iPad mini review roundup: Superior speed but missing a critical feature

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Years ago I had an iPad mini. It was very difficult to read newspapers on the mini. I now have a 6th generation regular iPad. It's fine for reading newspapers but it's sluggish. Would the new mini display newspaper pages better than the older one (4-5 years back) did? Would it be peppier than my 6th gen iPad?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 48
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    whoopie said:
    Years ago I had an iPad mini. It was very difficult to read newspapers on the mini. I now have a 6th generation regular iPad. It's fine for reading newspapers but it's sluggish. Would the new mini display newspaper pages better than the older one (4-5 years back) did? Would it be peppier than my 6th gen iPad?
    No and yes.

The iPad mini 8.3 is basically the same size as your old iPad mini 7.9. It's not going to give you more words per page in a larger font. So reading newspapers on it will still feel cramped if it felt cramped on the old one. For speed, the new mini is currently in about the top 5% of computers for single core CPU performance. It's going to feel peppier than your iPad 6th gen.

You are better off getting an iPad 10.2 9th gen or an iPad Air 10.9 if you need a larger display for reading.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Roca91 said:
    "Not for work..." said by a person who does not appreciate all of the professional uses for this device. I've commented here before, but as a pilot this is the ONLY size appropriate for a smaller airplane cockpit. In fact, Apple displayed pilot software (Foreflight) in its debut. I cannot overstate how critical this device is to pilots to get navigation info, weather, charts and much, much more. It doesn't matter how much it costs, this is the only size iPad I will buy from now on. I will add that those of us who use the iPad in harsh temperatures and direct sunlight still need some improvements. Brighter screen, and better internal cooling are needed to make this device better. The protective cases serve only to make the device even hotter and it's a problem. The specialized fan cases run $100 and up.
    I'm really glad Apple worked through that: 
    The original Mini was both small and cheap -- and there were LOTS of "discussions" here about which it was and should be:  Small OR Cheap -- while Apple seemed to waver on whether to even continue the Mini.

But, now they have a small, high end Mini
    AND, a cheap full sized iPad
    .... and nobody here on ai (including me!) ever suggested such a solution.

But, Apple found the best of both worlds!
    Good job Apple!

Respectfully, this is incorrect. There have more than a few people on these very forums, including me, that have been calling, even begging, for a high-end, pro-style mini going back several years. But yes, Apple did deliver (almost) exactly what we’ve been hoping for, so everything else you’re saying is correct. 

I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough.
    Yes, there were people calling for a cheap iPad
    Yes, there were people calling for a small iPad

But nobody called for the route Apple would take that would satisfy them both.
    Again, that is very much to Apple's credit.  The solution broke away from standard, either/or thinking.  It was "thinking different"
    Your point was clear, both times. And I’m telling you it’s not accurate. There have been many people “calling for a small iPad”, and they’ve all wanted it to be more powerful, i.e. more expensive, not less powerful, i.e. cheaper. The entry level iPad is Apple’s best selling tablet, and it already fills the role of the “a cheap iPad”; and it is in no danger of going anywhere, and everyone knows this. Therefore, those calling for the more powerful Mini have, in essence,  been calling for exactly “the route Apple would take”, for years. Years, George. Just because you didn’t know about it doesn’t make it false. I’m glad you were surprised and delighted by what you saw, but to say “nobody here on ai ever suggested such a solution” is  completely wrong. Plenty of people here have suggested this very solution, just not you. 

I'm glad I made the point clearly -- both times.
    And sorry that you missed it -- both times.
    Lol. Whatever dude. I’ve now explained to you twice, in language a toddler could instead, why your statement is wrong. How me and many others on AI have been calling for the cheaper iPad and the smaller iPad to be 2 different products. But since you missed those conversations and this release took you by surprise, then everyone else must have as myopic an imagination as you. You didn’t read those posts, therefore they never existed. Interesting worldview there. 
    That was nice of you...
    But you neither understood my point nor were your facts correct.   But I do see you swinging over to now claiming that you always advocated for a small, high end iPad as well as a larger, cheaper iPad -- before Apple had either of those two.   I think that's bull.   But it is progress.

edited September 2021
  • Reply 44 of 48
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Roca91 said:
    "Not for work..." said by a person who does not appreciate all of the professional uses for this device. I've commented here before, but as a pilot this is the ONLY size appropriate for a smaller airplane cockpit. In fact, Apple displayed pilot software (Foreflight) in its debut. I cannot overstate how critical this device is to pilots to get navigation info, weather, charts and much, much more. It doesn't matter how much it costs, this is the only size iPad I will buy from now on. I will add that those of us who use the iPad in harsh temperatures and direct sunlight still need some improvements. Brighter screen, and better internal cooling are needed to make this device better. The protective cases serve only to make the device even hotter and it's a problem. The specialized fan cases run $100 and up.
    The original Mini was both small and cheap -- and there were LOTS of "discussions" here about which it was and should be:  Small OR Cheap -- while Apple seemed to waver on whether to even continue the Mini.

Good job Apple!

Respectfully, this is incorrect. There have more than a few people on these very forums, including me, that have been calling, even begging, for a high-end, pro-style mini going back several years. But yes, Apple did deliver (almost) exactly what we’ve been hoping for, so everything else you’re saying is correct. 

Again, that is very much to Apple's credit.  The solution broke away from standard, either/or thinking.  It was "thinking different"
    Your point was clear, both times. And I’m telling you it’s not accurate. There have been many people “calling for a small iPad”, and they’ve all wanted it to be more powerful, i.e. more expensive, not less powerful, i.e. cheaper. The entry level iPad is Apple’s best selling tablet, and it already fills the role of the “a cheap iPad”; and it is in no danger of going anywhere, and everyone knows this. Therefore, those calling for the more powerful Mini have, in essence,  been calling for exactly “the route Apple would take”, for years. Years, George. Just because you didn’t know about it doesn’t make it false. I’m glad you were surprised and delighted by what you saw, but to say “nobody here on ai ever suggested such a solution” is  completely wrong. Plenty of people here have suggested this very solution, just not you. 

Lol. Whatever dude. I’ve now explained to you twice, in language a toddler could instead, why your statement is wrong. How me and many others on AI have been calling for the cheaper iPad and the smaller iPad to be 2 different products. But since you missed those conversations and this release took you by surprise, then everyone else must have as myopic an imagination as you. You didn’t read those posts, therefore they never existed. Interesting worldview there. 
    That was nice of you...
    But you neither understood my point nor were your facts correct.   But I do see you swinging over to now claiming that you always advocated for a small, high end iPad as well as a larger, cheaper iPad -- before Apple had either of those two.   I think that's bull.   But it is progress.

Yes, I’ve understood your point all along. You’re not exactly Socrates, man. And I’m not suddenly swinging anywhere new…I’ve been saying the same thing the whole time, just using different words to do so, since you’re apparently too dense to read between the lines and need every tiny detail explained to you. So let me be absolutely explicit in telling you that, YES, I have been advocating for several years for “a small, high end iPad as well as a larger, cheaper iPad — before Apple had either of those two”.  And I’m not the only one, there are many more people on AI that have been doing the same. I’m sorry you’re not clever enough to imagine such a profound lineup on your own, and therefore just assume that nobody else can either.  Read my posts again, I’ve been saying literally this exact same thing for two friggin days. And if you’re still too stubborn to just admit you were wrong, then I genuinely feel sorry for you. I began this whole thing by saying “respectfully”…now I’d like to end it by retracting that respect. Go ahead and have the last word, I won’t see it because I’m done with all this foolishness. 
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Roca91 said:

Good job Apple!

That was nice of you...

Yes, I’ve understood your point all along. You’re not exactly Socrates, man. And I’m not suddenly swinging anywhere new…I’ve been saying the same thing the whole time, just using different words to do so, since you’re apparently too dense to read between the lines and need every tiny detail explained to you. So let me be absolutely explicit in telling you that, YES, I have been advocating for several years for “a small, high end iPad as well as a larger, cheaper iPad — before Apple had either of those two”.  And I’m not the only one, there are many more people on AI that have been doing the same. I’m sorry you’re not clever enough to imagine such a profound lineup on your own, and therefore just assume that nobody else can either.  Read my posts again, I’ve been saying literally this exact same thing for two friggin days. And if you’re still too stubborn to just admit you were wrong, then I genuinely feel sorry for you. I began this whole thing by saying “respectfully”…now I’d like to end it by retracting that respect. Go ahead and have the last word, I won’t see it because I’m done with all this foolishness. 

Oh yeh, thanks for reminding me about that overwhelming clamor for Apple to produce a high end Mini along with a cheap large format iPad (your latest version of the story).  People were out in the streets with signs protesting because Apple hadn't done so and instead was speculated to be eliminating the Mini completely.  

Yes, you were right all along.
    Now go take your meds.

• Reply 46 of 48
    mike1 said:
    netrox said:
    isnt iPad Mini also a phone since it supports cellular (if you go for celluar in addition to wifi)? 

You can use cellular for data, but won't have a phone number. You can really overcome this with an app like Skype which will generate a phone number for people to reach you.
    An iPad can absolutely be used as a phone (my 12.9" iPad Pro w/cellular as a phone, sometimes).  And it's at no additional cost to your iPhone mobile service or the iPad cellular data service.

The iPhone and iPad/Mac must be signed in with the same Apple ID.  If you mobile service on your iPhone supports it, turn on "Calls on Other Devices":  Settings app -> Phone -> Allow Calls on Other Devices -> Enable on whichever devices appear.  This allows calls on the iPad/Mac whenever they are on the same Wi-Fi network as the iPhone - the iPhone needs to be nearby.  This is a pre-requisite for what you want.  Below are the details to make it work like you want.

On a Mac turn on "Upgrade to Wi-Fi Calling" in The FaceTime Preferences.  If you do not see a button to turn on "Upgrade to Wi-Fi Calling", then your mobile service does not support it.  This feature is described as "User your iPhone carrier account to make and receive calls from this Mac even when your iPhone is not nearby."  I know AT&T supports this feature on all the plans I've had over the years.  My wife is on XFinity Mobile (backed by Verizon service) and she does not have this option.  I don't know if Verizon doesn't' support it or if XFinity doesn't support it.

On an iPad turn on "Calls from iPhone":  Settings app -> FaceTime -> Calls from iPhone -> Calls from iPhone.  On the iPad, this feature is described as "Use your iPhone cellular account to make and receive calls directly on this iPad using Wi-Fi or cellular data."

I've used this on my iPads for years. The iPad have had T-Mobile Pay as you go 5GB for 150 days for $10, and now an unlimited AT&T add-on for $20 per month.  Calls always come through on the iPad.

Outgoing calls are made via the FaceTime app.  On the Mac, incoming calls open FaceTime.  I don't remember on the iPad.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 47 of 48
    netrox said:
    isnt iPad Mini also a phone since it supports cellular (if you go for celluar in addition to wifi)? 

Yes, but you need an app for that. Apple doesn't include the iPhone VOIP app, nor is it available as a downloadable app. But there's plenty of VOIP apps available. I've used iPad Minis to also be my "phone" (with buds) since Mini 1. Call over wifi when in wifi zones, use cellular data when not. It all works great. 

Favorite FREE VOIP app available for it: Google Voice. It takes and makes calls (rings iPad when called) and it sends and receives texts from non-Apple people (and also gives me notifications of new texts). With Apple people I text through Messages and video conf through FaceTime, just like anyone does with iPhone.

Other VOIP apps I've used/like: Talkatone and Comcast Voice... the latter when I had their landline service. Anyone anti-Google-everything certainly has plenty of other options. There's also some cheap-but-paid apps with more features. 

Like many people, my pure "phone" usage of these devices is not that heavy, so this is like we use iPhones for everything else... except with a bigger screen. 

Key Negatives: it doesn't fit in a pocket as well as iPhone (suit pocket works, bag/purse, or I just tuck it under an arm when I need it with me but am not in a full suit), if you like Watch or CarPlay full functionality, BOTH of those need to be married to an iPhone, cameras are superior in iPhone, you can't use Messages for texts from non-Apple people, so you basically are texting through 2 apps instead of one (I just park both apps in the iPad dock for quick access), 911 functionality is not there (but I just put in my local emergency contacts as a single button click instead of having to click 3), a few entities like Uber and Ticketmaster, etc don't recognize Google Voice numbers as "cell" numbers (so I also have the Talkatone app which creates a dynamic cell number which will satisfy text-based authentication. Since that's often about what will then be lots of text spam, I'm not giving them my main number so I somewhat see that as a positive). 

Key Positives: ONE device to carry instead of two. Since iPads seem to "keep up" longer, the upgrade cycle can be slower without getting behind on iOS features (so not feeling strong compulsion to buy new ones every year or two saves a lot of money), still full Apple/iOS, cellular data services for iPad can get down to as little as $5/month so the annual cell bill can get down to $60 if one does not need gobs of cellular data (I'm in wifi most of that time, so that applies to me), all the benefits of a screen bigger than iPhone.

Is this for everyone? NO, nothing is for everyone. But I can offer it has worked very well for me since MINI 1. Nobody on the other end notices that I don't have an iPhone and the money savings is sizable over time (vs. buying new phones every year or two and ongoing cellular cost differences). 

BONUS: if you do have or need a landline at home (alarm system, still need to fax sometimes, etc), look up the Obihai device. It will also use Google Voice for landline calls. When someone calls my "phone", my home phones also ring. When I call out from either, I'm using the same phone number. That also "just works" and has for years. Cost of local & long distance this way? $0 if all calls are in North America. 

When I first went this way, I transferred my old landline through a few days of Tmobile to (be able to transfer it to) Google Voice. So that was keeping my main number but getting to use it in more ways. People already using a mobile number can direct transfer if they want... or setup a new (free) number with GV and have it auto-forward to their existing number. 

Impending Mini 6 will also be my new "phone." I look forward to the big upgrade over the existing Mini... then doing it again in about 4-6 years to about MINI 9 or 10 or maybe iPhone Fold 2 or 3.
    See my previous post in this article, on this topic.

"Yes, but you need an app for that" - you are wrong.  Use your AppleID and the phone/messages/FaceTime features.

"you can't use Messages for texts from non-Apple people" - you are wrong.  I text to non-Apple people all the time with Messages on the Mac & my iPad.  Again - it's linked to my phone, and my phone does not need to be near or with me, and it does not even have to be on.  Again - see my other post in this discussion.

"
    911 functionality is not there" - wrong again.  Sounds like you haven't used some of the features Apple offers!

• Reply 48 of 48
    nicholfd said:
    netrox said:

Yes, but you need an app for that. Apple doesn't include the iPhone VOIP app, nor is it available as a downloadable app. But there's plenty of VOIP apps available. I've used iPad Minis to also be my "phone" (with buds) since Mini 1. Call over wifi when in wifi zones, use cellular data when not. It all works great. 

Favorite FREE VOIP app available for it: Google Voice. It takes and makes calls (rings iPad when called) and it sends and receives texts from non-Apple people (and also gives me notifications of new texts). With Apple people I text through Messages and video conf through FaceTime, just like anyone does with iPhone.

Other VOIP apps I've used/like: Talkatone and Comcast Voice... the latter when I had their landline service. Anyone anti-Google-everything certainly has plenty of other options. There's also some cheap-but-paid apps with more features. 

Like many people, my pure "phone" usage of these devices is not that heavy, so this is like we use iPhones for everything else... except with a bigger screen. 

Key Negatives: it doesn't fit in a pocket as well as iPhone (suit pocket works, bag/purse, or I just tuck it under an arm when I need it with me but am not in a full suit), if you like Watch or CarPlay full functionality, BOTH of those need to be married to an iPhone, cameras are superior in iPhone, you can't use Messages for texts from non-Apple people, so you basically are texting through 2 apps instead of one (I just park both apps in the iPad dock for quick access), 911 functionality is not there (but I just put in my local emergency contacts as a single button click instead of having to click 3), a few entities like Uber and Ticketmaster, etc don't recognize Google Voice numbers as "cell" numbers (so I also have the Talkatone app which creates a dynamic cell number which will satisfy text-based authentication. Since that's often about what will then be lots of text spam, I'm not giving them my main number so I somewhat see that as a positive). 

Key Positives: ONE device to carry instead of two. Since iPads seem to "keep up" longer, the upgrade cycle can be slower without getting behind on iOS features (so not feeling strong compulsion to buy new ones every year or two saves a lot of money), still full Apple/iOS, cellular data services for iPad can get down to as little as $5/month so the annual cell bill can get down to $60 if one does not need gobs of cellular data (I'm in wifi most of that time, so that applies to me), all the benefits of a screen bigger than iPhone.

Is this for everyone? NO, nothing is for everyone. But I can offer it has worked very well for me since MINI 1. Nobody on the other end notices that I don't have an iPhone and the money savings is sizable over time (vs. buying new phones every year or two and ongoing cellular cost differences). 

BONUS: if you do have or need a landline at home (alarm system, still need to fax sometimes, etc), look up the Obihai device. It will also use Google Voice for landline calls. When someone calls my "phone", my home phones also ring. When I call out from either, I'm using the same phone number. That also "just works" and has for years. Cost of local & long distance this way? $0 if all calls are in North America. 

When I first went this way, I transferred my old landline through a few days of Tmobile to (be able to transfer it to) Google Voice. So that was keeping my main number but getting to use it in more ways. People already using a mobile number can direct transfer if they want... or setup a new (free) number with GV and have it auto-forward to their existing number. 

Impending Mini 6 will also be my new "phone." I look forward to the big upgrade over the existing Mini... then doing it again in about 4-6 years to about MINI 9 or 10 or maybe iPhone Fold 2 or 3.
    See my previous post in this article, on this topic.

"Yes, but you need an app for that" - you are wrong.  Use your AppleID and the phone/messages/FaceTime features.

"you can't use Messages for texts from non-Apple people" - you are wrong.  I text to non-Apple people all the time with Messages on the Mac & my iPad.  Again - it's linked to my phone, and my phone does not need to be near or with me, and it does not even have to be on.  Again - see my other post in this discussion.

"911 functionality is not there" - wrong again.  Sounds like you haven't used some of the features Apple offers!

Thank you but you seem to be assuming that I have iPhone too. I do not.

If one has no iPhone, they have no iPhone-type functionalities like those where you accuse me of being wrong.

For example, I certainly can NOT text non-Apple people using Messages... only Apple MacOS or iOS people. To text non-Apple people, I text from Google Voice (app). It (or any other VOIP app) is the ONLY way. It works just fine but that is a shortcoming of using iPad to also be "phone": I use 2 apps depending on with whom I'm communicating vs. one... and have to use GV if texting non-Apple people. 

Non-Apple people also can't text me in Messages. Instead, they text me to Google Voice. Why? Again, without iPhone, Messages (app) is not linked to a phone number. To text my phone number, it must go to Google Voice.

Messages is certainly CAPABLE of working that way. For the period of time between moving from my long-term landline through short-term Tmobile account on an old iPhone to GoogleVoice, Apple servers seemed to continue to think I had iPhone on Tmobile for a while. For about 3-4 weeks AFTER moving that number to Google Voice, Messages, etc worked just like it does on iPhone. Texts to/from that phone number worked just fine in Messages- Apple people or not. And then- presumably- some kind of checking system with Tmobile noticed I was no longer an active iPhone user on Tmobile. iPhone-like functionality with non-Apple people through Apple apps ceased. I assume Apple services really, really want us all to have an iPhone. No iPhone? No (full) service. 

My post was about using iPad Mini to ALSO be a "phone" with no iPhone at all in the mix. Take iPhone out of the mix and certain "wrongs" do not make a right. I wish it worked like that.

edited October 2021 williamlondon