iPhone 14 will get complete redesign and lose mini model in 2022

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
Apple's next iPhone release, the "iPhone 14," will have more changes than the iPhone 13, according to a report, with a "complete redesign" on the cards for the 2022 models.

Apple has only just released its iPhone 13 range, but that hasn't stopped the rumor mill from moving to speculate about next year's models. In a Sunday report, it is claimed that there will be big things happening for the "iPhone 14."

In the Bloomberg "Power On" newsletter, Mark Gurman claims "new entry-level and Pro models" will be introduced in 2022, along wih a "complete redesign." To justify the change, Gurman points to relatively minor changes for this year as a sign "that Apple's engineers were working behind the scenes on bigger things that will take more time."

One big change will be the four-device roster itself, with Gurman saying that the mini model may not survive for another year. Instead, Apple could plan for a regular-sized iPhone, a Max-sized version, and the usual two Pro models.

Gurman's comments follow after initial renders surfaced for a supposed "iPhone 14" model, which eliminates the notch and the camera bump from the design. While one render said there would be a hole-punch camera on the front, another rumor claimed elements of the TrueDepth array would use under-display technology to stay hidden from view.

The next iPhone isn't the only device that Gurman commented about in the newsletter, with the added claim that Apple's foldable hardware, such as the "iPhone Fold," could "release in a few years." This seemingly corroborates with a claim from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo on September 20, stating that a folding iPhone would be ready for launch in the fall of 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    The renders look good, but let’s see what kind of cellular smart gadget the 14 will actually be. The 13 lineup looks already very nice, with my usage I could get 2-3 days already on normal usage, as I still get a full day with my 7 already (but not on heavy use days..).

I’ll be holding onto my 7 until it breaks or dies and I won’t regret a second buying 13, even if it would happen just before the launch of new iPhone next year.

edit: well, I would regret it a little maybe…
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 2 of 35
    My wife was sporting an iPhone 8 and was happy with it (except for the battery is starting to show its age).  She decided to get the 13 mini this weekend with the rumors of the mini being discontinued next year.  She really like the small form factor.  It's a heck of a nice phone, she digs the upgrade for sure.
    We were able to walk into the Apple store and buy the 13 mini immediately.  Seems like sales are pretty slow for this model if they had them in stock the day after release.
    byronl
  • Reply 3 of 35
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    How about iPhone 16 or 17 will be totally redesign ? If you need to replace/upgrade your current iPhone or Android phone than just go get the new iPhone of your choice.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 4 of 35
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    If you have anything other than a 12, the 13 is a nice upgrade.  Even if you have the 12, if you’re eligible to upgrade/trade, it makes sense.  With me, I have a 12 Pro Max in good shape.  I’m with the AT&T program, and still owe $200 before I can upgrade early.  I think I’m going to wait for the 14.  I’d also agree that a redesign is likely. It just makes sense with the tick tock upgrade cycle.  
  • Reply 5 of 35
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    I still can’t find any realistic rationale, even 5G, for replacing my iPhone X/256, especially since I replaced the battery. I use the camera for generic snapshots, like most everyone else. Give me a reason,  please !
    mobirdjahblade
  • Reply 6 of 35
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    I’m skeptical the “smaller notch” will be eliminated so quickly.  I think the non-pro models keep the notch.

The render may have it right… for the Pro models.  iPhone 12 housing, iPhone 13 rear cameras, speed bumped processors, new hole punch front camera, and hidden Face ID components maybe?

Otherwise, it’s more likely the same shell… for all me Not until iPhone 15 or 16 will they likely tweak it. 
  • Reply 7 of 35
    bbh said:
    I still can’t find any realistic rationale, even 5G, for replacing my iPhone X/256, especially since I replaced the battery. I use the camera for generic snapshots, like most everyone else. Give me a reason,  please !
    For someone who just does general snapshotting, the reasons for switching would come down to 1) Much faster performance, thanks to faster chip, 5G, Wifi 6 and overall system improvements since the X. Of course, you probably think your X isn't sluggish because it's not something you'd notice unless you switched. I'm especially impressed with the internet speed of the 13 vs the 12... pages just seem to pop onscreen SO quickly now. 2) Much better battery life, nearly 50% more. 3) Flat sided design--this made a big difference in handling for me, 

Other than that, the camera improvements have been amazing, but not of interest to you, so my guess is that you're going to stick with your X. 

edited September 2021
  • Reply 8 of 35
    I would like Apple to keep the mini, maybe even a bit smaller like the iPhone 5 and no notch, Touch ID in the button like on some of the iPads and camera lenses sinked in. I think The Mini has it´s pros in the product line and that there is a misunderstanding that it is not capable of as much as the "ordinary" 12 or 13. If that misunderstanding could be eliminated I am sure the Mini would sell a whole lot more.
    nadriel
  • Reply 9 of 35
    There is zero chance it's going to get a 'complete redesign' next year, or in the foreseeable future.

The reality is that phones are a mature product now.  Next year's iPhone will look a lot like last year's iPhone.  There has been zero substantive change since 2017, and that wasn't a change for the better with the loss of the home button.  The cameras get slightly better, the chips get slightly faster, and the edges change shape slightly.  And the edges are cyclical, the first iPhone had rounded edges, the 4 got more squared off edges, the 6 went back to rounded, and now we're back to more squared off.

But ultimately phones haven't changed since 2007.  There's a touchscreen, some cameras, a battery, a logic board, and some buttons.  Sure, the UI gets slightly uglier every year, and has since it got massively uglier in 2013 with the UI abomination that was iOS 7.

Oh, and at some point Apple will introduce a copy of Samsung's folding phone.  It will have the same problems, it'll be more fragile, because folding screens have to be.  And even though it'll just be a copy of something stupid Samsung did years before, people here will call Apple 'innovative' for doing it.
    spice-boy
  • Reply 10 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    darkvader said:
    There is zero chance it's going to get a 'complete redesign' next year, or in the foreseeable future.

The reality is that phones are a mature product now.  Next year's iPhone will look a lot like last year's iPhone.  There has been zero substantive change since 2017, and that wasn't a change for the better with the loss of the home button.  The cameras get slightly better, the chips get slightly faster, and the edges change shape slightly.  And the edges are cyclical, the first iPhone had rounded edges, the 4 got more squared off edges, the 6 went back to rounded, and now we're back to more squared off.

But ultimately phones haven't changed since 2007.  There's a touchscreen, some cameras, a battery, a logic board, and some buttons.  Sure, the UI gets slightly uglier every year, and has since it got massively uglier in 2013 with the UI abomination that was iOS 7.

Oh, and at some point Apple will introduce a copy of Samsung's folding phone.  It will have the same problems, it'll be more fragile, because folding screens have to be.  And even though it'll just be a copy of something stupid Samsung did years before, people here will call Apple 'innovative' for doing it.
    People should mine you, you're so salty.
    sdw2001fastasleepnadrielStrangeDaysjahblade
  • Reply 11 of 35
    darkvader said:

A complete redesign doesn't mean it has to be radically different.  Of course phones have been "the same" since 2007...that's when the modern smartphone was basically invented (sans keyboard).  Is my 2015 MBP radically different from the Pismo Powerbook I had, circa 2000?  They both have screens, keyboards, memory, storage, and communications.  You know why?  Because they are laptops.  No one would argue that the G4 Titanium PowerBook wasn't a "complete redesign" of the aforementioned notebook.  Would they?  

A "complete redesign" is no different than what car manufacturers do.  They change generations every few years. Sometimes the change are huge, sometimes not as much.  The point is they aren't just taking the exact same platform and tweaking it.  The iPhone 13 is a tweaked iPhone 12.  The 12 may have not been a complete redesign of the 11, but it has significant differences in processor, display, drop protection, aesthetics, etc.  

The comment on the iPhone X is really something.  One can't just dismiss the removal of the home button as insignificant because one doesn't like it.  It was a major change.  

The best part of your rant?  Apple copying Samsung.  Pardon me while spit out my coffee from laughing.  
    StrangeDaysjahblade
  • Reply 12 of 35
    bbh said:
    I had a X like that.  The performance difference between that and even the iPhone 12 is major in nearly every way.  Heck, I owned a XS Max, and that was well-worth the price to upgrade.  

Reasons:  WiFi 6.  Far superior camera, even for causal shooting.  At least 50% faster.  A brighter, better contrast OLED display.  5G. Longer battery life.  MagSafe. Shall I go on?  
  • Reply 13 of 35
    ii honestly don't really know what Apple (or anyone else) could really do in terms of a major physical overhaul of the phone...

i think most iPhone enthusiasts on here would love a radical iOS overhaul just for the fun of it but Apples other 100M+ customers would hate that. so it wont happen.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 35
    I have said many times, when Apple gives the mini the "Pro" upgrade (excluding size restrained features) they will have delivered the mini that many had originally hoped to see. Cosmetically and photography related parity to the IPhone Pro will probably get the reluctant who have desired the smaller iPhone but not wanting the "economically focused" iPhone mini Apple believed the market was asking for. When many iPhone owners over the years were wishing, hoping, & praying for a smaller form-factor of their beloved iPhone, myself included, I don't recall anyone's desire to make it smaller for economical reasons. I think it would be safe to say we wanted our iPhone Pro in a smaller form-factor that is all.
    Japheynadriel
  • Reply 15 of 35
    This past spring when articles were discussing Apple's disappointment with the overall reception of the iPhone 12 mini and already speculating the demise of the mini, I had by then already read many reviews of the mini and decided that I would go ahead and purchase one to play with. I have been using my iPhone X since it's release, I enjoy everything that the iPhone X has to offer. The iPhone 12 mini gets me current with all things Apple including Airtags.
    The iPhone X has some forms of nostalgia - I kept it and will use it as a Roon endpoint for guests.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mobird said:
    I have said many times, when Apple gives the mini the "Pro" upgrade (excluding size restrained features) they will have delivered the mini that many had originally hoped to see. Cosmetically and photography related parity to the IPhone Pro will probably get the reluctant who have desired the smaller iPhone but not wanting the "economically focused" iPhone mini Apple believed the market was asking for. When many iPhone owners over the years were wishing, hoping, & praying for a smaller form-factor of their beloved iPhone, myself included, I don't recall anyone's desire to make it smaller for economical reasons. I think it would be safe to say we wanted our iPhone Pro in a smaller form-factor that is all.
    Nice post. Of course, this is what everyone has been trying to say about the Mini all along. But you really hit the nail on the head and explained it better and more succinctly than most (all?) of the others that have tried. 
  • Reply 17 of 35
    darkvader said:

Are you an energy vampire? I started reading this in Colin Robinson’s voice. 
    JapheynadrielStrangeDaysjahblade
  • Reply 18 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I reckon we will get minimum three years of the current design, including the mini.
    the mini would always sell less than the main lines, but I am pretty sure any other company, including Samsung as the nearest volume seller, would love to have a model that sells as many as the iPhone mini.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Out of all the new 13/ 13pro variations, the 13 mini is my favourite. For the mini it perhaps doesn’t make sense to update it every year. So to keep the 13 mini while rolling out the 14 without a mini is probably totally cool. Mini users are probably not typically after the latest and greatest performance as their top criteria when getting a phone.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Exactly how many death of the mini rumours have there been now. What one per month since it reappeared in the line up. 

mobird