Apple wants to expand CarPlay to control more features of your car

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple wants to gain control over more of the features of your car, and is looking at ways to use the CarPlay system to control seating, environmental systems, and the radio itself.

CarPlay in iOS 15
CarPlay in iOS 15

The initiative, reportedly called "IronHeart," appears to be an attempt to unify remote control of car features into CarPlay. It's not clear how far along the effort is, nor if it will ever see the light of day.

The report, published by Bloomberg on Thursday, says that the initiative could be used for seat positioning, surround sound system adjustment, fans, defrosters, and inside temperature display and control. Reportedly, Apple wants access to the speedometer, fuel levels, and the tachometer as well.

Third-party applications exist now for many of the features, but where they exist, they are developed by the car manufacturer itself.

The report cautions that the effort is only in its early stages. There is at present no unified standard for remote control of environmental systems or seat controls. The effort will require the carmakers to work with Apple, and they have historically been reticent to do so.

CarPlay itself is still typically limited to the higher-end of any given manufacturer's car line. It's also not clear how much inroads third-party infotainment system replacements with CarPlay have made, or how much the features are being used.

In iOS 15, Apple expanded CarKey to utilize Apple's ultra-wideband U1 chip found on recent devices. Coming soon to iOS 15 is Siri announcing messages as they arrive, a revamped Maps experience, and more.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    I have to disagree about Car Play being available to higher end cars. In my experience, Car Play has been available in most cars, especially if they are new. 
    davgregretrogustollamaScot1StrangeDaysravnorodomMplsPdk49entropysPetrolDave
  • Reply 2 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    But Apple would need the cooperation of the auto manufacturers to do this, right?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Ya. Why all NEW cars are not equipped with CarPlay, Digital Key and Two main safety features like front collision radar/camera and backup sensors/camera; than at additional cost blind spot and lane assist. And allow to display front camera while parking so you don't hit and backup camera to display back while driving.
    edited October 2021 gmikesellwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I had CarPlay as standard on my 2016 VW Golf S. And my 2019 VW Golf Alltrack and my 2021 Subaru Outback.

It is hardly a “premium” feature unless you are getting ripped off by GM, Toyota or BMW. GM charges for CarPlay on Crapillacs, but when you are selling Chevy Trucks as a luxury vehicle  you are not dealing with the brightest of customers.

If the car you are buying charges for CarPlay you are dealing with the wrong car company.
    gmikesellwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    We'll have to see what they come up with. I think touch screens require more of the driver's attention, for example, for changing AC/climate settings than simple dials and buttons as currently used. It will have to really well thought out to avoid an increase in driver distraction.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member

Some companies charge for it because the sheeple tolerate it.
    BMW charges you after a couple of years for it, many Government Motors models sell it as part of a package. Toyota/Lexus also charge or have in the past.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    For $200 you can get a third-party Carplay radio. I have a Sony in my 1999 Mazda and it works great. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    lkrupp said:
    But Apple would need the cooperation of the auto manufacturers to do this, right?
    In fact  has been trying for years and years to get deeper integration with car mgt. and navigation - to no avail.
    Car manufacturerers are doing their utmost to keep them out of the driving seat and offer their own, more sophisticted and integrated solutions
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Neither of the vehicles I own have it, but I've rented several economy-level cars at airports that had CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    I hope apple gets CarPlay more stable before the relegate vehicle controls to it. Maps is so buggy After this last iOS 15 upgrade that I’ve started using google maps. 
    ravnorodomPetrolDave
  • Reply 11 of 37
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    We'll have to see what they come up with. I think touch screens require more of the driver's attention, for example, for changing AC/climate settings than simple dials and buttons as currently used. It will have to really well thought out to avoid an increase in driver distraction.
    Controls will most likey be an option, but I think the real benefit will be carrying your preferences from car to car. I feel this is hard for most people to see as a benefit b/c they typically only have one car.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    Skeptical said:
    I have to disagree about Car Play being available to higher end cars. In my experience, Car Play has been available in most cars, especially if they are new. 
    I think Apple has demonstrated with music and navigation how Apple CarPlay can play nicely w/the manufacture's systems and removed some fear from the manufacture that they will be reliant on Apple to provide a UI for their cars.

The ODBII interface allows Apple or anyone to read car parameters, speed, etc. but I don't believe and the article mentions there is not a standard across vendors, e.g. getCurrentSpeed(). Additionally, some features are secured and will require the manufacture to provide open access.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    wood1208 said:
    Ya. Why all NEW cars are not equipped with CarPlay, Digital Key and Two main safety features like front collision radar/camera and backup sensors/camera; than at additional cost blind spot and lane assist. And allow to display front camera while parking so you don't hit and backup camera to display back while driving.

I think you can expect front collision avoidance, blind spot monitoring, and lane keeping to be required on all new cars in the next few years.  Safety regulators do not care at all about CarPlay, digital keys, or any other convenience/entertainment features.  I doubt regulators will see always-on backup cameras as a safety feature except on trucks without rear windows any time soon.  I'm honestly kind of surprised that they're not required on trucks yet.  But rear view mirror that's really a screen is becoming more common as an option in many cars now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    davgreg said:
    I had CarPlay as standard on my 2016 VW Golf S. And my 2019 VW Golf Alltrack and my 2021 Subaru Outback.

It is hardly a “premium” feature unless you are getting ripped off by GM, Toyota or BMW. GM charges for CarPlay on Crapillacs, but when you are selling Chevy Trucks as a luxury vehicle  you are not dealing with the brightest of customers.

If the car you are buying charges for CarPlay you are dealing with the wrong car company.
    My 2022 Chevy Bolt came with it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Integrated, yes. Sophisticated, no. Manufacturers learned years ago to leave high end radios to the experts, even touting marque names like Bose and Mackintosh as features. When are they going to learn the same lesson about User Interfaces. Leave it to the pros. 
    StrangeDaysdesignrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I like my CarPlay, but it can be clumsy going back and forth between it and manufacturers UI for climate control and other auto functions. Worst problem for me is CPs lousy Sirius XM app—practically useless. I have to leave CP navigation and go back to Chevy UI to change channels. A pain. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Roderikus said:
    lkrupp said:
    In fact  has been trying for years and years to get deeper integration with car mgt. and navigation - to no avail.
    Car manufacturerers are doing their utmost to keep them out of the driving seat and offer their own, more sophisticted and integrated solutions.

Unfortunately, this is very much the case.
    @omasou you are on to something here-
    Apple needs to develop their own ODBII interface device that ties in with Carplay and at the same time pulls the vehicle data from the ODBII port. I don't know if anything (vehicle features, etc.) are able to be "modified" by using the ODBII port. Through AT&T you can purchase a Harman Spark that pulls a bunch of vehicle data that is read on a compatible smart phone and can also setup many monitoring features.
    https://car.harman.com/solutions/smart-auto/harman spark
    https://www.att.com/buy/connected-devices-and-more/harman-spark-black.html

omasou said:
    Skeptical said:
    I think Apple has demonstrated with music and navigation how Apple CarPlay can play nicely w/the manufacture's systems and removed some fear from the manufacture that they will be reliant on Apple to provide a UI for their cars.

The ODBII interface allows Apple or anyone to read car parameters, speed, etc. but I don't believe and the article mentions there is not a standard across vendors, e.g. getCurrentSpeed(). Additionally, some features are secured and will require the manufacture to provide open access.

edited October 2021 PetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Put the SiriusXM app on your iPhone and do everything from the app via Carplay and you also get better quality streaming (your choice) than what comes through the crap receiver that comes installed by the manufacturer.
    I understand your frustration with the climate controls and other vehicle specific controls, this is a peak of the lack of cooperation between vehicle manufacturers and Apple...

robin huber said:
    I like my CarPlay, but it can be clumsy going back and forth between it and manufacturers UI for climate control and other auto functions. Worst problem for me is CPs lousy Sirius XM app—practically useless. I have to leave CP navigation and go back to Chevy UI to change channels. A pain. 

edited October 2021 robin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    I have a 2010 Ford Edge SEL, that I replaced the radio with a Pioneer. There is an integration module called iDatalink, that with specific radios will connect to the car’s OBD2 connector and allow for features like live Gauges. It also shows the Car’s Tire Pressure Sensors, door alerts, battery voltage, and Check Engine Alerts. 

I actually had a check engine light yesterday. It gave me the code, I was able to lookup the code to find out what it was, and then Reset it to clear the code.  Depending on what features the car has, it can also retain stuff like door chimes and Onstar for GMs,  SiriusXM, the factory USB, and even the sync system in Fords. 

I think building these features or atleast allowing CarPlay to access these features would actually benefit both the Manufacturer and the Consumer in that, it gives a much more seemless expierence, but would also promote safety by allowing Siri to control those features of the car. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    gmikesell said:
    I hope apple gets CarPlay more stable before the relegate vehicle controls to it. Maps is so buggy After this last iOS 15 upgrade that I’ve started using google maps. 
    News to me. Been using it for years, and the latest as well. Haven’t run into any bugs in all that time. What Maps bugs are you referring to?
    the1maximusSolomon_GrundyGeorgeBMacDogpersonwatto_cobra