Facebook shows signs of life after hours-long outage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2021
Following a major outage that brought down Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp for nearly six hours on Monday, the social media giant's flagship services are lurching back to life.

Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger and Oculus VR all but disappeared from the internet at around 11:30 a.m. Eastern, due to what appears to be a misconfiguration of Facebook's servers. After nearly six hours of downtime, Facebook's services began to reappear for some users, though a full recovery is not expected for some time.

As detailed in a blog post from Cloudflare, the issue traces back to a Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) update that ran afoul, impacting traffic routing and resulting in Domain Name System (DNS) failures. BGP is a system used by networks to advertise their presence to other networks and route traffic accordingly. Without routing information announced by Facebook, DNS resolvers are unable to respond to queries for IP addresses like facebook.com and instagram.com.

A source who is reportedly working on the recovery effort told journalist Brian Krebs that the BGP update blocked remote access to Facebook's systems, meaning off-site technicians were unable to revert the change. Those who had physical access to the impacted systems were also unable to apply a fix because they lacked network access.

Compounding the problem, security engineers said they could not reach affected servers because their digital badges stopped working, reports The New York Times. Other employees reported Workplace, Facebook's internal communications platform, went offline with the wider outage.

An internal memo obtained by The Times reveals that Facebook sent a team of employees to its data center in Santa Clara, Calif., to attempt a "manual reset" of the servers. The effort apparently worked, as services are slowly coming back online.

Facebook has not elaborated on the matter, though executives have taken to other platforms, like Twitter, to apologize for the downtime.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    And for a brief moment, the world was a better place.
    napoleon_phoneapartchadbagn2itivguydewmebaconstangItsDeCiaelijahgfotoformatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people. (/s. for those who need an explanation)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Thank God. The world seemed a little more civil, and the people a little nicer, for awhile there. And I didn’t know how to feel about that since nobody was there to tell me. Phew…back to normal now. 
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Crqp…im expecting forever dead
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    So many unfinished arguments with strangers in the local news outlet comment threads!
    netroxdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I like defending unpopular points of view, so let me say that this is a terrible crime committed against a legal business, and the perpetrators should go to jail for 20 to life and not be heralded with awards and prize money.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Too good to be true.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I like defending unpopular points of view, so let me say that this is a terrible crime committed against a legal business, and the perpetrators should go to jail for 20 to life and not be heralded with awards and prize money.
    Who writes your material?
    elijahgfastasleepwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Aww.  I was hoping for a few years.  My wish wasn't granted.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    glennhglennh Posts: 72member
    Can you say possible destruction of evidence? 

How convenient that Facebook goes down the day after a whistle blower goes on 60 Minutes and the day before she is scheduled to be grilled by Congress on the very same practices she exposed to the public via the press, TV and the release of FaceBook internal documents. 

What the old saying “the day after 60 Minutes or the Washington Post exposes you, you can expect someone in your exposed company to be handcuffed and doing the ‘prep’ walk in front of the camera in short order”. 

Good luck ‘FaceCrook’! I don’t think we lost the data in the server reset is going to be a possible excuse this time! Someone going to spend time with their new friends in the real BIG HOUSE….. 
    watto_cobra