Apple offers iPhone 13, new iPad owners fixes for Music & widget bugs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2021
Apple late Thursday warned of potential Apple Music and iOS 15 widget bugs that might crop up when restoring one of its newly released devices from a backup.

iPhone 13

According to a pair of support documents, new iPhone 13, ninth-generation iPad and sixth-generation iPad mini owners could suffer minor inconveniences from the setup process. Both problems relate to restoring the new devices from a backup file.

Apple in a first document warns that users might not be able to access their Apple Music catalog, Apple Music settings, or enable the app's Sync Library feature after initially setting up a new device from a backup. The issue presents on all new iPhone 13 models, the new entry-level iPad and iPad mini.

Apple says a software update should clear the problem and reactivate the lost Apple Music functions. Users can perform an update by navigating to Settings > General and tapping Software Update.

A second issue reverts widgets to their default settings after restoring from a backup. Again, the bug impacts new iPhone 13, iPad and iPad mini models.

There is no fix for the reset bug, meaning users will need to customize their widgets anew. This is completed by touching and holding a widget to open the quick actions menu, tapping "Edit [widget name]" and making changes. Modifications are saved by tapping outside of the widget.

Apple's latest iPhone and iPad models were announced last week, with deliveries currently arriving to early preorder customers in regions where it is Sept. 24.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    WTF???? This is utter rubbish. The inability to access your music? Are the friggin insane? Did not they test this? Isn’t that what a beta testing program is for?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Is the play for 15 seconds and then the music stops bug for playing downloaded music offline still happen?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Apparently you can avoid this issue by using device-to-device data migration when setting up your new iPhone 13, rather than restoring from a backup. 

Also, apparently the 13s shipping now have a pre 15.0 build of iOS on them, so updating iOS is a good idea, anyway. 
    edited September 2021 Hank2.0
  • Reply 4 of 10
    AppleZulu said:
    Apparently you can avoid this issue by using device-to-device data migration when setting up your new iPhone 13, rather than restoring from a backup. 

Also, apparently the 13s shipping now have a pre 15.0 build of iOS on them, so updating iOS is a good idea, anyway. 
    How do you update iOS during initial setup before migration?  Do a basic initial setup, get on the internet and do iOS update, then reset to factory and start over?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Restore from a backup file, then do the update, then everything should work.... 
    It's a bug, sure... and it shouldn't be there... but the fix is something people were going to do anyway, so I guess I don't understand "Skeptical"s outrage.

Hank2.0
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Skeptical said:
    WTF???? This is utter rubbish. The inability to access your music? Are the friggin insane? Did not they test this? Isn’t that what a beta testing program is for?
    As a beta tester, I can answer this question: During the beta test, you don't ever back up your phone and restore it. You just update to the beta operating system. I bet almost no beta testers tried backing up and restoring their iPhones.
    edited September 2021 dewme
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    My 13 PM keeps pausing the restore from iCloud due to overheating.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    New 13 Pro went straight to the option for a direct transfer from the old phone. The only hiccup was after it was finished, the old phone got stuck on the transferring data to new phone screen with 1 minute to go. Finally canceled that out and turned the old device off. Music plays fine. Miles Davis Kind of Blue just came out in a Dolby Atmos mix, by the way. 

Eventually, a prompt to update iOS turned on in the settings app. So I'll do that in a bit.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ITGUYINSD said:
    AppleZulu said:

How do you update iOS during initial setup before migration?  Do a basic initial setup, get on the internet and do iOS update, then reset to factory and start over?
    The iOS update comes after the setup of the new phone. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    cpsro said:
    My 13 PM keeps pausing the restore from iCloud due to overheating.
    I saw the same issue. Go to Settings/iCloud/Backup and stop the restore. This process is getting into an infinite loop counting down through the amount of data remaining to restore, which in my case was around 3.5 GB and counting down to less than 100 MB at which point it would loop back to starting over again at the higher number. Unfortunately while the restore is running it prevents the installation of the needed iPadOS 15 update. Once I stopped the restore I was able to install the iPadOS 15 update and everything went back to normal.

The restore process failed quite badly from the start.  While it was in the failed state the new iPad assumed the identity of the iPad that the restore was created from, which for me was an iPad Pro 12.9”. Until I got the restore stopped and the freshly released iPadOS 15 update on the mini it exhibited a couple of bad behavior s, including the inability to switch to the numeric keys on the virtual keyboard.

Yeah, it sucks that customers had to experience these hiccups. In a perfect world no software would ever have issues, but all nontrivial software does have issues because it is nearly impossible to test all possible normal and abnormal execution paths. Anyone who thinks they can do a better job than Apple’s developers and testers and who hasn’t already contacted Apple for a job should do so immediately. I for one would love to see bugs like this one quashed before finding their way into customer's hands. 

In retrospect I probably should have opted to do a totally fresh install. But the restore did save me from having to re-enter login credentials in numerous places. All is good now and I’m digging the new mini in a big way. 
    edited September 2021