Compared: iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2022
This year, perhaps more than any other year, there are significant differences between the mass-market iPhone 13 and the high-end iPhone 13 Pro. Here are all the differences between the pair.

iPhone 13 Pro (left) versus iPhone 13 (right)
iPhone 13 Pro (left) versus iPhone 13 (right)

Design and size

Looking at the design, the two models of phones are almost indiscernible from one another.

For the iPhone 13, Apple is still employing an aluminum body whereas the iPhone 13 Pro has a stainless steel chassis. The colors for iPhone 13 are Starlight, Midnight, blue, pink, and (PRODUCT)Red, and iPhone 13 Pro comes in silver, graphite, gold, and Sierra Blue.

Since iPhone 13 Pro does use stainless steel, it makes it a bit heavier than the iPhone 13. We're talking about 204 grams versus only 174.

Stainless steel versus aluminum materials
Stainless steel versus aluminum body

All buttons and ports are the same between the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro, including the volume buttons, mute toggle, side button, speakers, and Lightning port. One minor difference is the SIM card tray is slightly lower on the iPhone 13 than the iPhone 13 Pro.

Trying to put an iPhone 13 case on the iPhone 13 Pro
Trying to put an iPhone 13 case on the iPhone 13 Pro

It's important to note that unlike the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro that could share the same size case, iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro cannot due to the drastic difference in the camera module.

Displays on the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro
Displays on the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro

Both models sport 6.1-inch OLED displays. Each is a Super Retina XDR display with rounded corners, a 460 PPI pixel density, and a 2,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio. The iPhone 13 Pro is a ProMotion display that can intelligently ramp up its refresh rate to 120Hz -- which the iPhone 13 lacks.

Apple's iPhone 13 Pro is also capable of higher brightness, reaching around 1000 nits typical brightness outdoors versus only 800 nits on the iPhone 13.

iPHone 13 versus iPhone 13 Pro: On the inside

iPhone 13iPhone 13 Pro
Price (Starting)$799$999
Dimensions (Inches)5.78 x 2.82 x 0.305.78 x 2.82 x 0.30
Weight (Ounces)6.147.19
ProcessorA15 BionicA15 Bionic
Storage128GB, 256GB, 512GB128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB
Display6.1-inch Super Retina XDR6.1-inch Super Retina XDR with ProMotion
Resolution2,778 x 1,128, 458PPI2,778 x 1,128, 458PPI
BiometricsFace IDFace ID
Rear Cameras12MP Ultra-Wide
12MP Wide
12MP Ultra-Wide
12MP Wide
12MP Telephoto
Video4K 60FPS, 4K 60FPS HDR with Dolby Vision, 240FPS Slo-Mo, Pro, Cinematic Mode4K 60FPS, 4K 60FPS HDR with Dolby Vision, 240FPS Slo-Mo, ProRes 4K 30FPS, Cinematic Mode
Front Camera12MP TrueDepth12MP TrueDepth
Battery Life (VIdeo playback time)Up to 19 hoursUp to 22 hours
PortLightningLightning
ColorsStarlight, Midnight, Blue, Pink, (PRODUCT)RedGraphite, Silver, Gold, Sierra Blue
Within each of the two phones is Apple's all-new A15 Bionic processor. Each contains the same CPU sporting two high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores. But, the iPhone 13 Pro has a five-core GPU, and iPhone 13 only has a four-core GPU.

That gives iPhone 13 Pro improved performance on graphics-related tasks and running the new ProMotion display.

Geekbench graphics results on iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro
Geekbench graphics results on iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro

Each phone is available in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB capacities but iPhone 13 Pro buyers have an additional 1TB option to consider.

For battery life, iPhone 13 Pro wins out. Apple rates it at up to 22 hours of video playback versus only 19 hours for the iPhone 13.

iPhone 13 versus iPhone 13 Pro: Cameras

Cameras are the greatest point of differentiation between the two models and will likely matter most to prospective buyers.

Rear cameras on the latest iPhones
Rear cameras on the latest iPhones

On the iPhone 13, there is a wide-angle lens and an ultra-wide-angle lens. The iPhone 13 Pro has a wide-angle lens, an ultra-wide-angle lens, a tele lens, and a LiDAR Scanner.

Even though they both have wide and ultra-wide lenses, the "pro" versions are more capable. Apple gave the iPhone 13 Pro an f/1.5 aperture for the wide and the iPhone 13 an f/1.6. The ultra-wide has a fast f/1.8 on the iPhone 13 Pro and an f/2.4 on the iPhone 13.

Tele lens on iPhone 13 Pro versus iPhone 13
Tele lens on iPhone 13 Pro versus iPhone 13

A wider aperture allows more light to hit the sensor, resulting in a faster shutter, less noise in low light, and more natural background bokeh.

The iPhone 13 lacks any optical tele lens and has a maximum of 5X digital zoom. In contrast, the iPhone 13 Pro has a 3X telephoto lens and a maximum of 15X digital zoom.

Other pro features include Deep Fusion support on the ultra-wide lens, support for Apple ProRAW, and Night Mode portraits.

Photographic styles
Photographic styles

Shared features include Portrait Mode, Deep Fusion, Night Mode, Smart HDR 4, and photographic styles.

Both devices also can shoot Cinematic video, 4K video at 60 frames per second, HDR Dolby Vision content, though only the iPhone 13 Pro can shoot in Apple ProRes, which will be coming in a future update.

Front facing cameras on iPhone 13 Pro
Front-facing cameras on iPhone 13 Pro

The front-facing camera has the same 12MP camera with an f/2.2 aperture, support Smart HDR 4, and photographic styles. Again though can only shoot in ProRes -- at least when available.

Where to buy

Apple's iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro are available at Amazon and Expercom, along with wireless carriers, including AT&T and Verizon.

If you're ready to pick up an iPhone 13 or iPhone 13 Pro, retail prices start at $799, but the best iPhone deals regularly include wireless service discounts, trade-in promotions, and even free gift card offers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Also worth mentioning the 13 Pro has 6GB RAM, vs 4GB on the 13
    rtalatipatchythepiratemontrosemacsdrdavidMplsP
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I realize the intent of this review was to go head to head with two similar models, however, I would have appreciated including the specifications and comparative points for the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Perhaps because that’s the one I’m buying. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I like to imagine that if I looked through the authors vacation photos, every picture would have his finger pointing at the object of the picture. “Pointing at Grand Canyon”, “pointing at Route 66 sign, “ pointing at ocean”. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I realize the intent of this review was to go head to head with two similar models, however, I would have appreciated including the specifications and comparative points for the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Perhaps because that’s the one I’m buying. 
    You can easily compare the 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max on the Apple website. The short version is that they are the same device, except one is bigger. There are some minor differences in the screen specs, because one screen is bigger, and in battery life, because one battery is bigger. 
    mchan1
  • Reply 5 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It's curious that the pro sports a longer battery life.  I wonder why that is?  What causes it?   A bigger battery?

Also, it's worth noting that the price differential effectively increased:   While they are still $200 apart in base price, the 13 increased from 64Gb in the iPhone 12 to 128Gb in the 13 (the same as the pro model).   So, for those who needed/wanted 128Gb, the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro were only priced $100 apart.

So, last year there seemed to be a preference for the Pro model that I suspect may subside this year as the differences may not be enough to lure buyers into an extra $200
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    It's curious that the pro sports a longer battery life.  I wonder why that is?  What causes it?   A bigger battery?
    I wondered the same thing, too. The 13 pro actually has a slightly smaller battery than the 13. I think it has to do with the extra core providing better graphics & screen-related power management. The battery tests are typically video-related, so if the 13 pro manages video better if would tend to be more obvious. The larger amount of RAM may play a roll, too. 
    GeorgeBMac