Apple cancels OLED display for 2022 iPad Air

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2021
Apple has reported cancelled a project with Samsung to develop an OLED display for the 2022 iPad Air, because of cost, brightness, and durability problems.

iPad Pro

Apple was previously reported to be planning an iPad Air update with OLED screens for 2022, with the iPad Pro getting it in 2023. Now it's claimed that at least the iPad Air date is in doubt, as Apple is not satisfied with Samsung's progress in developing the screen.

According to The Elec, Apple has called off the Samsung project. Unnamed sources told the publication that the reason is to do with how Samsung was aiming to produce a single-stack OLED panel, where Apple wants a two-stack tandem structure.

From Apple's perspective, a single-stack is not bright enough, and it also may not have a sufficient lifespan for how long people tend to hold on to their iPads. A two-stack system, by comparison, doubles the possible brightness.

It's not known what lifespan a single stack OLED panel would be expected to get, but the sources say a two-stack system extends the lifespan by up to four times.

From Samsung's perspective, the costs of a two-stack system are reportedly not viable unless the iPad Air would be sold for a long time.

The OLED iPad Pro models may yet be released in 2023 as expected. According to The Elec, the OLED technology planned for those models was already different to that intended for the iPad Air.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Interesting, I thought the Micro-LED offered better overall peak brightness and much longer lifespan of pixel durability. That 13” iPad Pro’s screen is amazing. Next to an OLED iPhone, it looks brighter, more vibrant.
  • Reply 2 of 11
     I would guess the OLED higher cost and diminishing advantages of the current mini-LED panels and future micro LED panels has a big reason for this ending.  
  • Reply 3 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    AniMill said:
    Interesting, I thought the Micro-LED offered better overall peak brightness and much longer lifespan of pixel durability. That 13” iPad Pro’s screen is amazing. Next to an OLED iPhone, it looks brighter, more vibrant.
    That plus the higher cost, which has not come down as predicted is, I suspect, making Apple and others reconsider using OLED more widely. 
    command_f
  • Reply 4 of 11
    It's things like this that really annoy me. I didn't even know there was a single vs. double stack.

It's these lack of details that help stoke the Apple is too expensive FUD and my Samsung tablet has OLED and is way cheaper.

Really wish Apple or the reviewer (if they knew) would help educate the consumers on these differences.
    thtcommand_f
  • Reply 5 of 11
    DAalseth said:
    AniMill said:
    That plus the higher cost, which has not come down as predicted is, I suspect, making Apple and others reconsider using OLED more widely. 
    iPad Pro uses mini-LED.

My guess is that Apple is experimenting with mini-LED in preparation for micro-LED and any use of OLED is a stopgap while they work on micro-LED.
    command_f
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ciacia Posts: 253member
    AniMill said:
    You’re thinking of mini-LED, which is used in the current iPad Pro 12.9” for local dimming backlighting only.  Micro LED is the next step after, where each pixel is it’s own colored LED.  Those micro LED’s are still a few years out but are super promising. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    omasou said:
    DAalseth said:
    AniMill said:
    iPad Pro uses mini-LED.

My guess is that Apple is experimenting with mini-LED in preparation for micro-LED and any use of OLED is a stopgap while they work on micro-LED.
    I’ve been thinking the same thing. Mini and Micro LED are the future and OLED is going to be looked back on as an interesting experiment that didn’t pay off. 
    command_f
  • Reply 8 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    This would seem to be really old news, and the "partnership" between Apple and Samsung never got beyond negotiation stage? iPad Air probably gets updated in Spring of 2022, with a Center Stage camera, A15, and maybe 6 GB of RAM. Something like that. You have to go back a year or so for when Apple froze the 2022 iPad Air's hardware. So the cancellation of this thing probably happened 6 to 10 months ago.

So, the OLED rumors may have stemmed from this negotiation, not real prototype hardware.

My guess is still that miniLED will have a 3 to 4 year run in Apple products. The MBP14/16 will be miniLED for late this fall. The iPad Pro 11 will be miniLED in 2022. Then, the "affordable" Apple monitor probably will be miniLED. It will then waterfall down to MBA with a miniLED in 2022 or 2023. A second gen miniLED panel with say 40k LEDs and 8000 zones may nick at blooming issues enough that it won't really be a problem for 99% of the use cases.
    command_fFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 11
    DAalseth said:
    omasou said:
    DAalseth said:
    AniMill said:
    iPad Pro uses mini-LED.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Mini and Micro LED are the future and OLED is going to be looked back on as an interesting experiment that didn’t pay off. 
    Exactly, OLED will be looked back as an improvement over of plasma. :)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    omasou said:
    DAalseth said:
    omasou said:
    DAalseth said:
    AniMill said:
    iPad Pro uses mini-LED.

Still rocking my plasma and hopefully will continue to use it until the next big thing finally arrives.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    omasou said:
    DAalseth said:
    omasou said:
    DAalseth said:
    AniMill said:
    iPad Pro uses mini-LED.

Still rocking my plasma and hopefully will continue to use it until the next big thing finally arrives.
    As someone who was doing the same until late last year, my 65" 4K LG OLED is miles better. :)
    muthuk_vanalingam