'Ted Lasso' pays over $650,000 for rights to use UK football logos, trophy

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ hit comedy "Ted Lasso" is set in a UK football club, and Apple has had to pay the country's Premiere League heavily for the rights to do that.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

AFC Richmond is a fictional football team in "Ted Lasso," but everything about it is as accurate as it can be. So the team competes in the UK's Championship League, it regularly refers to genuine competitors -- and the show has even had to send biscuits to those real teams.

Now it's been revealed that the cost of getting the rights to this authenticity was around 500,000 -- or $677,150.85. According to The Atlantic, that's what Apple TV+ and the makers of the show have had to pay the UK's Premier League.

The structure of the deal is not known, but it's unlikely to come with any time constraints. "Ted Lasso" is still expected to conclude with a third season, but Apple will presumably want to keep it available on Apple TV+ forever, so the rights are likely to be a one-time buy-out rather than a repeating royalty.

Whatever the format of the payment, what it gives "Ted Lasso" is comprehensive permission to use UK football designs and paraphernalia. This is how the series is able to use archive footage when it chooses, plus adopt the league's actual logos, and club kits.

Reportedly, the series also has the rights to use the League trophy.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Reportedly, the series also has the rights to use the League trophy. 
    So this suggests that Ted's team will actually win the trophy in the final season, sweeping the Premiere League as they just swept the Emmys.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I know my opinion is not going to be popular, buy IMO this season was stupid, it jumped the shark for me on Beards night out, Sams relationship with his boss, etc. I am done. Maybe I will be back for season 3, but this is nothing magical as season 1 was.  

- Edit - Spelling

edited October 2021
  • Reply 3 of 8
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I wonder how much they paid Gary Lineker?  ;)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I know my opinion is not going to be popular, buy IMO this season was stupid, it jumped the shark for me on Beards night out, Sams relationship with his boss, etc. I am done. Maybe I will be back for season 3, but this is nothing magical as season 1 was.  

- Edit - Spelling

I love both seasons' shows so far, but I agree on the 'Beard's night out' episode. I thought that was dreadful. Along with the three morons in the pub, his character has always seemed like a waste of space to me. 
    holmstockdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    In defense of Ted Lasso Season 2:

Apple ordered 2 more episodes for Season 2, and the challenge was to create two episodes which didn’t alter or complicate the timeline established by the interconnected 10 episodes which had been written and largely shot. 

The first of the 2 extras was the Christmas episode, which plays off the tradition of many British TV shows to create standalone Christmas shows. 

The second of the “extra” shows was “Beard After Hours”. The story was a homage to the mid-80s Scorsese film, “After Hours”. Like the episode of “Lasso”, the film covers a single late-night of a young man, who is working through personal crisis, and finds himself in a series of weirder and weirder situations as he tries to go home. 

I confess I liked the show’s ability to lean into the surrealistic, shaggy-dog story, but I recognize also it was kind of a limited edition episode, which—by design—didn’t add anything to the season storyline. 
    ilarynxavon b7tmay
  • Reply 6 of 8
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,683member
    In defense of Ted Lasso Season 2:

Apple ordered 2 more episodes for Season 2, and the challenge was to create two episodes which didn’t alter or complicate the timeline established by the interconnected 10 episodes which had been written and largely shot. 

The first of the 2 extras was the Christmas episode, which plays off the tradition of many British TV shows to create standalone Christmas shows. 

The second of the “extra” shows was “Beard After Hours”. The story was a homage to the mid-80s Scorsese film, “After Hours”. Like the episode of “Lasso”, the film covers a single late-night of a young man, who is working through personal crisis, and finds himself in a series of weirder and weirder situations as he tries to go home. 

I confess I liked the show’s ability to lean into the surrealistic, shaggy-dog story, but I recognize also it was kind of a limited edition episode, which—by design—didn’t add anything to the season storyline. 
    Good points. 

I think that episode will go down as a big mistake despite its objectives. The Christmas episode was a lot of fun, though. 

Short seasons don't really play well with wacky, off tangent episodes. If each season ran for twenty plus episodes I think viewers would have been more forgiving.

The Beard one reminded me of the X-files Cops episode which didn't fit with the series either. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 217member
    UK football club? Championship League? 500,000? 

Good effort, old boy 😀

In football, it’s England not UK. I don’t watch the show, so I guess it takes place in the Championship. You’ll find the pound £ sign here: Option-3. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Alex_V said:
    UK football club? Championship League? 500,000? 

Good effort, old boy 😀

In football, it’s England not UK. I don’t watch the show, so I guess it takes place in the Championship. You’ll find the pound £ sign here: Option-3. 
    Don't overlook "Premiere League"

"UK's Championship League" :smiley: 
    A million scotsmen just hit the roof, and a whole load of englishmen too, though for different reasons.