual Look Up for photos.

Apple releases iOS 15
Apple releases iOS 15

Many of the features announced during Apple's WWDC presentation made it through the beta period for iOS 15. The biggest no-shows for release are SharePlay and Universal Control, but those are still expected at a later date.

FaceTime and SharePlay

Apple leaned heavily into social features for its 2021 WWDC presentation, however, its headline feature won't be launching today. Instead, SharePlay has been postponed to a later iOS 15 release for further behind-the-scenes improvements.

A working version of SharePlay was available during the beta cycle, but it was pulled for an unknown reason. Once launched, users will be able to share their music, movies, or other media during a FaceTime call.

Grid view, portrait mode, and listening options are shipping with this release of iOS 15 for a better video calling experience. Also, users will be able to schedule FaceTime calls and share an invite link, similar to other apps like Zoom.

A new SharePlay feature was added during Apple's iPhone 13 event -- SharePlay with Apple Fitness+. Once launched, up to 32 people can perform the same Fitness+ workout together during a FaceTime call with metrics syncing across devices.

Shared with You

Another part of iOS 15's social push is "Shared with You." Now, when friends and family send you content in iMessage, it will be surfaced in other places in iOS.

For example, if your friend shares an Apple News article, it will appear in the Apple News app in a "Shared with You" section. The same goes for an Apple TV+ show, an Apple Music album, or even photos.

This experience is designed to help users keep track of incoming content. So rather than scanning through a busy group chat for that recipe link, it's waiting for you in Safari.

Focus

Focus lets users choose which notifications reach them during certain tasks
Focus lets users choose which notifications reach them during certain tasks

Do Not Disturb is now Focus, a new feature that lets users control who can contact them and which apps notify them at any given moment. It acts as an expansion on the all-or-nothing Do Not Disturb mode from previous iOS versions.

For example, users can set up a "work" Focus and allow only work-centric apps to notify them. Other iOS 15 users can see your Focus status in iMessage, so they know that their message may not cause a notification.

The feature has a lot of customization potential since it relies heavily on the Home Screen function. Users can add widgets and apps to a specific Home Screen then have that screen only appear during certain Focuses.

Live Text and Visual Look Up

Visual Look up brings intelligent search to your photos
Visual Look up brings intelligent search to your photos

Apple has improved intelligence features across iOS to take advantage of the Neural Engine in its A-series processors. Both Live Text and Visual Look Up add powerful features to viewing images on iOS.

Live Text is a feature available whenever viewing an image, be it in Photos, Safari, or even third-party apps. Users will be able to select text within images to copy it out or share it elsewhere.

Photos stored in the Photos app will be scanned for text, so searching for text within images will become possible. For instance, a photo might contain an address, which will show up in Spotlight.

Visual Look Up is another Photos app feature that uses device intelligence to determine objects, animals, or plants in a photo. Once a searchable object is discovered, a glyph will appear, which will open a web search for similar objects or describe that object when tapped.

Safari

Apple walked back the Safari redesign and gave users some choice
Apple walked back the Safari redesign and gave users some choice

Apple announced a radical redesign for Safari during WWDC but has since walked back those changes in favor of more subtle updates. Rather than hiding everything behind a radio button, Apple has brought most UI elements out in the open for easy navigation.

The Safari address bar is now located at the bottom of the display. This means better access when using just one hand and more ability for the UI to stay out of the way of content. Those who prefer the old top-bar style can select it by tapping the "Aa" button, then select "Show top address bar."

When navigating a page, the address bar and navigation buttons disappear from view. Users need only tap on the URL at the bottom or scroll up to reveal the address bar again.

A new swiping gesture has been introduced to change between active tabs or open a new tab. Just place your thumb on the address bar, then swipe to the left or right depending on where the open tabs are in the tab switcher.

Other updates

There are several minor changes to iOS 15 too.

• Apple Maps has more detail with trees, road markings, and 3D landmarks
  • Add your Driver's License to Apple Wallet once your state gains support
  • Spotlight search shows more detailed information
  • Health app data can be shared with Family members
  • iCloud+ brings Hide My Email and iCloud Private Relay
  • The Weather app is completely redesigned
  • Translate is now system-wide
Users can install iOS 15 by navigating to Settings, tapping General, then Software Update. Those on the beta testing program must uninstall the beta profile to stop receiving beta updates.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
     Build numbers please?

Why can’t you finally get into the habit of publishing build numbers?
    williamlondonwwinter86mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    rcfa said:
     Build numbers please?

+1.
    My iPhone did not update from iOS 15 RC1, while my iPads got a slightly more recent build.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rcfa said:
     Build numbers please?

This houle help.
    https://developer.apple.com/news/releases/

Now I have to understand why my iPhone, watch and Apple TV do not want to update from RC.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    A number of features announced/promoted by Apple in iOS15 won't be available with this release. SharePlay, ID Cards, Universal Control are the more prominent "coming later" ones. Custom E-mail and AppPrivacy Reports are also among the missing. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I just checked for the update and my phone said the software was up to date. At the bottom of that same page it said  also: ios15 with the option to install it. I’ve never seen that before. Telling me my software is up to date and also telling me there is new software. 
    mwhitegatorguywilliamlondonmbenz1962watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    drdavid said:
    I just checked for the update and my phone said the software was up to date. At the bottom of that same page it said  also: ios15 with the option to install it. I’ve never seen that before. Telling me my software is up to date and also telling me there is new software. 
    I'm going to put it off for a while anyway. Nothing particularly compelling in it for what I use my iPhone for so I'll leave it to others to discover the bugs and get a later point release. :)
    drdavid
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jeromec said:
    rcfa said:
     Build numbers please?

+1.
    My iPhone did not update from iOS 15 RC1, while my iPads got a slightly more recent build.
    I removed the beta profile from my iPhone then restarted and now it picks up the finial version 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    drdavid said:
    I'm going to put it off for a while anyway. Nothing particularly compelling in it for what I use my iPhone for so I'll leave it to others to discover the bugs and get a later point release. :)
    That was my thought also. I got the security update last week, roughly. The difference made my wonder if I’m missing something. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jeromec said:
    rcfa said:
     Build numbers please?

+1.
    My iPhone 11 was running the RC and now shows an update to the “final” release.

The new update has a build number of 19A346. I guess not too much changed and that is why this update file is relatively small.

edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Not here in the Midwest at 2:00 PM CDT.

I even rebooted my Mac and it's still telling me that iOS 14.8 is the latest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    drdavid said:
    They changed it with iOS 15 so that you can stay on iOS 14 and still get security updates.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    drdavid said:
    I came here to post the same thing. Checking several time, the phone kept showing Up to date with 14.8. Scrolling down, there was the "you might also like iOS 15". Ok, maybe it didn't say it exactly that way, but it's interesting that it says you're "up to date with the option to update...".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    macgui said:
    drdavid said:
    I came here to post the same thing. Checking several time, the phone kept showing Up to date with 14.8. Scrolling down, there was the "you might also like iOS 15". Ok, maybe it didn't say it exactly that way, but it's interesting that it says you're "up to date with the option to update...".

Yeah, the placement and layout of the upgrade notice is different than what we've seen in the past. I think Apple is trying to convey the fact that this is an optional update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    dewme said:
    macgui said:
    drdavid said:

Yeah, the placement and layout of the upgrade notice is different than what we've seen in the past. I think Apple is trying to convey the fact that this is an optional update.
    I think you're correct, possibly a move to reduce some Nag Anxiety.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I wonder why 'Focus" cannot be removed from Control Center. Slightly annoying as you can select or deselect everything else.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    well the fact that you have to go and find the semi-hidden option to upgrade to 15 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Of course I upgraded... what could go wrong?