1Password update delivers tight Safari integration for iOS 15 and iPadOS 15

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2021
Popular password management tool 1Password was updated for iOS 15 on Monday, delivering a number of Safari integration features that were previously limited to 1Password X for desktop web browsers.

1Password

Called a "life changing" update by developer AgileBits, the latest iteration of 1Password features tight integration through Safari extensions, allowing users to fill in logins, passwords and other text fields with a tap. The extension can also generate Smart Passwords and provide access to saved notes and other content via a popover card.

With 1Password in Safari, users gain contextual filling suggestions with automated text box completion powered by machine learning. The latter tool was designed to deal with complicated sign-in forms that go beyond the typical login and password queries.

Like its desktop counterpart, 1Password also fills in two-factor authentication codes, negating the need for copying and pasting from the iOS clipboard.

On iPad, 1Password gets the desktop treatment with a full-featured popover tool menu that lives in Safari's navigation bar. From here, users can access to their stored passwords, search 1Password's vaults, create new logins, generate passwords and more.

Other features include virtual credit card support through 1Password's partnership with Privacy.com, Watchtower recommendations, compatibility with Face ID and Touch ID, support for two-factor authentication with Security Keys on all iOS 15 devices and more.

1Password can be downloaded for free from the App Store, though a $3.99 monthly subscription is required to use the app. Customers can also pay an annual subscription of $35.99, while those new to the service can get a 14-day free trial.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I've been using 1Pasword since Apple ditched keychain support in Mobile Me and left everyone in a lurch. It's interface and functionality is far better than Keychain but the latest version has been a resource hog. I consistently find it using an inordinate amount of energy and draining the battery on my MBP. Supposedly they are converting the new version to electron which doesn't bode well.

Unfortunately, when I tried LastPass and DashLane I was less than impressed with either one, so I'm not sure where to go from here.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    This requires you to sign up for their subscription service. It does not support iCloud as a data vault.

I have been a customer from jump street with 1PW and am not intending to rent a password manager app.