EU pressing on with USB-C charger legislation on Thursday

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 31
    KTRKTR Posts: 189member
    I hope all this back fires on lawmakers.  Maybe apple and Google could include a voucher in the box for an adapter?

  • Reply 22 of 31
    Wouldn’t this make it easier for third parties to make charging cables with chips in them that have hacking functions?  We have seen this as proof of concept faux lightening cables.  Making universal charging ports would make it easier for bad actors to do this through altered USBC cables, since you would be able to use them on everything from junk entry level androids to Apple and Samsung phones.  I hope apple does go portless on new phones, snubbing the EU, and pushing MagSafe.  
  • Reply 23 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,117member
    Blockhead said:
    elijahg said:

    Apple probably doesn't want to switch because of licensing on Made for iPhone cables and accessories. Instead of being hardware incompatibilities, Apple will have to force software incompatibilities with USB-C Android accessories. And those incompatibilities will eventually be cracked by various Chinese accessory makers.

    Apple gets at least 4$ for every cable/device/adapter sold with lightning port/plug-in. Thats actually luxury business for them - not surprising they dont want to switch to usb-c.

    BTW. Making usb-c port not compatible with android/macbook/ipad pro/pc accessories will be own goal and heavily criticised dick move by everyone. 

    melgross said:
    DAalseth said:
    Best Case: They go with USB-C and by the time it takes effect, Apple has already moved everything to USB-C
    Worst Case: They go with some weird local plug standard that is only made and used in Slovakia or some such place and the rest of the world is completely f-ed. 
    Let’s see what they do. 
    This thread is a farce…
    EU requires charge to be common, not particular shape or colour. 
    Apple has no right to complain. Most of the accessories are bluetooth nowadays or has usbc option. Lightning is environmental disaster. 
    That’s ridiculous! The EU is constantly making rules that defy common sense. This goes hand in hand with the upcoming rule that doesn’t allow chargers to be sold with, and packaged with smartphones. That’s also dumb, though Apple began to comply, and other phone companies have been following.

    so the socket on the phone matters? It doesn’t. Apple supplies a lightning to USB C cable, and that all they should have to do. As with rechargers, it’s inane. So the EU believes that since we all have old chargers, we don’t need new ones, and so the old ones will be thrown away. This way, we’ll have to use the old ones so that we don’t have to pay for new ones. How dumb is that? Anybody here have a charger from an old phone, iPhone, Samsung phone or any other that is 5 watts? How many of you will want to use that with your new phone with a much bigger battery and faster charging time?
    Well, they are all hypocrites - Apple, Samsung and EU bureaucrats.  In theory they do this for environment, in practice its only for show. What about trees that will need to be cut to make charger boxes? All they need to do is let us  decide if we want new charger or not. 
    You don’t u detest and what’s going on here. This is being legislated by the EU. We’ll see that most everywhere soon after that. Apple and Samsung fought against it.

    where did you get that Apple receives “at least $4” per cable?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    melgross said:
    That’s ridiculous! The EU is constantly making rules that defy common sense.
    Can you give any examples?
    Anybody here have a charger from an old phone, iPhone, Samsung phone or any other that is 5 watts? How many of you will want to use that with your new phone with a much bigger battery and faster charging time?
    Then simply buy a new charger. 

  • Reply 25 of 31
    melgross said:
    DAalseth said:
    Best Case: They go with USB-C and by the time it takes effect, Apple has already moved everything to USB-C
    Worst Case: They go with some weird local plug standard that is only made and used in Slovakia or some such place and the rest of the world is completely f-ed. 
    Let’s see what they do. 
    This thread is a farce…
    EU requires charge to be common, not particular shape or colour. 
    Apple has no right to complain. Most of the accessories are bluetooth nowadays or has usbc option. Lightning is environmental disaster. 
    That’s ridiculous! The EU is constantly making rules that defy common sense. This goes hand in hand with the upcoming rule that doesn’t allow chargers to be sold with, and packaged with smartphones. That’s also dumb, though Apple began to comply, and other phone companies have been following.

    so the socket on the phone matters? It doesn’t. Apple supplies a lightning to USB C cable, and that all they should have to do. As with rechargers, it’s inane. So the EU believes that since we all have old chargers, we don’t need new ones, and so the old ones will be thrown away. This way, we’ll have to use the old ones so that we don’t have to pay for new ones. How dumb is that? Anybody here have a charger from an old phone, iPhone, Samsung phone or any other that is 5 watts? How many of you will want to use that with your new phone with a much bigger battery and faster charging time?

    Sure, EU, the most advanced society makes decisions that defy common sense. Maybe if you live in a cave. 
    avon b7nadriel
  • Reply 26 of 31
    xbitxbit Posts: 315member
    The British are not going back to imperial, we are discussing the possibility to remove the law that makes it an offence to quote prices in Pounds and Ounces. 
    To be specific - remove the law that makes it an offence to quote prices only in Imperial measurements. It has never been illegal to sell products in pounds and ounces.  
    nadriel
  • Reply 27 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 9,082member
    xbit said:
    The British are not going back to imperial, we are discussing the possibility to remove the law that makes it an offence to quote prices in Pounds and Ounces. 
    To be specific - remove the law that makes it an offence to quote prices only in Imperial measurements. It has never been illegal to sell products in pounds and ounces.  
    Even that would be a dumb move.  Children for the past few decades have not been educated in imperial measurements, schools teach the metric system.  The law was a transitional one that allowed the old to coexist with the new, while ushering in the new.  And even that has gone on for long enough, everything should be metric by now, and the continuance of these archaic imperial measurements needs to be cut off, not encouraged.
    nadriel
  • Reply 28 of 31
    They should go further and say usb c pd for all devices under 80w that use a power brick. Modems, soho routers tooth brushes everything that can move should.

    PoE being the only exception.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    An irony that is not being mentioned alot is Apple said they only wanted lightning to last 10 years. That comes up next year, and most iPads have already moved onto USB-C. Sure it's possible they'll try to force wireless charging on iPhones, but every Apple device with a lightning port will need to switch soon anyways, and USB C makes more sense on a number of them.
    muthuk_vanalingamnadriel
  • Reply 30 of 31
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,683member
    An irony that is not being mentioned alot is Apple said they only wanted lightning to last 10 years. That comes up next year, and most iPads have already moved onto USB-C. Sure it's possible they'll try to force wireless charging on iPhones, but every Apple device with a lightning port will need to switch soon anyways, and USB C makes more sense on a number of them.
    USB-c make sense everywhere there isn't lint then Lightning is better. 
    Wireless should be the aim for lint exposed devices maybe a surface diagnostic report like the iPadPro Smart connector. 
  • Reply 31 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,117member
    melgross said:
    DAalseth said:
    Best Case: They go with USB-C and by the time it takes effect, Apple has already moved everything to USB-C
    Worst Case: They go with some weird local plug standard that is only made and used in Slovakia or some such place and the rest of the world is completely f-ed. 
    Let’s see what they do. 
    This thread is a farce…
    EU requires charge to be common, not particular shape or colour. 
    Apple has no right to complain. Most of the accessories are bluetooth nowadays or has usbc option. Lightning is environmental disaster. 
    That’s ridiculous! The EU is constantly making rules that defy common sense. This goes hand in hand with the upcoming rule that doesn’t allow chargers to be sold with, and packaged with smartphones. That’s also dumb, though Apple began to comply, and other phone companies have been following.

    so the socket on the phone matters? It doesn’t. Apple supplies a lightning to USB C cable, and that all they should have to do. As with rechargers, it’s inane. So the EU believes that since we all have old chargers, we don’t need new ones, and so the old ones will be thrown away. This way, we’ll have to use the old ones so that we don’t have to pay for new ones. How dumb is that? Anybody here have a charger from an old phone, iPhone, Samsung phone or any other that is 5 watts? How many of you will want to use that with your new phone with a much bigger battery and faster charging time?

    Sure, EU, the most advanced society makes decisions that defy common sense. Maybe if you live in a cave. 
    Maybe the least advanced.
Sign In or Register to comment.