Apple's Tim Cook to meet with EU competition chief while in New York

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2021
Apple CEO Tim Cook is in New York City on Friday, and during his trip, he will reportedly meet with Margrethe Vestager, the European Commissioner for Competition.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Vestager is currently in New York City for the United Nations General Assembly. She also recently gave a keynote address at the Fordham University's annual Conference on International Antitrust Law and Policy on Friday.

A source familiar with the meeting told MacRumors that it would take place, but it isn't clear what topics Cook and Vestager will discuss.

Back in April, the European Union said that Apple was in breach of competition laws. Specifically, the EU claimed that Apple Music was unfairly advantaged compared to other streaming services that must pay Apple's 30% commission.

The EU competition chief has previously called out Apple for alleged anticompetitive practices. Vestager has also criticized Apple defending its App Store practices with arguments that the company affords a higher level of security and privacy to its users.

Although the existence of the meeting between Cook and Vestager could not be independently confirmed, Cook was in New York on Friday. In fact, the CEO has been documenting his trip to New York on Twitter, highlighting a visit to the Apple SoHo retail location and the International Center of Photography, as well as a meeting with the founders of the Shine app.

Good morning Apple SoHo! Great to feel the excitement and energy, from team members and customers alike! pic.twitter.com/frOZVgvbMa

— Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Great catching up with @Naomi_NYC and @Marahml to hear about how they're using @TheShineApp to fight stigmas surrounding mental health issues. It's another powerful example of how technology can be used to help improve people's lives. pic.twitter.com/QQLn7Kq717

— Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lmasanti said:
    Why do not ask customers what they want?

We buy the cellphone. We choose either iPhone or other brand.
    When I put $1,000+ in a device, I —at least— do not want others —being lawyers or developers or ad sellers— devide to change the conditions why I bought the iPhone.

The FCC, FTC, lawmakers should make a poll to all customers. The telcos have all the names. The cell number will be used only to control that you emit only one note. Then, there will be questions about each OS. And Android user won't be able to answer over iOS, and viceversa.
    And use the poll to ask about privacy, tracking and, even, on-device CSAM checks.

Ask customers! Don't look to please voters!
    True, but we are not the ones paying the lawmakers bribes.
    Follow the HUGE amounts if money changing hands behind the curtain. 
    Face it- the war on the middle class is over and WE LOST. 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    lmasanti said:

When I put $1,000+ in a device, I —at least— do not want others —being lawyers or developers or ad sellers— devide to change the conditions why I bought the iPhone.

The FCC, FTC, lawmakers should make a poll to all customers. The telcos have all the names. The cell number will be used only to control that you emit only one note. Then, there will be questions about each OS. And Android user won't be able to answer over iOS, and viceversa.
    And use the poll to ask about privacy, tracking and, even, on-device CSAM checks.

Vestager’s only mandate from the EC and EU is to feed baby Ek and other EU companies that cannot keep up due to their own self-inflicted tax laws by creating fake outrage over non-issues 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    bshank said:
    lmasanti said:

Vestager’s only mandate from the EC and EU is to feed baby Ek and other EU companies that cannot keep up due to their own self-inflicted tax laws by creating fake outrage over non-issues 
    In that case, how is it that the EU is considered such a wonderful place to live? 

From a health and food safety perspective, all I ever see are lists of banned products popping up here but permitted in the US.

Heath care coverage seems to be league above that of the the general US population. 

Infrastructure (from high speed rail to communications) also seems to be in a different league. 

And in the case of the pure technology stakes there is a lot going on in Europe. Try eliminating ARM, ASML and the Nokia/Ericsson 5G tandem out of the world equation and how would US technology interests fare?

Now, let's throw in the EU processor initiative. 

I'm not seeing the EU failing to keep up. 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The EU is not interested in competition.  Observe what it does, not what it claims.

and no Avon, every time I think of Europe, I am glad my ancestors, like those of many others, had the vision and courage to risk all and emigrate to the colonies. Think about what that says about those who stayed behind.
    edited October 2021