16-inch MacBook Pro power adapter out of stock ahead of expected revamp

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited September 2021
Ahead of an expected next-generation 16-inch MacBook Pro debut, Apple's online store is showing significant shipping delays for the current model's power adapter.

MacBook Pro

The 16-inch MacBook Pro's 96W USB-C power adapter is currently out of stock on the U.S. Online Apple Store, with estimated delivery times quoted at two to three months. Other countries are showing identical stock-outs, with the accessory not available in many brick-and-mortar stores.

Apple does not explain the long wait times and other power adapters, like 61W USB-C and 30W USB-C models, ship immediately, suggesting the issue does not involve the ongoing global chip shortage.

According to MacRumors, which spotted the supply inconsistency on Tuesday, one authorized reseller says its distributors don't have the part in stock.

The 96W USB-C power adapter has been available through Apple's online store since its introduction alongside the 16-inch MacBook Pro in 2019. Whether constrained supply points to the imminent release of a successor model is unclear, though Apple has in the past discontinued MacBook accessories as new equipment arrives.

Apple is anticipated to launch new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models this fall with a broad redesign that includes a Mini LED display, Apple Silicon chips, a wider variety of ports, physical function keys and more.

Reports earlier this month claimed Apple's new Mini LED MacBook Pros are on schedule for a fall debut, with a hardware announcement potentially slated for October.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hopefully Apple can go Gallium Nitride (GaN) on the high end pro model power adapters. 
    chiasphericnadriel
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Would it kill them to make the USB-c bricks with more than one socket. 2 ports and ethernet would be grand. 
    nadrielStrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mattinoz said:
    Would it kill them to make the USB-c bricks with more than one socket. 2 ports and ethernet would be grand. 
    I really wouldn’t be spending a grand on a power supply!
    Fidonet127mwhitepscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 8
    If the rumors and patents are to be believed, the new MBPs will have MagSafe 4 or whatever, but I assume that'd be a cable with USB-C on one end and MagSafe on the other. They just sell the power bricks bare and the cable separate now, so I guess that could make sense for a new brick model that works with the new ones as well as replacements for the outgoing 16".

If that's what's happening, maybe they manufactured so many more of the 61W bricks for the outgoing 13" that they still have a pile in inventory? Or will still sell a low end 13" MBP with the old bricks for a while.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Hopefully Apple can go Gallium Nitride (GaN) on the high end pro model power adapters. 
    tbh i'd prefer they didn't add any cables nor chargers or put more sane options for nowadays - 10ft cables, multiport chargers. otherwise it's a waste.
    williamlondonpscooter63nadriel
  • Reply 6 of 8
    This doesn't really correlate to the upgraded 16" laptop and is likely due to the chip shortage. Reason being is that Apple will most certainly continue to produce and sell this old adapter for a while.
    mknelson
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tbh i'd prefer they didn't add any cables nor chargers or put more sane options for nowadays - 10ft cables, multiport chargers. otherwise it's a waste.
    GaN chargers (adapters) seem very nice, something I've missed entirely and had to google. Like the Hyper Juice one that has 2x100W USBC and 2x18W USBA charging ports. And is smaller than the 61W Apple charger, and boasting higher efficiency.

Yeah, I just wish Apple would go multi-port, at least with the bigger chargers that are for Macs. I do have the travel kit for my apple adapter so I hope they keep the wall plug connectors as is in the future..
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cpenzone said:
    This doesn't really correlate to the upgraded 16" laptop and is likely due to the chip shortage. Reason being is that Apple will most certainly continue to produce and sell this old adapter for a while.
    Yup, they still sell the original MagSafe adapters on their online store too.