Macs just rule for laptops!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry to gush but yesterday I got stuck using my friends Dell Inspiron 8100 for some mundane stuff and it made me ever so glad to get back to my decidedly older but much better Powerbook 500.

I am still amazed at PC speed, his Dell was 1 gig P3 and had the Geforce2go chipset. It ran Warcraft 3 at 1024x768 with all effects on, but there were so many little things wrong too.

His battery is toast, it won't even hold a charge. His screen has a wobble of about 1/2 inch of in the hinge and goes forward and backward a bit. He is running XP Pro and for some reason, the backlighting periodically whacks out and dims for no reason. The only way to fix it is to unplug and replug back in the machine. The periodically restart it. Instead of his keyboard leaving oils from fingers on the screen, it has left literally marks where the LCD displays in slightly discolored fashion.

This was the top of the line Dell like 18 months, ago...

/me hugs Powerbook

OUCH, darn that bottom is hot!

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    A good example of a Microsoft propaganda goal. Which is that PCs look good on paper. On paper they are faster have better vidieo cards and are better deals than macs. PC users are also trained in that frequent restarts and updates are normal and are just part of owning a computer. Your friend who dropped 4 grand on his machine 18 months ago has no idea that he would not be having these normal problems that he is having now if he had a mac.

I ordered a powermac 17 to replace a 400mghz G3 powerbook lombard. the lombard still works fine as does your powerbook 500.

ps. buy stock in apple
  • Reply 2 of 23
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What type of PowerBook 500 is it? Like a 540c or something? Or do you mean a 500 MHz PowerBook, like a G3 or G4?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

ps. buy stock in apple

Always good advice. While you are at it, but MORE Apple stock.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Always good advice. While you are at it, but MORE Apple stock.

I set up an automatic $50 monthly purchase of apple stock at www.buyandhold.com in a roth account

buyandhold.com is great because you can buy partial shares. the minimmum purchase is $20.00 and the charge for a buy is about $3.00

so, ps. buy MORE apple stock every month
  • Reply 5 of 23
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

What type of PowerBook 500 is it? Like a 540c or something? Or do you mean a 500 MHz PowerBook, like a G3 or G4?

Powerbook G4@500

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    yea i really want to pick up some apple stock but i dunno. Its so cheap now and i just know it will shoot up with the 970s this <prays>summer/fall</prays>
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

yea i really want to pick up some apple stock but i dunno. Its so cheap now and i just know it will shoot up with the 970s this <prays>summer/fall</prays>

ITs a no brainer. as people switch to apple we gain market share. since we are only at about 4% of the market the up potential is amazing. It is however a long term investment as apple is still the only company that can make money consistantly and still be concidered in-trouble by experts

go to buy and hold as they are the cheapest way to start investing

www.buyandhold.com
  • Reply 8 of 23
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    All I have to do now is get a job before Apple announce the 970.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Sorry to gush but yesterday I got stuck using my friends Dell Inspiron 8100 for some mundane stuff and it made me ever so glad to get back to my decidedly older but much better Powerbook 500.

I am still amazed at PC speed, his Dell was 1 gig P3 and had the Geforce2go chipset. It ran Warcraft 3 at 1024x768 with all effects on, but there were so many little things wrong too.

His battery is toast, it won't even hold a charge. His screen has a wobble of about 1/2 inch of in the hinge and goes forward and backward a bit. He is running XP Pro and for some reason, the backlighting periodically whacks out and dims for no reason. The only way to fix it is to unplug and replug back in the machine. The periodically restart it. Instead of his keyboard leaving oils from fingers on the screen, it has left literally marks where the LCD displays in slightly discolored fashion.

This was the top of the line Dell like 18 months, ago...

/me hugs Powerbook

OUCH, darn that bottom is hot!

Nick

Yeah, I must agree that Apple is the best for notebooks. Dell is just very cheap crap that does not work half the time. I got a Sony notebook and I must say that I am pretty impressed with it. For the best of notebooks I would again say that Apple is the best for notebooks and for a PC that runs Win XP that Sony is the best for that.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    http://www.sonystyle-europe.com/esho...=PCGZ1SPNL.CEK

This was the only thing that i could find close. It came out a week after i bought my pb. Am i sorry i bought the mac. No.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't necessarily buy the PC laptops are crap argument, they aren't as good as mac laptops, but the better machines are quite good too. The IBM's I've seen have been quite good, and very reliable. Dells are bulky but OK. In fact, there are quite a few good desktop replacement models from quite a few different vendors. However, desktop replacement is one of those categories that's neither here nor there for me. If it doesn't have good battery life and portability, then what's the pointof paying a portable premium? Still this is the category that will slowly eat away what little AIO market remains, as unlike the AIO, it's just portable enough.

It's too bad that Apple doesn't make a desktop that rises to the same standard as their laptop offerings. For now, this house must remain a mac laptop/PC desktop operation.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Our Sales guys use Compaq 1020V ,2.6Ghz 512Mb slow disk and shit graphics etc (standard features).

Not too bad really. Wouldn't mind one if it was free.

The use one of thouse horrible pcmcia dial up cards that is such a hassle, unreliable, slow etc.

Our local mac rep gave us a demo of a 15" PB and dialled up our website use his T68i and bluetooth.

Sales were impressed and everone wanted one.

The bummer was the price.

Dobby.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

The bummer was the price.

Hello steve, hello Apple, is anybody home? Still looking for that other 95% are you?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    It sounds like the Mac rep's error was selling them PowerBooks, which are obviously overfeatured for what they need. He might have sold them all on iBooks.

For what it is, the 15" Ti is not all that expensive.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

It sounds like the Mac rep's error was selling them PowerBooks, which are obviously overfeatured for what they need. He might have sold them all on iBooks.

For what it is, the 15" Ti is not all that expensive.

Actually if you add up the features superdrive, etc. it has the best bang for its buck for price and portability.

show me a pc with the same stats that is cheaper?
  • Reply 16 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Well gee, I run War3 at 1280x1024 at full with no problem on my 1Ghz Ti. . .
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I have a 1 GHz Ti too.. I haven't installed War3... it's sitting there... should I?

I agree on the bad quality of Dell machines. My previous machine was an Inspiron 8000. Total pain in the @$$. It's real heavy too. Avoid at all costs.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, install it! It's crap on my iBook/800, but it's actually about the same on my brother's G4/400 with a Radeon... just goes to show how much AltiVec optimization helps.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I think I'll install it then. Give it a try... I haven't played Warcraft since... hmm.. since Warcraft 2 was still hot. I always liked the Warcraft series and didn't like Starcraft too much.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Man I've lamented on this story a few times on this board...but it's so sad...even after taxes I could have made like 100,000 dollars out of aapl.

like 4 years ago, I wanted to buy...it was at 15...The broker said "Apple is a niche market...I don't think it's wise...blah blah blah"

so I didn't buy....I was willing to plunk down a lot of cash too.

so anyway, I didn't buy, but I watched the stock.

over the next 6 months it rocketed to 150

peaking there, then dropping to like 100 then splitting and hovering at 60 and then in one fell swoop it fell to 25 in one day. it's been down ever since.

I could have made a small fortune....but no.