Apple-backed lobbying groups accused of fighting climate legislation

Posted:
in General Discussion
Watchdog claims unspecified groups, including some backed by Apple and Microsoft, are opposing President Biden's $3.5 trillion budget bill to combat climate change.

President Biden
President Biden

Non-partisan group Accountable.US says that the Democrats' bill is the target of corporate lobby groups and other organizations. According to The Guardian, these groups feature prominent US companies including Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and Disney.

"Major corporations love to tell us how committed they are to addressing the climate crisis and building a sustainable future," Accountable.US president Kyle Herrig told the newspaper, "but behind closed doors, they are funding the very industry trade groups that are fighting tooth and nail to stop the biggest climate change bill ever."

Accountable.US has separately reported on Apple profiting from tax breaks instigated by President Trump, and concluded that it is now lobbying to keep them.

Neither The Guardian, nor Accountable.US, have detailed Apple's active part in the lobby groups, nor established what those groups are, if there is a voting structure, or how the decision-making works for the lobbyist groups. Accountable.US has separately linked Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) to the US Chamber of Commerce PAC, but chiefly refers only to groups representing "corporate interests."

The Guardian says that one such group is the Business Roundtable. It notes that this organization is made up of company CEOs, including Apple's Tim Cook.

Apple has not commented on the report. It has recently, however, claimed that it hopes its environmental efforts will lead other firms to do the same.

"You need businesses that are proactive, that are continuing to push forward, and really view it as a priority," said Alisha Johnson, lead of Apple's Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, "not just as a PR statement, but in the execution of their work."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Neither The Guardian, nor Accountable.US, have detailed Apple's active part in the lobby groups, nor established what those groups are, if there is a voting structure, or how the decision-making works for the lobbyist groups

So a "watchdog" group that operates in the shadows, claims unspecified "lobbyist groups" that may or may not be backed by large corporations including Apple are pressuring Congress in some way. 

Uh...yeah.

The irony is the name of the "watchdog" is Accountable, when I see little evidence that they in fact are. Who are they? Who is paying their bills? Who do they work for? What is THEIR agenda?

Now I don't doubt that there are some groups trying to lobby Congress on this bill, both to strengthen it and weaken it. That's how this sort of thing works. But this smells more like a hatchet job from a group trying to make a name for themselves. Call me when someone I can trust, or at least that I've heard of, ever, issues a report with some actual evidence to back it up. 
    patchythepirateJWSCapplguyDogpersondocno42
  • Reply 2 of 25
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    They’re opposing the bill because it’s full of garbage. Besides, it’s not being called a climate change bill it’s being called an infrastructure bill, get the topic of the article correct. It doesn’t do what it claims it will and it’s far more than $3.5T at the end of the day. Good for them. A Libtard whoever Senator or whatever he is threw a page in that lays out groundwork for our government to bankrupt any business that doesn’t follow Biden’s vaccination mandate by fining any company $700,000/employee that’s not vaccinated. That’s asinine! How is this infrastructure? How does this help our “Roads and bridges”? I call good on them and I call BS on this pork filled bill. 
    libertyandfreeTheObannonFileJanNLFidonet127patchythepirateJWSCcat52toddzrxdocno42DoomFreak
  • Reply 3 of 25
    F_Kent_D said:
    They’re opposing the bill because it’s full of garbage. Besides, it’s not being called a climate change bill it’s being called an infrastructure bill, get the topic of the article correct. It doesn’t do what it claims it will and it’s far more than $3.5T at the end of the day. Good for them. A Libtard whoever Senator or whatever he is threw a page in that lays out groundwork for our government to bankrupt any business that doesn’t follow Biden’s vaccination mandate by fining any company $700,000/employee that’s not vaccinated. That’s asinine! How is this infrastructure? How does this help our “Roads and bridges”? I call good on them and I call BS on this pork filled bill. 
    Truth
    patchythepiratecat52DoomFreak
  • Reply 4 of 25
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Corporations usually put up a veneer of social responsibility that's highly visible, while in the background lobbying for all kinds of things that eclipse the public social responsibility plays. This applied to Apple, and it applies to its privacy marketing theme also. 
    elijahgcat52
  • Reply 5 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet another clickbait headline from AppleInsider. Read the article and the headline does not match the content. it’s all conclusions, allegations, hearsay. Bottom line? It’s a political attack carried out by climate change radicals, pure and simple.
    Fidonet127patchythepiratedocno42
  • Reply 6 of 25
    F_Kent_D said:
    They did get the topic of the article correct. The article was about the climate change aspect of the bill and a very big part of the bill does have to do with climate change. Obviously AppleInsider is going to focus on the climate change part of the bill because Apple itself is focused on climate change. There is nothing wrong with this article. F Kent D however, is putting out misinformation. There is no requirement for all workers in every business to get vaccinated as you have implied. The federal requirement is for government workers and government contractors and all medical facilities that take Medicare and Medicaid. And with all businesses that employ over a hundred people, you have the option to not be vaccinated and just be tested instead. So you are way over exaggerating the situation. Plus you are also conflating the vaccine mandate with the reconciliation bill. Those are two completely separate things. Plus you are also conflating the reconciliation bill with the infrastructure bill. Those are also two separate bills.
    AI_liassailorpaulthtAlex_VelijahgDogperson
  • Reply 7 of 25
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    DAalseth said:

The irony is the name of the "watchdog" is Accountable, when I see little evidence that they in fact are. Who are they? Who is paying their bills? Who do they work for? What is THEIR agenda?
    Did you check their website? It seems to contain most, if not all, of the information you've asked for.
    Alex_Vcat52
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Good, I hope it’s true. Anyone that has any sanity left should be opposed to this bill, for many reasons, climate nonsense being just one. Climate is purely a political issue and a way to manipulate economies. Even if you failed grade school science and somehow believe that extremely low levels of gaseous plant fertilizer is somehow bad for the planet, the political efforts to reduce CO2 do nothing. 
    cat52DoomFreak
  • Reply 9 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    The key aspect of opposition would be the partial reversal of the Trump corporate tax cuts included in the bill. C-suites have a fiduciary duty to fight against higher taxes.
    edited October 2021 patchythepiratecat52Dogperson
  • Reply 10 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cpsro said:
    The key aspect of opposition would be the partial reversal of the Trump corporate tax cuts included in the bill. C-suites have a fiduciary duty to fight against higher taxes.
    No they don't.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 11 of 25
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    ...if Mr. Cook genuinely cared about climate change why would he purchase a ten thousand square foot home, presumably for one person...?
    cat52DoomFreak
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 214member
    ...if Mr. Cook genuinely cared about climate change why would he purchase a ten thousand square foot home, presumably for one person...?

Whataboutism. 
    Dogperson
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Good, I hope it’s true. Anyone that has any sanity left should be opposed to this bill, for many reasons, climate nonsense being just one. Climate is purely a political issue and a way to manipulate economies. Even if you failed grade school science and somehow believe that extremely low levels of gaseous plant fertilizer is somehow bad for the planet, the political efforts to reduce CO2 do nothing. 

The graphic that you shared thoroughly undermines your comment. The scientific conclusions are clear, human-induced climate change will be devastating. 

And pray tell: just how do “they” manipulate economies? Did fossil fuels not forever alter economies? Or, are you a Saudi, desperately worried about the future of your despotic little petro-kingdom?
    thtelijahgDogperson
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Alex_V said:

Whataboutism. 
    Lol. I can't believe people actually think this is some sort of rebuttal. Embarrassing.
    Alex_V said:

The graphic that you shared thoroughly undermines your comment. The scientific conclusions are clear, human-induced climate change will be devastating. 

And pray tell: just how do “they” manipulate economies? Did fossil fuels not forever alter economies? Or, are you a Saudi, desperately worried about the future of your despotic little petro-kingdom?
    Huh? How does it undermine my comment??

Why are you putting "they" in quotes?

Fossil fuels alter economies tremendously, they've facilitated the growth of the modern age, brought nations out of poverty, saved countless lives by freeing up resources and manpower to study science, medicine, etc.

Am I a Saudi? Are you high?? Your responses to everything seem incredibly childish.
    edited October 2021 cat52docno42
  • Reply 15 of 25
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Alex_V said:

Whataboutism. 
    Lol. I can't believe people actually think this is some sort of rebuttal. Embarrassing.
    Alex_V said:

Fossil fuels alter economies tremendously, they've facilitated the growth of the modern age, brought nations out of poverty, saved countless lives by freeing up resources and manpower to study science, medicine, etc.

Am I a Saudi? Are you high?? Your responses to everything seem incredibly childish.
    Well, it was you who wrote "Climate is purely a political issue and a way to manipulate economies", effectively undermining anything else you might have to say. 
    Ecky-ThumpDogpersonavon b7
  • Reply 16 of 25
    IreneW said:
    Alex_V said:

Whataboutism. 
    Alex_V said:

Well, it was you who wrote "Climate is purely a political issue and a way to manipulate economies", effectively undermining anything else you might have to say. 
    Lol, because you say so?

Care to actually make a point, or are you satisfied with an empty snark comment? Nothing against snark, but you should be able to back it up.
    cat52
  • Reply 17 of 25
    "Climate is purely a political issue" "climate nonsense"

No, climate denial is political, climate science is 
    science.  Some people just can't handle the facts.
    thtAlex_VDogperson
  • Reply 18 of 25

Fossil fuels alter economies tremendously, they've facilitated the growth of the modern age, brought nations out of poverty, saved countless lives by freeing up resources and manpower to study science, medicine, etc.patchythepirate said:
    Alex_V said:

Whataboutism. 
    Alex_V said:

"Fossil fuels alter economies tremendously, they've facilitated the growth of the modern age, brought nations out of poverty, saved countless lives by freeing up resources and manpower to study science, medicine, etc."

Do you understand that both your statement and "
    fossil fuels are pumping heat-trapping gasses into the atmosphere causing global-warming" can both be correct?
    Alex_VDogperson
  • Reply 19 of 25

“American politics is a freak show.” Someone said to me. The worst of all late-capitalism scenarios. Hyper-capitalist state with two political parties at each other’s throats. Both utterly corrupt, one pot calling the other black. One side awash in disinformation and lies: pushing voter disenfranchisement (disgraceful); preposterous Q-anon kak; science denialism (denying climate science, medical science, biology and palaeontology (evolution), history (bible history, black history) etc. etc.); washed-up libertarianism (debunked economics-for-dummies); laughable exceptionalism. A fabulously-wealthy nation; half-a-million sleep on the street; one third lives paycheck-to-paycheck; terrible health care outcomes; blatant drug price gouging you can’t solve; virtual police state with the highest incarceration rate in the world; not to mention murderous cops. The solution? Cut taxes, make the wealthy wealthier—it’ll work, hand on heart! Conservative voters hate their own party so much that they voted for that dumbass. Is that representative politics?

The upshot of it all is that the rest of us have to suffer your idiotic “up-is-down,” “black-is-white,” “the-sun-rises-in-the-west” nonsense on internet forums like this one.

tht
  • Reply 20 of 25
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Alex_V said:

Whataboutism. 
    More like hypocrisy Alex. Pretty much a dictionary example of it.