Brazil will fine Apple again for not including charger with iPhone 13

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    every year
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Given how expensive electronic selling in Brazil, because of very high tax and tariff, I wonder how many people opted to buy their electronic in legal market. Just get it in black market or ask your friends and family send one from outside. There are reason why so many international companies are leaving the country. 

A iPhone 13 Pro 128, is R$9499 which is 1761USD, in US it is $999usd. I think just fly to your neigbour country and buy one is still cheaper than get local.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Mondain said
    Charging a phone is an essential process needed to make the phone work. Not selling a phone with all the necessary components is strange indeed. Not everyone has a dozen USB chargers in their kitchen junk drawers waiting for use, which is probably more likely in poorer countries. 
    “Batteries not included” has been the hallmark of many toys and battery powered equipment for years. I have never seen any equipment work with an empty batt compartment. This is no different. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Mondain said
    Charging a phone is an essential process needed to make the phone work. Not selling a phone with all the necessary components is strange indeed. Not everyone has a dozen USB chargers in their kitchen junk drawers waiting for use, which is probably more likely in poorer countries. 
    “Batteries not included” has been the hallmark of many toys and battery powered equipment for years. I have never seen any equipment work with an empty batt compartment. This is no different. 
    It's a fair bit different.  Batteries are a common consumable.  USB chargers aren't uncommon, but it's still a distance away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    rob53 said:
    Mondain said:
    mike1 said:
    I hope Brazil wins, chargers are like 3-4x the price out there than they are for Americans. It’s not fair at all.
    What's not fair? That you don't get what you don't pay for.
    Maybe you should be more concerned with the ridiculously high tariffs and import duties on the chargers.
    Then why can manufacturers not include batteries in products? Can’t operate without them. Does Brazil require batteries in every product that needs them? I’m sure Brazil has enough places that sell USB chargers and people who can buy iPhones know where to find them. Brazil might be a poor country but not iPhone buyers. Just like in the US there are poor people who can’t purchase anything much less an iPhone. 
    How do you know that they can sell devices without batteries in Brazil? This is about Brazilian law, not U.S. law
  • Reply 26 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Several things people are missing here-
    1. This is Brazil. Their laws are different than those in the U.S. They have a right to make their own laws and companies who operate there have an obligation to follow them.
    2. Everyone keeps making the batteries analogy. How do you know Brazil doesn’t also require any necessary batteries to be included with devices? They very well may. Or the law may specifically exclude replaceable consumable batteries.
    3. For everyone saying “I have a whole drawer full of chargers,” I have several, too. They’re all the tiny, inadequate 5W charger with a USB A port. Apple switched to USB C cables and only included a USB C charger with their iPhones for one year before eliminating it so the majority of people will not have a charger compatible with the phone as it comes in the box. Either way, this appears to be irrelevant as it relates to Brazilian law.
    4. This exact case happened last year and Apple was fined last year. The fact that it’s happening again indicates Apple is willingly flouting Brazilian law. If they did the same in the U.S. how do you think U.S. authorities would respond?

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 31
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Brazil should worry about environment more than others on earth. They screwing Amazon rain forest and that is big impact than charger.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    MplsP said:
    Several things people are missing here-

For everyone saying “I have a whole drawer full of chargers,” I have several, too. They’re all the tiny, inadequate 5W charger with a USB A port. Apple switched to USB C cables and only included a USB C charger with their iPhones for one year before eliminating it so the majority of people will not have a charger compatible with the phone as it comes in the box. Either way, this appears to be irrelevant as it relates to Brazilian law.
    What iPhone shipped with a USB-C charger? Are you referring to this? https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/02/apple-forced-to-include-charger-with-iphone-in-sao-paolo

• Reply 29 of 31
    Yeah when you're rich, fines just become a use fee, so Apple is taking that approach.

I still don't understand why people are arguing the increased cost when including the charger, Apple already raised the price (compared to previous iPhones) regardless of the chargers inclusion. You're not receiving what you paid for. This controversy would make more sense if the iPhones dropped price like Samsung had done.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    All countries should fine Apple for that. You pay all of that money for a brand-new phone and you don't have a charger. Imagine if you had the money for the phone but not the charger as they are expensive now also. You won't be able to use the phone 🤣 Utter madness!

williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 31
    If you can’t afford a charger then it’s obvious that you don’t need an iPhone. I hope Apple stops selling products in Brazil. Nothings free. No one here in the US is complaining about the change because our culture knows that nothing is free. Case closed.
    edited April 2022