Homebrew?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone homebrew?

I should be starting soon myself and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice.

Cheers,

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

Anyone homebrew?

I should be starting soon myself and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice.

Cheers,

Dan

i've done a little with my brother. he was really big into for a while until he got remaried. bitches man. my advice would be to read up on it and when your ready, get a starter kit. you don't need all the gear that they sell in the homebrew mags. mainly just a big assed pot and something to ferment your goop in. a 5 gallon glass water jug tends to work nice. you will also want some place that has a consitently cool tempeture, some where in your garage or celler, where the temp rarely changes more than a few degrees. some beers, like lagers, will demand a cooler temp, in which case, you'll probably need a dedicated fridge of some sort. but don't sweat that, you won't want to get that advanced right away. i'd start off with ales, they tend to be more forgiving and less fussy. it's fun stuff, but the bummer part is that you have to wait month before you get to taste your efforts. good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    spikespike Posts: 20member
    Don't be cheap when you buy a brewpot, if the metal is too thin you'll get hot spots on the bottom and burn your wort.

If you want to keep it simple for your first batch go with a pre-hopped kit, but if you want the best results skip the kits and use extract and hop pellets and steeped grain.

Get Papazian's book.

Sanitize everything.

Bottling takes forever. I use 22 oz bottles instead of 12 oz because I'm lazy.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by spike

Don't be cheap when you buy a brewpot, if the metal is too thin you'll get hot spots on the bottom and burn your wort.

If you want to keep it simple for your first batch go with a pre-hopped kit, but if you want the best results skip the kits and use extract and hop pellets and steeped grain.

Get Papazian's book.

Sanitize everything.

Bottling takes forever. I use 22 oz bottles instead of 12 oz because I'm lazy.

ditto on all, especially the sanitation. it's a real pisser to find out a month later that your beer has gone all to shit because something wasn't properly cleaned. good idea on using bigger bottles as well. bottling is one of the least fun aspects of the process (make sure you don't forget to sterilize them as well). now if you want to take the lazy factor up a couple of notches more, you can skip bottling all together and use mini kegs and C02. soda canisters work real nice and they will fit easily in most dedicated fridges. the extra bonus is it also allows you to blow off most of the sediment that clouds your typical homebrew, making it a bit more appealing to the masses.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    My neighbor has his own pub down in his basement. Its some pretty cool and interesting stuff. Good luck.