'Ted Lasso' makes Emmy history with Outstanding Comedy Series win

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ hit "Ted Lasso" has taken four Emmy Awards, and its best comedy series win is a first for a streaming service.

Jason Sudeikis
Jason Sudeikis

Following its previous 4 Creative Emmy wins, and "Ted Lasso" has won 4 of its record-breaking 20 nominations at the 73rd Television Academy Emmy Awards. They included Outstanding Comedy Series, which is a first for a show on any streaming service in only its second year of award eligibility.

Alongside the Outstanding Comedy Series win, Jason Sudeikis took the award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series. Hannah Waddingham and Brett Goldstein won Outstanding Supporting Actress and Actor in a comedy, respectively.

"I want to thank our incredible writing staff," said star and co-writer Jason Sudeikis in his acceptance speech. " I want to thank our incredible directors I want to thank my incredible cast, you know, that look, I'm only as good as you guys make me look and I you know and so really it means the world to me to be up here and just be a mirror of what you guys give to me and we reflect back and forth on each other."

"Ted Lasso" co-creator Bill Laurence accepted the Outstanding Comedy Series award on behalf of the cast and crew.

"We'd like to thank Apple," he said, "which is Zack, Jamie, Matt, Edie, T-Dog which is my new nickname for Tim Cook, he does not know that yet."

During the after-show interviews, Jason Sudeikis was asked about a third season for "Ted Lasso," and confirmed that Apple has now asked for an extended 12-episode series.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Congrats. Well deserved. But the article skipped the Lorne Michaels taking a dump bit.
    edited September 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Truly well deserved! Just don't pull a stunt like last episode again! I watch Ted Lasso to see Ted Lasso, not a side story—with a much somber tone—with less than a minute of the titular character.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Surprisingly good show which I’ve been enjoying a lot. The last episode was weird but still good.

My only complaint is the transparently woke preaching in the first episode with Dr Sharon (and a bit here and there since). It’s as if a black person has never had an intelligent role on TV and we need to be educated. Nevermind that I’ve been watching (and enjoying) black people in all types of roles since the 80’s and didn’t think anything of it.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Weird how this peanut-gallery pattern repeats, even with an Apple-produced TV series, but I recall the commentary on this forum when Ted Lasso premiered. The show was based on a set of short promo spots for NBC coverage of Premier League football, with Jason Sudekis doing the Lasso character. We were assured that nobody would be interested in it and the premise wouldn't be sustainable for an extended TV series. If anything, it was pronounced, this was an ill-advised foray into foreign territory for Apple and it surely spelled doom. All that, plus AI shouldn't report on it, because the peanut gallery (as declaratively represented by certain commenters) wasn't interested in reading about it. 

Now here we are. Ted Lasso is a great show with a concept that has sustained itself through two seasons. As a relentlessly positive but never sappy show, it has been a welcome counter to the anxiety-inducing, hostility-dominated zeitgeist. It's well-written, well-produced and well acted. Now it's getting awards. Seems like it's rarely a good idea to bet against Apple.
    MacProbfrankswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
     crazy how ted lasso a show that was originally just a series of commercials for the premiere league on nbc
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    georgie01 said:
    Surprisingly good show which I’ve been enjoying a lot. The last episode was weird but still good.

My only complaint is the transparently woke preaching in the first episode with Dr Sharon (and a bit here and there since). It’s as if a black person has never had an intelligent role on TV and we need to be educated. Nevermind that I’ve been watching (and enjoying) black people in all types of roles since the 80’s and didn’t think anything of it.
    Not to distress you too much with 'woke talk,' but your comment here actually highlights the reason for the "preaching." Black folks and other minority groups have a distinctly different perception of their level of participation, representation and recognition over the years, and continue to pursue a better footing in those regards in nearly every industry, including sports and entertainment. When they do that, and talk and advocate for that, almost like clockwork, responses from presumably non-minority folks pop up, like "I’ve been watching (and enjoying) black people in all types of roles since the 80’s and didn’t think anything of it." To paraphrase, 'Everything seems fine to me, therefore everything is fine. I love me some minority people, but I do wish they'd pipe down about all that other stuff and stay in their lane. There would be no problems if we'd just quit talking about problems.' Taking down signs for separate water fountains is undeniably a great step in the right direction, but doing so doesn't mean everything's o.k. now.
    edited September 2021 sully54muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDaysdrdavidMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Truly well deserved! Just don't pull a stunt like last episode again! I watch Ted Lasso to see Ted Lasso, not a side story—with a much somber tone—with less than a minute of the titular character.
    No way - we loved the last episode. It's OK if other characters experience loss, grief, and happiness, too.

In fact, the episode we really didn't like was the awful Christmas episode.
    edited September 2021 michelb76watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Absolutely love the show.  Kudos to Apple for grabbing it.

Just curious, is this only watchable on Apple devices or is Apple TV Plus available on other hardware? Too lazy to research so asking :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16

I only just found out after the Emmys.  Watching as many of them on YouTube as possible and they are fun to be sure.  "Oh, I thought it said LIVE!"... LOL.  However,  Ted is quite a different character or so it seems to me.  He is far more intelligent in the TV show.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    AppleZulu said:
    Seems like it's rarely a good idea to bet against Apple.
    I agree and I suspect Apple TV is money very well spent for the Apple Brand in so many ways.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    MacPro said:
    Absolutely love the show.  Kudos to Apple for grabbing it.

Just curious, is this only watchable on Apple devices or is Apple TV Plus available on other hardware? Too lazy to research so asking :)
    Yes, AppleTV+ has an app that runs on non-Apple things.
    bfrankswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Is this show in any way worth watching for somebody who despises all types of sportsball?

Because the description seems to indicate it's somehow about sportsball.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    darkvader said:
    Is this show in any way worth watching for somebody who despises all types of sportsball?

I’d say no. I just watched the first couple episodes to see what all the fuss is about. If Apple hadn’t billed this as a comedy, I never would have known. There’s more profanity and product placement (not only Apple but Dubai Air as well) than jokes. Maybe it’s funnier if you’re a sportsball fan; I don’t know. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 14 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    georgie01 said:

This episode didn’t give me that impression that I was being preached to, at all. Also, I’m not sure why you needed to put “and enjoyed” in parenthesis, but I regret to inform you that it is a perfect example of what the woke crowd would call passivism, and one of the main reasons that so much “preaching” exists these days. No judgement, just pointing out something you may not have known. 

edit: Sorry, AppleZulu, I didn’t see your post before I basically repeated it here. 

edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    darkvader said:

Yes. As with most other comedies and dramas on TV, the show is about the characters. Their employment provides a backdrop and "situations" if you will, but you don't have to know much about sportsball to follow the story or get the jokes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    lonestar1 said:
    darkvader said:

I’d say no. I just watched the first couple episodes to see what all the fuss is about. If Apple hadn’t billed this as a comedy, I never would have known. There’s more profanity and product placement (not only Apple but Dubai Air as well) than jokes. Maybe it’s funnier if you’re a sportsball fan; I don’t know. 
    Interestingly, Dubai Air isn't a real thing, so it is a simulated product placement, required because football teams have sponsors who put their logos on team jerseys. If you keep watching, you'll also find that this is actually fodder for a story plot as well.

Of course, the iPhones and Macs are from a real company, but why would Apple produce TV shows and use competitors stuff for props, or more oddly, create a fake computer brand for the props? Now, if they had iPhones in the Tom Hanks WWII movie Greyhound, that would've been weird.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraMacPro