Users complain of iPad mini 6 screen distortions

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2021
A growing number of iPad mini 6 users are reporting screen distortions that appear when pressure is applied to the display, suggesting internal hardware is pressing against the panel.

iPad mini 6 Display
Source: Reddit user "cohaolain"

According to a Reddit thread posted Tuesday, a number of users are experiencing what is described as screen discoloration and distortion issues on their new iPad mini devices.

Bright or discolored spots appear at specific points on the panel when pressure is applied to iPad mini's screen, with the effect becoming more pronounced when the tablet is displaying dark images or operating in Dark Mode, according to owners. For example, user "Aromatic-Coat5459" in the original Reddit post notes three spots that form along the top portion of the panel when the tablet is in portrait orientation. Other users have seen similar distortions at other points including a position just above the USB-C port.

Multiple users are reporting identical experiences, with some claiming the artifacts also appear on replaced devices and units on display at Apple Stores. "Aromatic-Coat5459" theorizes that the perceived problem can be traced back to iPad mini's design and is related to clearance between the screen and underlying components.

On a basic level, modern LCD screens are transmissive light systems that consist of liquid crystals suspended between substrates of polarized glass or film. When electric current is applied to the material it aligns (or more accurately, the liquid crystals shift orientation) to allow light from a backlight to pass through the substrate. Images are formed by carefully controlling light transmission through tens of thousands of pixels.

While fairly robust, LCD panel structures are vulnerable to mechanical interruption, such as pressing on the substrate with any amount of force. Applying direct pressure to the display can shift the liquid crystals and their respective alignment within individual pixels, disrupting the delicate balance that allows for uniform transmission of light. This results in distortions, discoloration, ripples and other effects.

While not confirmed, the gap between iPad mini's LCD panel and its internal hardware might so narrow that gentle presses cause parts to come into contact with the back of the display. Display stack rigidity might also be a factor. The reported "hot spots" roughly align with the location of sharp edges on connectors and other raised parts as revealed in iFixit's recent teardown of the device.

Some Redditors have called for a recall, though that scenario is unlikely considering the behavior does not negatively impact daily usage and can be considered normal.

Apple has not commented on the matter. 9to5Mac reported on the Reddit thread earlier today.

Today's complaints arrive a little over a week after users noted iPad mini's LCD suffers from a so-called "jelly scroll" effect that occurs because sections of the display refresh sequentially. Apple responded by saying the behavior is normal for LCD screens, which update onscreen images line by line.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    This is definitely not acceptable, especially when you use it for writing/drawing. It would bother the hell out of me. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I thought it was going to be some idiot poking the screen hard, but from the video above it seems a fairly light press does it. That's not ok.
    command_f
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Your are pressing it wrong…..hehehehe “sarcasm”
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Let’s see: no, doesn’t happen with mine. 
    iOS_Guy80williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Should I cancel my mini order? Sigh. 
    command_f
  • Reply 6 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That video looked pretty bad. 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    viclauyyc said:
    Upgraded from generation 5 to the new iPad mini on launch day. It keeps impressing me with how fast USB-C charges the iPad, fingerprint ID on the on/off button is so responsive to touch and the overall speed performance with the A-15 ship is unbelievably fast. A superb device. No problems 🤞.
    ikirGeorgeBMacwilliamlondoncommand_fviclauyyc
  • Reply 8 of 15
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Weirdly I had this issue when I first had the mini ー something went wrong as I was installing my cloud data and thought the mini actually crashed.  It was during this time that I noticed pressing the screen even lightly produced marks in other places of the screen.   However since rebooting it and loading my data it hasn’t happened since.   

Jelly scrolling is there ….it’s not a deal breaker but it’s not the best that you’d expect of this new design…
    GeorgeBMaccommand_f
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I have a bright spot visual artifact as described in this article on my first generation iPad Pro 12.9”. At first I thought it was a smear on the screen because it would disappear when I wiped the spot with a microfiber cloth. However it would reappear later. It’s most noticeable but still subtle with a full white background and indiscernible with darker backgrounds. 

If these display artifacts bother you and your product is still under warranty you should bring it into Apple for service or replacement. The issue on my iPad Pro doesn’t bother me and I haven’t seen anything on my new Mini that warrants attention, at least not yet. If it does show up I’ll definitely book an appointment at the Genius Bar. 

Buying any first generation product or first release of a major redesign always involves a degree of risk that something about the product wasn’t caught before release. I’m a sucker for these early adopter scenarios because the first release or major redesign is usually a big step change and the most impressive. But it’s also the least refined version of the product iteration at any  point in its lifecycle. Oh well. 

command_f
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Which happens with every iPad if you press strongly.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    viclauyyc said:

NOPE, just enjoy it and don't listen to paranoia or Samsung propaganda.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 12 of 15
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Just make sure you paid extra for AppleCare+ insurance in case it and other design or manufacturing flaws show up. That way you can always get a free repair or replacement.
    edited October 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Just make sure you paid extra for AppleCare+ insurance in case it and other design or manufacturing flaws show up. That way you can always get a free repair or replacement.

Or, if you drop it -- or something in it wears out after, say 4-5 years.
    There's a lot more to Applecare+ than warranty for defective parts. 

My policy is to get AppleCare+ on every Apple product before it leaves the store (or the seller if bought online).
    I've read too many stories here about people walking out of the store and dropping their brand new iPhone.
    ...  I know I'm a clutz and the only luck I have is bad luck.  But, with AppleCare+ I'm covered.
    command_fviclauyyc
  • Reply 14 of 15
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Upgraded from generation 5 to the new iPad mini on launch day. It keeps impressing me with how fast USB-C charges the iPad, fingerprint ID on the on/off button is so responsive to touch and the overall speed performance with the A-15 ship is unbelievably fast. A superb device. No problems 🤞.
    Same here!
    command_f