Apple CEO Tim Cook buys Southern California mansion for $10.1M

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    blastdoor said:
    sflagel said:
    This is just a crash pad for golfing weekends.
    Agreed, and definitely not a “mansion”. 

California real estate is just crazy expensive.
    Maybe playing a little fast and loose with the descriptives, but a 10,000 square foot residence could fairly be called a “mansion”. I have 4 BR and 3 BA in 3,000 sq ft and that is plenty big to me. His is over 3x the size (albeit 2x the bathrooms too).
    Just did the conversions to square meters (it seems pretty much divide by or multiply 10 (10.764 to be exact). The biggest house I've lived in was around 3,000 sq. ft. and it included the basement with nothing in there really (three same size floors) and it still was huge house!

Most of the time I've lived in houses around 1,400 +/- 200 sq ft (4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a sauna), and they still were quite roomy for a family of 5 and varying number of dogs. Do you count the garage etc to the square footage or just the "living space" as we here?

Now I live in an apt. with around 700 sq. ft. and there's plenty of room for me and the missus. I guess we could fit in a kid here, but I'd have to get rid of my (our) home office. Closer to 10,000 sq. ft. sounds like Tim's hosting a lot of dinners or ... likes empty space...?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    For a CEO touting environmental responsibility and with such potential design and financial resources available this raises so many questions...
    I might have expected (hoped for) a choice more along the lines of Naturhus Sweden from Apple TV+ Home adapted for California climate...?

For consideration in comparison Steve Jobs had sought to custom build a 4,910sf home for his entire family: gizmodo.com/exclusive-the-plans-for-steve-jobs-new-house-5649909

"Jobs intends to populate the 6 acres with an assortment of indigenous flora; a simple three-car garage; a modest 5 bedroom home with plenty of windows and decks; a network of lighted stone walkways; and even a private vegetable garden. Everything is neat, tight, pragmatic, and in its place"

"Steve Jobs has gone and designed the iPhone of houses"

... and this was a decade ago when the symptoms of climate change were so widely contested by vested interests ...

How should leadership be defined...?
    I think you are overthinking it.
    ...perhaps...

... then again perhaps we might benefit from thinking more: www.footprintcalculator.org/home/en ...

variety.com/2020/film/reviews/the-new-corporation-the-unfortunately-necessary-sequel-review-the-corporation-1234819215/
    edited September 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 27
    blastdoor said:
    sflagel said:
    This is just a crash pad for golfing weekends.
    Agreed, and definitely not a “mansion”. 

California real estate is just crazy expensive.
    Maybe playing a little fast and loose with the descriptives, but a 10,000 square foot residence could fairly be called a “mansion”. I have 4 BR and 3 BA in 3,000 sq ft and that is plenty big to me. His is over 3x the size (albeit 2x the bathrooms too).
    Fair point regarding size. This site: https://www.millionacres.com/real-estate-basics/what-mansion/ says 8k sq ft is the minimum for being a mansion, so it does check that box. But the rest of the article discusses the qualitative aspects of what distinguishes a mansion from a really big house. Cook’s house sounds like a really big house to me.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    As a part-time resident of La Quinta, let me be the first to say it... There goes the neighborhood. :smile: 
    First it was the Kardashians, then Aunt Becky and now Mr. Cook.  Sheesh, the riff-raff that moves in around here.  Just kidding.  Welcome, TC, if I see you pushing a grocery cart up the road at Ralph's, I'll say hello.
    dewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    For a CEO touting environmental responsibility and with such potential design and financial resources available this raises so many questions...
    It really doesn't.  Private person buys a house.  No questions required.
    dewmenadriel
  • Reply 26 of 27
    A lot of people in Palo Alto, CA are living in $3 million 'mansions'.
    A 1200 sqfeet 50s original ranch in Cupertino goes for $2.5 in the Monte Vista HS zone. I bet that $3M in PA won’t get you anything.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cpsro said:
    Where does the water come from? The aquifer is being rapidly depleted. Not sustainable. 
    Actually riverside county is only in a moderate drought whereas Santa Clara county is Extreme. Steven Creeks reservoir is just a sludge pit this summer.  
    williamlondon