Apple releases redesigned Safari 15 with Tab Groups, better performance

Posted:
in macOS
On Monday, Apple released Safari 15, bringing new macOS Monterey features and design changes to current versions of Apple's Mac operating systems.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Safari 15 update can be installed on Macs running macOS Big Sur or macOS Catalina. It introduces faster performance, improved security, and several new features that will debut on macOS Monterey when it's released later in 2021.

The updates include Tab Groups, which lets users save and organize tabs into specific groups. Apple has also redesigned tabs to be rounder and more defined, and to take on the color of the webpage a user is currently on.

Safari 15 also introduces the option to switch to a "compact tab bar," which shows more of the webpage on a screen. This specific tab design was supposed to be the default, but proved confusing and controversial for some users. In Safari 15, it's still an option.

Additionally, the new version of Safari will also automatically switch sites from the less-secure HTTP to HTTPS whenever possible.

Users can download Safari 15 by heading to System Preferences and selecting Software Update. The update is relatively small, and doesn't require a restart.

It isn't clear when Apple will release macOS Monterey to the public, though it could debut the software update after a Mac-focused event unveiling 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models later in 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Seems snappier!  :D
    harmsway
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Love the new changes, although watch out on some websites. Safari's adopting of the color of website to be used on the tab bar and toolbar makes for a very loud (brightly colored) experience. The BBC's website, for example, is one very red surfing experience.  :D
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Love the new changes, although watch out on some websites. Safari's adopting of the color of website to be used on the tab bar and toolbar makes for a very loud (brightly colored) experience. The BBC's website, for example, is one very red surfing experience.  :D
     I agree. I have BBC News as my homepage

First thing I turned off. Far too bright 

williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    stuartf said:
     I agree. I have BBC News as my homepage

First thing I turned off. Far too bright 

How do you tun off the feature of the tool bar adopting website color? 

williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Yes, how do you turn off the feature of toolbar, tab bar, and favourites bar adopting the website color? I looked everywhere in preferences and menus. Found no way to turn it off.

I can live with the new tab layout, chose the compact layout, but the constant change in appearance of toolbar and favourites bar with its associated menus is disorienting. I hate it.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Ah, found it: Preferences > Tabs > Show colour in tab bar.

williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I noticed that Appleinsier is taking over 1GB of RAM in Safari. It's not acceptable. It's not just Appleinsider, other websites are taking way too much RAM.  I suspect it's due to Javascript abuse in many scripts - taking all the RAM it "needs" to run. Facebook doesn't even hog that much ram despite being all JS. 

And I really hate the "tabs" - the active "tab" is "dimmed" which is awkward as it makes me think it's behind the page. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 12

‼️Apple Has DESTROYED Safari with the Release of Version 15‼️

Safari 15.0 ➙ Safari 8.0.8 (The last version without pinned tabs)

The addition of Apple's current implementation of Tab Groups AND the removal of Pinned Tabs has made me seriously consider looking for a new default browser! 

WHY?? You May Ask...

I'm sure mine is not a common use case.  Perhaps it's my combination of ADD + OCD + being on the Asperger's spectrum that results in my following usage pattern:
    • I do tons of research throughout my days.
    • It is not uncommon for me to end up at the end of a busy week with a dozen or more Safari Windows open ... each window with dozens (or more) of tabs.
    • Most of these I will need to reference again (The junk ones I have already closed).

SAFARI 14 — The Way It Was...

• I could always open a CLEAN NEW WINDOW and have my KEY Work & School Sites PINNED there, ready for me to access.
    • I would regularly use the "Merge All Windows" command to gather up to 200 tabs into a single window.
    • I would then right-click on any tab and select "Arrange Tabs By ➙ Website"
    • Then I would use "Add Bookmarks for These xxx Tabs..." to save them for the future
    • Then I start over again!

SAFARI 15 — The Way It Is (Unacceptable)...

• I start Fresh with my Work or School Tab Group.
    • I check my basic tasks ... IN one of those Tab Groups, which launches me down a research path resulting in dozens of new tabs ALL ADDED TO MY TAB GROUP‼️
    • ‼️I DON'T WANT ALL THOSE NEW RESEARCH TABS ADDED TO MY TAB GROUP‼️
    • ‼️AND "Merge All Windows" no longer MERGES ALL WINDOWS (It won't touch any of the dozens of unwanted (in this Tab Group) tabs in my Tab Group)‼️

THE RESULT

• I can no longer open a fresh, clean window and have my pinned tabs ready to go.
    • IF I use Tab Groups, I can no longer Merge All Windows to get a fresh start.
    • Apple has essentially reverted from Safari 14 all the way back to Safar 8.0.8
    • This is not acceptable.

• Reply 9 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I tried Tab Groups, now I just want to remove the feature entirely.  What a waste of time and space.
  • Reply 10 of 12

‼️Apple Has DESTROYED Safari with the Release of Version 15‼️

Safari 15.0 ➙ Safari 8.0.8 (The last version without pinned tabs)

The addition of Apple's current implementation of Tab Groups AND the removal of Pinned Tabs has made me seriously consider looking for a new default browser! 

WHY?? You May Ask...

I'm sure mine is not a common use case.  Perhaps it's my combination of ADD + OCD + being on the Asperger's spectrum that results in my following usage pattern:
    • I do tons of research throughout my days.
    • It is not uncommon for me to end up at the end of a busy week with a dozen or more Safari Windows open ... each window with dozens (or more) of tabs.
    • Most of these I will need to reference again (The junk ones I have already closed).

SAFARI 14 — The Way It Was...

• I could always open a CLEAN NEW WINDOW and have my KEY Work & School Sites PINNED there, ready for me to access.
    • I would regularly use the "Merge All Windows" command to gather up to 200 tabs into a single window.
    • I would then right-click on any tab and select "Arrange Tabs By ➙ Website"
    • Then I would use "Add Bookmarks for These xxx Tabs..." to save them for the future
    • Then I start over again!

SAFARI 15 — The Way It Is (Unacceptable)...

• I start Fresh with my Work or School Tab Group.
    • I check my basic tasks ... IN one of those Tab Groups, which launches me down a research path resulting in dozens of new tabs ALL ADDED TO MY TAB GROUP‼️
    • ‼️I DON'T WANT ALL THOSE NEW RESEARCH TABS ADDED TO MY TAB GROUP‼️
    • ‼️AND "Merge All Windows" no longer MERGES ALL WINDOWS (It won't touch any of the dozens of unwanted (in this Tab Group) tabs in my Tab Group)‼️

THE RESULT

• I can no longer open a fresh, clean window and have my pinned tabs ready to go.
    • IF I use Tab Groups, I can no longer Merge All Windows to get a fresh start.
    • Apple has essentially reverted from Safari 14 all the way back to Safar 8.0.8
    • This is not acceptable.

Go away.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The new tab bar is rubbish. i never use tabs but now i have a cluttered url entry form where you get lost every time...

Back to good old Firefox.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I have a problem with Safari browser. I use Safari watching Youtube videos. Some videos are over one hour long. After watching them a few times, the MacBook Pro screen will start flickering. I tried many methods to fix it. The only way that may fix is by shut down and re-login. I believe this is a bug. 
    williamlondon