iPad mini review roundup: Superior speed but missing a critical feature

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I ordered the 2nd generation pencil to hope it operates like the Samsung Galaxy Tab pencil.  I found out  afterwards is that Apple pencil is aim at artists and missing around 60% of the functionality in the stylist to operate the tablet display.  I am going to return it unless iOS 15 has more functionality for general iPad operations so I do not have to use my fingers at all on the display.
    edited September 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 48
    netrox said:
    isnt iPad Mini also a phone since it supports cellular (if you go for celluar in addition to wifi)? 

No. Cellular data only. No SIM card, therefore no cell calls. It's not a phone.

This is not true. I laid out the details of how to use one to also cover phone calls and texts in post eight. Works great as a "phone." Been using iPad Minis to also cover phone needs since the first generation model. While possible to hold this up to the ear like a giant iPhone, I have always used  buds with microphone for phone purposes. 

And it DOES have a sim card. See "Buttons & Connectors" at: https://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

But even the wifi-only one can be a "phone" using a VOIP app when using wifi. Macs can be a "phone" that way too. In fact, I use Google Voice (app and website) to make & take calls, send & receive texts whether I'm using iPad Mini (2 until the new 6 arrives) or either of my Macs. 
    edited September 2021 muthuk_vanalingamdewmeroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    I was excited till I received it. I was getting more disappointed after using it for just 2 days. I can’t hold it with one hand like the picture shown. It’s not doing more than what I’m already doing.
    I disagree with Gizmodo who said it's a reading, games, and video device. No, it’s too small for ready magazines and watching video even on YouTube.
    My friend was expecting iPadOS to do speech-to-text and vice versa on Cantonese / traditional Chinese to English. Sorry, the need of millions of cantonese speakers is ignored. Siri is just not capable of doing so. 
    i returned my iPad mini on day 4.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 48
    My friend was expecting iPadOS to do speech-to-text and vice versa on Cantonese / traditional Chinese to English. Sorry, the need of millions of cantonese speakers is ignored. Siri is just not capable of doing so. ”

This. Really I am waiting so long for Siri to understand “translate I am waiting for you into language x”.
    How hard can it be to implement that ?
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Japhey said:
    Roca91 said:
    "Not for work..." said by a person who does not appreciate all of the professional uses for this device. I've commented here before, but as a pilot this is the ONLY size appropriate for a smaller airplane cockpit. In fact, Apple displayed pilot software (Foreflight) in its debut. I cannot overstate how critical this device is to pilots to get navigation info, weather, charts and much, much more. It doesn't matter how much it costs, this is the only size iPad I will buy from now on. I will add that those of us who use the iPad in harsh temperatures and direct sunlight still need some improvements. Brighter screen, and better internal cooling are needed to make this device better. The protective cases serve only to make the device even hotter and it's a problem. The specialized fan cases run $100 and up.
    I'm really glad Apple worked through that: 
    The original Mini was both small and cheap -- and there were LOTS of "discussions" here about which it was and should be:  Small OR Cheap -- while Apple seemed to waver on whether to even continue the Mini.

But, now they have a small, high end Mini
    AND, a cheap full sized iPad
    .... and nobody here on ai (including me!) ever suggested such a solution.

But, Apple found the best of both worlds!
    Good job Apple!

Respectfully, this is incorrect. There have more than a few people on these very forums, including me, that have been calling, even begging, for a high-end, pro-style mini going back several years. But yes, Apple did deliver (almost) exactly what we’ve been hoping for, so everything else you’re saying is correct. 

I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough.
    Yes, there were people calling for a cheap iPad
    Yes, there were people calling for a small iPad

But nobody called for the route Apple would take that would satisfy them both.
    Again, that is very much to Apple's credit.  The solution broke away from standard, either/or thinking.  It was "thinking different"
  • Reply 26 of 48
    I would have had this in a heart beat if only it had Face ID. Maybe next refresh now it has the Face ID design. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    My two cents on the "isn't for work" comment.  In general, to use a device "for work" means to use it in place of a desktop or laptop PC to go general office tasks, like the majority of people who are "at work" do (documents, email, browsing, etc for extended periods of time).  It doesn't mean the device can't be used for some specialized application that software was specially written for (pilots, POS restaurant, medical, etc.).  At that point, the iPad becomes an instrument or tool for a specific task.  Pilots. restaurant or hospital workers should relax. 
    GeorgeBMacbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    And where in the display would you have the "notch" for the Face ID camera? Or the bullet hole in the display?

In my opinion, Touch ID on the power button is the best solution for this smallest iPad as no screen real estate is lost. After all, the M1 laptops are using Touch ID as well as some prior models of Mac laptops.

I am just pleased that the "mini" was not consigned to the dust bin of forgotten computer equipment. The form factor meets my needs for weight and portability and fits ion my cargo pants pocket. By contrast, my iPad 11 Pro with Brydge keyboard weighs nearly as much as my new MacBook Air M1. Since  Mac laptops, to date, lack modems, the 11" iPad is my goto for when I am in waiting rooms or other locations where the free wifi is certainly insecure and I need to process forms.

The great news its that if a person does not like the new mini, no one is forcing them to buy it. The initial sales (because the delivery lead times are now quite a ways out) imply lots of folks are pleased with the new design.
    edited September 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    What is missing is an open operating system that lets users do anything they want with their iPads. If they had that, they could connect any keyboard ever made to a slim dock adapter and then run Parallels with Mac OS or Windows and then perhaps get some actual work done.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 30 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    My two cents on the "isn't for work" comment.  In general, to use a device "for work" means to use it in place of a desktop or laptop PC to go general office tasks, like the majority of people who are "at work" do (documents, email, browsing, etc for extended periods of time).  It doesn't mean the device can't be used for some specialized application that software was specially written for (pilots, POS restaurant, medical, etc.).  At that point, the iPad becomes an instrument or tool for a specific task.  Pilots. restaurant or hospital workers should relax. 
    Agreed. The definition of “work” is totally dependent on the nature of the work you do. I’m sure that people who use an iPad based point of sale terminal or an iPad hooked up to a data acquisition system, with significant processing done on the iPad, or an iPad for holding their flight manuals, would say that the iPad (mini) is a “work” tool in every sense of the word.  

I know of two businesses close to me that have been using iPad mini for several years as customer information displays at their service counters. One is a Mexican restaurant and the other is a fairly large scale cheese producer.

Yes, the iPad mini is a niche product within the spectrum of iPads that Apple offers for sale. If you’ve owned and gotten value from previous mini ownership the mini 6 is a very welcome arrival. You already know it fits your needs and your hand, if one handed use matters to you. But if the iPad mini is not already a known quantity to you, your satisfaction is not a given. Niche markets are more typically a “pull” market rather than a “push” market. I’m just happy that Apple actually delivered on something that mini owners were pulling for. 
    edited September 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This is becoming increasingly common -- computer specialization:
    -- The computer on my wrist is great for doing certain things -- like tracking my runs and exercise.
    -- The computer in my pocket can do that too, but not as well.   But it can do other things like browse the web or get me where I want to go.
    -- The computer on my desk is better at typing, spreadsheets and web browsing.
    -- My grandson's console is best at running high end games.

Each does the work it is best suited to do -- as does the Mini.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    wood1208 said:
    Can someone tell me what missing critical feature this article is talking about ? Article writer should say in the beginning than all jibber-jabber reviews from from different web sites/places...

Lol, I hear you. The missing feature is the Smart Connector. Apparently journalists think using the Mini with a keyboard would be a fun idea, and are lamenting its exclusion. My feeling is that Apple knew it wouldn’t, and left it out for that very reason. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Japhey said:
    Roca91 said:
    "Not for work..." said by a person who does not appreciate all of the professional uses for this device. I've commented here before, but as a pilot this is the ONLY size appropriate for a smaller airplane cockpit. In fact, Apple displayed pilot software (Foreflight) in its debut. I cannot overstate how critical this device is to pilots to get navigation info, weather, charts and much, much more. It doesn't matter how much it costs, this is the only size iPad I will buy from now on. I will add that those of us who use the iPad in harsh temperatures and direct sunlight still need some improvements. Brighter screen, and better internal cooling are needed to make this device better. The protective cases serve only to make the device even hotter and it's a problem. The specialized fan cases run $100 and up.
    The original Mini was both small and cheap -- and there were LOTS of "discussions" here about which it was and should be:  Small OR Cheap -- while Apple seemed to waver on whether to even continue the Mini.

Good job Apple!

Respectfully, this is incorrect. There have more than a few people on these very forums, including me, that have been calling, even begging, for a high-end, pro-style mini going back several years. But yes, Apple did deliver (almost) exactly what we’ve been hoping for, so everything else you’re saying is correct. 

Again, that is very much to Apple's credit.  The solution broke away from standard, either/or thinking.  It was "thinking different"
    Your point was clear, both times. And I’m telling you it’s not accurate. There have been many people “calling for a small iPad”, and they’ve all wanted it to be more powerful, i.e. more expensive, not less powerful, i.e. cheaper. The entry level iPad is Apple’s best selling tablet, and it already fills the role of the “a cheap iPad”; and it is in no danger of going anywhere, and everyone knows this. Therefore, those calling for the more powerful Mini have, in essence,  been calling for exactly “the route Apple would take”, for years. Years, George. Just because you didn’t know about it doesn’t make it false. I’m glad you were surprised and delighted by what you saw, but to say “nobody here on ai ever suggested such a solution” is  completely wrong. Plenty of people here have suggested this very solution, just not you. 

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    This is the first "mini" that is starting at parity with the newest iPhone operating system and latest  iPhone processor. This means the end user is not behind in the power curve operationally from day one of ownership with both the mini 6 and iPhone being released on the same date.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 48
    ApplePoor said:
    This is the first "mini" that is starting at parity with the newest iPhone operating system and latest  iPhone processor. This means the end user is not behind in the power curve operationally from day one of ownership with both the mini 6 and iPhone being released on the same date.
    Good point. You could almost say they are too powerful for their intended use, similar to the M1 Pro models. Makes me think Apple has something in the works that will require all that extra power. I’m thinking it’s game related, though most would probably suggest it’s AR. 
  • Reply 36 of 48
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    rcfa said:
    Unfortunately iPad Mini is useless as a network testing device, since Apple won’t allow access to MAC addresses, not even as something users can allow on a per-app basis in privacy settings.
    Not useless: Apple AirPort Utility provides MAC addresses and is useful for testing wireless networks. My rather large company uses it for a good deal of testing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 48
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    I've been think about getting both an iPad Pro 12.9 as desk computer and an iPad mini 8.3 as a bed computer, and this image is kind of giving me second thoughts on it.

12.9 on top. 8.3 on bottom. Le sigh. Knew it would be thus, and Viticci has the brightness up pretty high on the mini here, which most people wouldn't do in the dark. Still want the mini for the spouse, a reader, and an ultra portable utility computer. Getting the 12.9 basically means using it in bed is only going to be so much harder.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    "… not meant to be used for serious work."  I suppose, to the extent that no car smaller than an 8-passenger SUV is meant to be used for serious commutes, this might seem true. But at this point you just have to sit back and laugh; I know people who do "serious work" on their phones.  Are all these reviews written by old men with severe presbyopia? Or just spoiled children who have no idea what "serious work" can entail for people who live lives different from their own?  Perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that these guys still just don't understand the difference between a tool and a toy. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Roca91 said:

Good job Apple!

Your point was clear, both times. And I’m telling you it’s not accurate. There have been many people “calling for a small iPad”, and they’ve all wanted it to be more powerful, i.e. more expensive, not less powerful, i.e. cheaper. The entry level iPad is Apple’s best selling tablet, and it already fills the role of the “a cheap iPad”; and it is in no danger of going anywhere, and everyone knows this. Therefore, those calling for the more powerful Mini have, in essence,  been calling for exactly “the route Apple would take”, for years. Years, George. Just because you didn’t know about it doesn’t make it false. I’m glad you were surprised and delighted by what you saw, but to say “nobody here on ai ever suggested such a solution” is  completely wrong. Plenty of people here have suggested this very solution, just not you. 

I'm glad I made the point clearly -- both times.
    And sorry that you missed it -- both times.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Roca91 said:

Good job Apple!

I'm glad I made the point clearly -- both times.
    And sorry that you missed it -- both times.
    Lol. Whatever dude. I’ve now explained to you twice, in language a toddler could instead, why your statement is wrong. How me and many others on AI have been calling for the cheaper iPad and the smaller iPad to be 2 different products. But since you missed those conversations and this release took you by surprise, then everyone else must have as myopic an imagination as you. You didn’t read those posts, therefore they never existed. Interesting worldview there.