'Foundation' is beautiful, lavish, and boring say reviews

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    “Edit: as to the British accent thing: I thought this was initially begun as a Skydance production both in Malta and London.”

Nope. Ireland, Malta, Iceland, Germany, and the Canary Islands, but never London. At least, not that anyone’s reported. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    To be fair, the books aren't exactly fast-paced action stories, so I'm hardly surprised that they don't make for the most riveting television. We'll have to see if, taken in full dose, the world-building is enough to reach emotional critical mass.
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Judging from The Morning Show, there is no better sign of an Apple TV+ hit than a bunch of blowhards giving it a bad review.
    rezwitslkruppfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 41
    auxio said:
    If the reviews are any indication, it should be good.  Almost every sci-fi film/series I enjoy was universally snubbed by critics at the time of release.
    Yes, these types are more interested in appearing cynically sophisticated at the right kind of dinner party.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 41
    I'm looking forward to watching this. I'm hoping it is something I can get immersed in and think about what I'm watching. Maybe some of the reviewers were expecting a vapid J. J. Abrams film with lots of lasers, explosions and people performing impossible stunts every few minutes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    sully54 said:
    These reviews read very similar to the initial reviews of the first season of Game of Thrones so...
    It'd be nice if that were true, but it's not even close to true, as 10 seconds of Googling easily illustrates.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s01
  • Reply 27 of 41
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    ZooMigo said:
    Aside from falling asleep halfway through (not unusual), I had 1 big complaint. Why is it every “epic story” is full of people with British accents? Did the UK conquer the universe and leave everyone else behind? Star Wars, Dune, so many shows, so many English accents. I know, it’s a small quibble, but it bothers me enough to pull me out of immersion. 
    The Brits are very good in music, and acting, but the Nordic’s, Korean’s and the Australian’s are very good also, and they seem to better actor’s at a younger age.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 41
    I’ve watched the first two episodes and the casting is spot on, the story excellent. I’m already sad that I’ll have to wait a year once the first 10 episodes are out.

This will be Apple TV’s GoT!
    edited September 2021 williamlondonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Well, I'd hoped it could be something my 13y.o. son and I could watch together.

Turns out, he made it through maybe 20 min of the first episode, so that ain't happening.

But for me, so far it's been pretty much exactly what I'd hoped (plot twist at the end of ep 2 excluded.)

Edit: as to the British accent thing: I thought this was initially begun as a Skydance production both in Malta and London. It started life as a UK-based show before Apple ever got involved. I don't think the accent thing was ever brought up other than it being "local" talent hired on.
    I gave my son the books at 13 and he passed. At 16 is fully on board and loving it.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    For now, I am simply going to enjoy the peace.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41

In defense of the series…it's possible that Foundation HAS to be "boring" because the original trilogy was NOT an action book. It was very much about ideas and thinking about history and time…which does not make for an exciting film series.

This was beautiful to watch.  It has been decades since I read the original trilogy. I recognized some of the characters, and I even remembered the space elevator!  So I did't get bored, and I might even bring the book back out and read it again sometime soon.

*** later edit -- I didn't read through all the comments, and I now see that I'm not the first poster to say this, lol ***
    edited September 2021 williamlondonBeatswatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 32 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sully54 said:
    These reviews read very similar to the initial reviews of the first season of Game of Thrones so...
    It'd be nice if that were true, but it's not even close to true, as 10 seconds of Googling easily illustrates.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s01
    How do I filter to the initial reviews then?
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 41
    We can understand how a movie version will never be able to match the scope of the books.
    As a lifetime sci-fi fan, I found the imagery amazing, and can excuse the liberties taken on the plot, as some were necessary.
    This will become a classic. If however, you are wondering where the weird creatures and light sabres are.. next aisle

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 41
    I love how rich and detailed the movie is. 

For some reason I just can’t get into the two lead characters though. And I was expecting it to have some different take on things. But instead it is girl meets guy and they inexplicably fall I love or something like it, sleep together until guy goes crazy all while things fall apart around them. Was kinda bummed as I e seen that movie a thousand times. Not giving up though. I know it just getting started. 

The disturbing weirdness surrounding the clones and their rule is interesting snd “supporting”cast are really good. The sheer detail and expansiveness is amazing. Strangely it feels like the main characters kinda get in the way a bit. Wish they were written better or something. Been waiting for this show a long time. Hopefully other episodes focus on more interesting characters. 

Just please keep up the hard work! Don’t end up like star trek discovery or the expanse where all this detail, expansive story. Amazing design is shown off the first season - only to be gone by season 2 where populace galaxies navigated by richlydetailed starships showcased by amazing efffects are replaced by three people walking by some trees, overly emoting their expressions as they “ bond” as a team or something. Or the futuristic lavish set and costume design mysteriously disappears and gets replaced by aluminum foil tents in your backyard and thrift store costumes. Then season three comes and it’s pure filler, replete with 2 minute long  scenes that consist of a closeup on a characters face. 

Would love to see this really push the quality all the way through. 
    edited September 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 35 of 41
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Revealing Daniel Olivaw so early is a bit of a travesty I think.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lkrupp said:

loopless said:
    Those reviewers who hated it probably thought the mandalorian was the peak of sci-fi. Who wants big ideas and something you actually have to think about when watching. What , no light sabers??
    Exactly. Intelligent and cerebral science fiction often does not do well at the box office. I offer movies like Interstellar, Contact, and Arrival as examples. in those movies the aliens were depicted as advanced, peaceful, and mindful of humanity. The schlock that passes for sci-fi these days always depict aliens as monsters out to destroy the human race and conquer the Earth. And to save special effects money the aliens are always able to assume human form or have the ability to inhabit the human host. Most sci-fi is so dumb, stupid, with easily predicted plots, that it’s not worth watching.

I know a guy who’s one of those “I’m the smartest person in the world and everyone else is an idiot” people and when he talks about aliens he talks about them being so far advanced from humans etc. etc.

we don’t know what aliens know or what they are. For all we know they are advanced in transport but are baffled by sports or they can just be sea creatures or bacteria. 
  • Reply 37 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:

loopless said:
    Those reviewers who hated it probably thought the mandalorian was the peak of sci-fi. Who wants big ideas and something you actually have to think about when watching. What , no light sabers??
    Exactly. Intelligent and cerebral science fiction often does not do well at the box office. I offer movies like Interstellar, Contact, and Arrival as examples. in those movies the aliens were depicted as advanced, peaceful, and mindful of humanity. The schlock that passes for sci-fi these days always depict aliens as monsters out to destroy the human race and conquer the Earth. And to save special effects money the aliens are always able to assume human form or have the ability to inhabit the human host. Most sci-fi is so dumb, stupid, with easily predicted plots, that it’s not worth watching.
    Interstellar and Arrival were both hits at the box office.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41
    I found the first 2 episodes very interesting. I am yet to read the books, so I cannot do a direct comparison, which is probably a blessing and a curse! I loved the concept of the Empire (which isn't from the books) and thought Jared Harris was really great. 

I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes and hope it does get renewed.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    ZooMigo said:
    Aside from falling asleep halfway through (not unusual), I had 1 big complaint. Why is it every “epic story” is full of people with British accents? Did the UK conquer the universe and leave everyone else behind? Star Wars, Dune, so many shows, so many English accents. I know, it’s a small quibble, but it bothers me enough to pull me out of immersion. 
    Because they're English actors? Lee Pace and his clones don't speak with an English accent. Obi Wan Kenobi and C3PO and Tarkin have English accents because they're English actors. Did Luke, Leia, or Han have an English accent? No. Dune? Not sure which iteration you mean but I think they all have a mix as well.

The idea that everyone should have a homogenous (presumably American) English accent is bizarre.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 41
    I'm kind of shocked at how dumbed down it is. I can't believe Asimov's writing was so simple-minded. The dialog was offensively dopey. I hate how people keep saying "shit". 

I enjoyed Zephyr's "Mother" speech. That was cool. I can imagine Asimov writing in favor of diversity and evolution, opposed to the sameness of genetic cloning. 
    edited November 2021