Apple, Samsung, Intel attending White House meeting on chip shortage

Posted:
in General Discussion
Representatives from Apple and other big tech companies plus car manufacturers such as Ford and GM are scheduled to attend a virtual White House meeting about the chip shortage, and impact of the coronavirus Delta variant.

Credit: White House
(Credit: White House)

Following a similar virtual gathering in April 2021, representatives from major technology and automotive companies are due to attend a meeting with the White House on Thursday.

According to Reuters, the meeting will be hosted by Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo and National Economic Council Director Brian Deese. Few details have been issued, but the topics are expected to center on the chip shortage and finding ways to coordinate between processor producers and buyers.

Reportedly, the White House has only confirmed that the attendees will represent chip producers, consumers and industry groups.

Reuters says that Intel's CEO Pat Gelsinger will be present, along with representatives from Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, GM, Ford, and Stellantis. Unnamed other sources say that BMW, Micron, and Apple supplier TSMC will also attend.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    This is good as a narrowly scoped case study, but there are massive disruptions in many supply chains that are impacting far more than just semiconductors and the automobile industry. The common thread: any supply chain that has people in the loop is broken. Until we collectively get the major issues that are impacting people resolved, all supply chains will suffer.

People are the critical resource and lifeblood of everything. Covid-19 has broken the people, both directly through infection and death, and in secondary ways through alteration of fundamental thought processes, abandonment of logic, and unwillingness to work together to resolve problems that are greater than ones own self interests.

You can’t fix the chip problem without fixing the people problem.
    irwinmauricelarryjw
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    There is zero chance the government we NYT can provide any help though though they will claim to. The best thing the government can do is get out of the way. 

I would not be a part of any photo-ops, which is what this is, with any political office holder. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dewme said:
    This is good as a narrowly scoped case study, but there are massive disruptions in many supply chains that are impacting far more than just semiconductors and the automobile industry. The common thread: any supply chain that has people in the loop is broken. Until we collectively get the major issues that are impacting people resolved, all supply chains will suffer.

People are the critical resource and lifeblood of everything. Covid-19 has broken the people, both directly through infection and death, and in secondary ways through alteration of fundamental thought processes, abandonment of logic, and unwillingness to work together to resolve problems that are greater than ones own self interests.

Some kind of political manifesto, I presume. Call me skeptical of your claim. But yeah, shut down all the unemployment welfare, the child tax credits, the everything free mentality, religious exemptions for getting vaccinated, and make it clear that if you want anything you have to get a job and work for it, even if it’s sweeping the alley.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    lkrupp said:
    dewme said:

Some kind of political manifesto, I presume. Call me skeptical of your claim. But yeah, shut down all the unemployment welfare, the child tax credits, the everything free mentality, religious exemptions for getting vaccinated, and make it clear that if you want anything you have to get a job and work for it, even if it’s sweeping the alley.

Huh? I'm talking about everything from unfilled long haul trucker jobs, aluminum can shortages, container ships waiting weeks to unload, unfilled postal worker and Amazon driver positions, idled assembly lines, retailers and restaurants cutting the number of days they are open because they can't get people and/or can't get supplies and raw ingredients. Our local Burger King has been closing shortly after lunch for weeks because they either run out of food or have no staff. Multiple wing joints can't get the wings they need, or the one's they're offered aren't good enough quality to sell to paying customers.

I'd say that nearly 100% of the businesses in the village (and surrounding township) where I live has help wanted signs prominently displayed, with many offering signing bonuses. Even the county libraries, county parks, and state parks have help wanted signs posted. You're talking civil service jobs with pensions. Remember those? The Amish are having problems keeping themselves running because many are involved in home construction, indoor and outdoor furniture assembly, cabinetry making, plastics manufacturing, etc., and running short of raw materials. I have homes in my neighborhood that are under construction, under contract, owners waiting and they sit unfinished for weeks because they can't get windows and doors.

All of these supply chains are ultimately people-driven, whether locally or from abroad. It doesn't matter whether it's electronic components or stainless steel washers, too many of these supply chains are busted. Maybe the big wigs from Apple, Intel, and Samsung can get a spot at the table in the White House, but the owner of the Burger King in my village can probably articulate the source of the problem just as well.

edited September 2021
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jimh2 said:
    There is zero chance the government we NYT can provide any help though though they will claim to. The best thing the government can do is get out of the way. 
    I came here to say exactly this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I’m sure ol’ Joe will be able to fix everything up ship shape. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    jimh2 said:
    I came here to say exactly this.
    Yes when the government gets out of the way you get less astronauts on the moon and more billionaires in space…stupid government.

More seriously the government has to play a role in shaping the economy.  The US lacks solar energy production because it was abandoned by politicians and left up to market forces.  See where that got us?
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra