Apple releases iPadOS 15 with Quick Note, Focus Mode

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's new iPadOS 15 is available now, and brings small but significant new features, alongside improvements and refinements to existing ones.

Quick Notes on the iPad is a boon
Quick Notes on the iPad is a boon

After months of beta testing, Apple has now officially released iPadOS 15, alongside iOS 15. It is now rolling out to all users via Software Update, and will be pre-installed on all new iPads.

Unlike iPadOS 14, which introduced interface changes such as widgets, the new iPadOS 15 is more of an incremental update. It features an improved ability to position widgets, plus a new, larger size one, but its most significant updates are all intended to speed up existing tasks or apps.

So Apple Notes gains a new Quick Note feature. Available at any point, in any app, a new Quick Note can be started with a swipe of finger or Apple Pencil in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Then later, an existing Quick Note can be called back up simply by revisiting the app, or website, where it was first created. It's an extension to Apple Notes, but as well as adding to that app, its convenience and usefulness gives every app a note-taking feature.

Similarly, Safari initially appears close to unchanged -- since Apple decided to walk back its tab design changes and make the latest version of those optional. However, it has added Tab Groups, a kind of bookmarking feature that is completely optional, but transformative when used.

The new iPadOS 15 also introduces Focus Mode, a key improvement on Do Not Disturb, and the Live Text ability to extract writing from images.

It lacks the promised SharePlay feature, by which videos could be enjoyed simultaneously by friends and family. It also does not feature the Universal Control feature that is due to let users control up to three Apple devices from one keyboard and mouse.

Both of these features are promised for future updates of iPadOS 15.

Although iPadOS 15 had a comparatively smooth beta process, compared to previous iPadOS and iOS releases, it remains a major update to the iPad. AppleInsider strongly recommends that users wait a week or more for any issues to be resolved.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Has anyone else noticed when updating Apple Software, the ridiculous time it takes to Verify and Prepare updates?  It's been going on the last couple of years.  My question is why would Apple send any software that isn't Verified and Prepared?    Makes me think they are the ones collecting data from the phone....??
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Has anyone else noticed when updating Apple Software, the ridiculous time it takes to Verify and Prepare updates?  It's been going on the last couple of years.  My question is why would Apple send any software that isn't Verified and Prepared?    Makes me think they are the ones collecting data from the phone....??
    The verification process ensures the update wasn't modified/corrupted in transit to your device. Preparing your device may involve performing file system checks and repairs, then check-pointing the file system (in case the update fails, your device is unlikely to be "bricked"), and making sure the existing software configuration is in a sane state for upgrading. During much of this time, the device is still usable.
    edited September 2021 SnickersIImuthuk_vanalingamdewmepscooter63MisterKitbestkeptsecretMplsPDAalsethwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ... Makes me think they are the ones collecting data from the phone....??
    Paranoid much?
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Only minor complaint: Why does Apple add widgets to my screen that I did not ask for as part of the upgrade?

I know what widgets are. I know how to create, configure, and position widgets on the screen. I put them exactly where I want them to be. Duh. Dumping unrequested widgets on my screen is like someone sneaking into my house and not only rearranging my furniture, but plopping a new oversized sofa in the middle my kitchen. Didn't ask for it. Don't want it. Quit being rude, or at least, not respecting my OCD about how my screens are laid out.

Otherwise, very smooth upgrade and very glad that Apple takes the time to verify and prepare the machine for the live upgrade without bricking or breaking it. Way back in the iPod Touch 2 olden days my out-of-warranty Touch got bricked by an update. Apple handed me a replacement, no questions asked. I suppose they learned a few things from experiences like those.
    williamlondonrobin huberwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I don’t want widgets, but even after dumping them my old icons are compressed to the top of the screen. It’s like the spacing has been permanently changed to accommodate widgets even though I don’t want them. How can I go back to the same number of icons filling the whole screen?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    One of the best features has been totally unmentioned. You can put up to eighteen items in the dock. When it looks full just keep adding. The other icons just get smaller and closer together. 

Eighteen in the dock, and up to twenty-four on the home page. You’ll almost never have to go into the AppLibrary.
    williamlondonMisterKitbestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    One glaring annoyance in the new iPadOS Safari: You cannot dismiss the left side pane if you’re in Bookmarks Menu. To do so, one must click back to the starting pane to get the “dismiss” button :neutral:

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    ... Makes me think they are the ones collecting data from the phone....??
    Paranoid much?
    If you're worried about that you shouldn't use a phone or iPad at all.
    edited September 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    So another iPadOS version, but still no updates to the file system or apps like mail to bring feature parity with MacOS :/
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    cpsro said:
    The verification process ensures the update wasn't modified/corrupted in transit to your device. Preparing your device may involve performing file system checks and repairs, then check-pointing the file system (in case the update fails, your device is unlikely to be "bricked"), and making sure the existing software configuration is in a sane state for upgrading. During much of this time, the device is still usable.
    Thank you. I’ve been wondering what it was doing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cesco said:
    One glaring annoyance in the new iPadOS Safari: You cannot dismiss the left side pane if you’re in Bookmarks Menu. To do so, one must click back to the starting pane to get the “dismiss” button :neutral:

Yes, this has been frustrating me too. 2 taps where 1 did the job previously. I have taken to using the start page instead but prefer the old way.
    watto_cobra