First trailer for Apple TV+ 'The Tragedy of Macbeth' has arrived

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
From Joel Coen, "The Tragedy of Macbeth" is a black and white adaptation of the classic -- coming December 25 to theaters and January 14 to Apple TV+.

'The Tragedy of Macbeth' premieres January 14 on Apple TV+
'The Tragedy of Macbeth' premieres January 14 on Apple TV+

The first trailer shows off the dreary black and white setting, the intense direction, and the film's dark tone. A witch's voice is heard saying the pivotal line, "by the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

The film has been called ambitious, with its avoidance of on-location footage. Director Joel Coen says he prefers the "unreality" of sound stages.

Denzel Washington is Lord Macbeth, with Frances McDormand as Lady Macbeth. Other cast members include Bertie Carvel, Alex Hassell, Corey Hawkins, Kathryn Hunter, Harry Melling, and Brendan Gleeson.

"The Tragedy of Macbeth" will be shown in theaters starting December 25, then premiere on Apple TV+ on January 14. Subscribe to Apple TV+ for $4.99 per month or via any tier of the Apple One subscription service.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Written for the screen and adapted by Joel Cohen. One wonders what precisely this means. The script was already pretty good. One hopes the writing for the screen and adaptations are more about stage direction, pacing and cinematography, and less about editing the script, even if it is Joel Cohen doing it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MACBETH is one of my favorite Shakespearian dramas. I'll watch this new version but I'll be measuring it against my favorite version, Kenneth Branagh's 2013 filming of the Manchester International Festival's stage production.
    Ofer
  • Reply 3 of 6
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    AppleZulu said:
    Written for the screen and adapted by Joel Cohen. One wonders what precisely this means. The script was already pretty good. One hopes the writing for the screen and adaptations are more about stage direction, pacing and cinematography, and less about editing the script, even if it is Joel Cohen doing it.
    I agree. Adjusting things to make it into a film, rather than a stage-play is fine. But if he started messing with the words, “updating” the language, then no. I’m going to wait for a few reviews first before I decide.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Hank2.0 said:
    MACBETH is one of my favorite Shakespearian dramas. I'll watch this new version but I'll be measuring it against my favorite version, Kenneth Branagh's 2013 filming of the Manchester International Festival's stage production.
    Have a watch of the Patrick Stewart version. I saw it live in London and the ghost scene was terrifying and so cleverly done.
    Ofer
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Doing away with locations and relying on the soundstage was done by Lars von Trier for Dogville - a movie I can't watch a second time.

However, I am interested in watching this, if only to see how Joel Coen manages without his brother and of course, watching Denzel as Macbeth.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    DAalseth said:
    AppleZulu said:
    I agree. Adjusting things to make it into a film, rather than a stage-play is fine. But if he started messing with the words, “updating” the language, then no. I’m going to wait for a few reviews first before I decide.

For me, it's the opposite.   Despite being a prolific reader, I never had the patience in school or afterwards to wade through the archaic language. There were too many other interesting things to read that said things simply, directly and in modern American language.

Hopefully this version will be easier to absorb.