Is Fox News Conservative?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ShawnPatrickJoyce, pscates, you know what the question is.

Is Fox News conservative?

http://www.foxnews.com/

Yes, I'm serious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    What are superlatives for 'conservative.'

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 78
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Will there be any weather tomorrow?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Fox is conservative in contrast to the other established media. I doubt they are as biased as the rest of the media establishment, though.

But enough of the innuendo about Fox being conservative---even if it is---I thought we were a diverse society where our diversity is our strength. The last time I checked people who deride others with opposing views were intolerant (otherwise known as bigots.)

For those who say Fox is "conservative" where is the proof?

(and innuendo doesn't count, I want something like Newsweek sitting on the Lewinski story)
  • Reply 4 of 78
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    something's odd there. when i looked at this thread it had been viewed 35 times but had 37 votes.

• Reply 6 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Fox is conservative in contrast to the other established media. I doubt they are as biased as the rest of the media establishment, though.

But enough of the innuendo about Fox being conservative---even if it is---I thought we were a diverse society where our diversity is our strength. The last time I checked people who deride others with opposing views were intolerant (otherwise known as bigots.)

For those who say Fox is "conservative" where is the proof?

(and innuendo doesn't count, I want something like Newsweek sitting on the Lewinski story)

There is nothing wrong with a conservative news channel. There is something entirely corrupt about a conservative news channel that markets itself as "fair and balanced."
  • Reply 7 of 78
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I think I should refrain from voting, seeing I have never laid mine eyes upon a show. I do have the impression that they are beyond conservative, but that is an impression. How would I know?

I wanted to mention that. (I will officially not vote - though I applaud the initiative).
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:

Are

You

Kidding

Me?

....you either have an example or two or you are lost in innuendo----whip it out if you've got it.

• Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

something's odd there. when i looked at this thread it had been viewed 35 times but had 37 votes.

I was equally stunned to see two votes for "Fox News is not conservative."

• Reply 10 of 78
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yes it is. I enjoy my right-wing news, and Google is for everything else. The question should be "Is Fox News equally or more conservative than most news organizations are liberal?" I would have to say no to that.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    i agree with Crusader--this poll is simplistic.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    There's no reason to muck up a perfectly simple poll that just wants to ask the question of whether Fox News is conservative or not. We're not going to play semantics here and argue that it cannot be considered conservative because your views may be even more conservative than those of Fox News. I'm glad no one has so far because it's just a stupid argument.

But the question is whether or not Fox News is conservative, not whether other networks are liberal.

Fox News.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    At this point in the poll, 54 say that Fox is Conservative, and 4 say thats its not.

To the 4 who say it isn't Conservative...how would you define Fox ideologically?
  • Reply 14 of 78

I still can't get anyone to provide evidence that Foxnews is biased and "conservative".

(which should be easy to do if the level of angst is any measure)

Group hysteria is no substitute for not having you own thoughts.

If you believe that Fox's is biased, please (in your words, with references)

do tell!

(surely you're not just repeating what's the cool thing to say)

• Reply 15 of 78
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    This is merely polling to see what people think of Fox. It's very simple. It lets the person voting on the poll use only their true thoughts to answer the question. If you started mucking around with more complex questions, people would analyze it and maybe vote against what they really think.

I think proving your point or justifying your vote would be good and encouraged, but not necessary. If you want to see if it's ACTUALLY conservative or not, do some research, don't poll a bunch of Mac geeks

Me, I voted saying that they ARE conservative. Why you ask? Because No really it's mainly because of this comment they made about Michael Moore. Not to get into the subject of Moore himself, there are other threads for that, but I believe someone made a very personal and unjustified attack on him because he's liberal, and everyone basically agreed with it and moved on. That seems pretty freakin' conservative to me. Or at the very least, they're not liberal.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why is this even a poll? Why not have a poll one some "liberal" outlet? Why have a poll at all?
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Luca, that wasn't a Fox opinion show either- that was hard news.

Quote:

Originally posted by ena

I still can't get anyone to provide evidence that Foxnews is biased and "conservative".

(which should be easy to do if the level of angst is any measure)

Group hysteria is no substitute for not having you own thoughts.

If you believe that Fox's is biased, please (in your words, with references)

do tell!

(surely you're not just repeating what's the cool thing to say)

I provided many links that suggest Fox News is conservative. The big battle is coming soon enough though.

Can you provide any links that suggest Fox News is not conservative? Have you researched this issue at all? No? Give us something to work with at least.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    ?Is Fox News Conservative??

Is it that important?

Whether a particular publication is politically slanted is of importance, but even more important is the effort it puts in the quality of its coverage.

For example: The Sun (another notorious name in Mr. Murdoch's impressive empire) is obviously conservative, and is a rag, and intentionally so.

The Economist might be even more conservative, however it puts more efforts in details like fact-checking or proper English.

On the other side: online outlets such as Zmag which claim to be ?progressive?, are mostly repeating what is already printed on the pages of Le Monde Diplomatique, another similarily ?engagé? title, albeit one which is put together by mostly literate people.

Indymedia doesn't count any more than does Big Ole Bob's Really Big Blog.

So, here's how they look from my very incomplete vantage point (as I don't follow these channels frequently or regularly).

FOX seems like a political pamphlet and very US-centric.

CNN (International) is US-centrist (as in ?right-of-centre? elsewhere) in coverage, with some environmental and otherwise ?compassionate to fluffy creatures? overtones (which I find annoying).

BBC World is still slightly more sophisticated, although well into the superfically ?progressive? outlook while trying to save a face of objectivity in its own coverage, but it's also known to air blatant propaganda produced by TVE (not the Spanish public broadcaster, the other TVE).

While TV5's own coverage (as in the one not provided by the specific French, Swiss, Belgian, etc? channels), is as obviously tlted as FOX's, but to the other side, with overt pro-Arab sympathies.

Sky News is actually closer to BBC than to FOX in its bias, well to the left of CNN

Al-Jazeera is variably somewhere between the BBC and FOX in its quality of service, and is the first Arabic-speaking TV news channel to offer Western-style journalism, or to give reasonable airtime to dissetning Arab views or even to Israeli views. After having played the bad boy embarassing all Arab governments except Qatar's (but most viewers couldn't care less about that little pocket sheikhdom), it had since 11.IX.2001, gradually become the voice of wounded Arab and Muslim honour, although in Arab terms it's well below the anti-Americanism of the street (it has to, as Qatar is actively cooperating with the coalition) and thus that channel is accused of pro-US sympathies, like in this French-language Tunisian weekly.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

[...]

If you believe that Fox's is biased, please (in your words, with references) do tell!

ena, let me again mention something I brought up in another forum (this one).

If you go to the Fox News web site (I'd link to it, but maybe you already have it bookmarked?) and click through to their Operation Iraqi Freedom section, you'll see a link to "Fallen Heroes." Click on that link, and you get a list of the US casualties. Same goes for POWs and MIAs. For a cable news network that brands itself as fair and balanced to mention only the US soldiers who went missing, were killed or were taken prisoner is hardly an example of fair and balanced journalism. To paraphrase the network's promo: Fox News reports, I decide to pay attention to CNN or the BBC (and not MSNBC, because every time I see Lester Holt's Botoxed grin, for some reason I'm reminded of the alien shapeshifting guy on "The X Files." Who's with me?)

But anyway, back on topic: CNN and BBC are at least two news agencies I know of whose web sites list the full coalition casualties/prisoners/etc. and not just those from the US. That's one big reason why I'd say Fox News is biased. And as for conservative, well, being ultra-patriotic about the US and saying other countries are a bunch of also-rans is a pretty conservative worldview IMO.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    The reason why it is important to expose Fox News as a conservative network is because the network markets itself as a fairly ideologically-neutral cable news channel. Slogans like "Fair and Balanced" and "We Report. You Decide" belie the well-defined conservative tilt of the network. Ethically, that's wrong. We can argue over the effects of such a misleading premise, but that would be premature at this point in the thread.

To present yourself as something you are not is wrong in my opinion.