Apple wants to expand CarPlay to control more features of your car

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    I like my CarPlay, but it can be clumsy going back and forth between it and manufacturers UI for climate control and other auto functions. Worst problem for me is CPs lousy Sirius XM app—practically useless. I have to leave CP navigation and go back to Chevy UI to change channels. A pain. 
    The SiriusXM app isn’t built into CarPlay. Since you have the app on your phone, it exposes itself to CarPlay. SiriusXM needs to redesign the app for CarPlay to make it much more intuitive. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Skeptical said:
    I have to disagree about Car Play being available to higher end cars. In my experience, Car Play has been available in most cars, especially if they are new. 
    Not Teslas of any level. Which is insane.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    I like my CarPlay, but it can be clumsy going back and forth between it and manufacturers UI for climate control and other auto functions. Worst problem for me is CPs lousy Sirius XM app—practically useless. I have to leave CP navigation and go back to Chevy UI to change channels. A pain. 
    The SiriusXM app isn’t built into CarPlay. Since you have the app on your phone, it exposes itself to CarPlay. SiriusXM needs to redesign the app for CarPlay to make it much more intuitive. 
    Ha! SiriusXM is run by the cheapest, old-time radio misers in history. They have Barely updated the app since its launch over ten years ago. They update the "look" and added the minimal they could to make it work with CarPlay, but they will only put enough money in it to make it limp along. The sound quality of the streaming service is also a tell. They vary the bitrate by channel and time of day to save money. It averages out between 96kbps and 128kbps. Every other streaming service is maxing out sound quality to please customers. SiriusXM is good with 1998 standards.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    gfurry said:
    For $200 you can get a third-party Carplay radio. I have a Sony in my 1999 Mazda and it works great. 
    As manufacturers integrate vehicle systems in the display after market radios work in fewer and fewer cars. Fortunately more and more cars have CarPlay included.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Apple may want to do this, but I can't see the manufacturers going along with it. It would require a dramatic shift - currently, CarPlay is essentially functions as an external monitor for your phone that allows touch screen input. Functionally this requires virtually no integration or access to the car's computer system. All the manufacturer has to do is have a means to display the image on the car's screen.

Allowing CarPlay to control other systems is entirely another level of integration, requiring the manufacturers to give system access to the iPhone, figure out interface and display issues, etc. It also potentially raises security issues.

I love CarPlay - it's almost always better than manufacturers' interfaces, gives a consistent interface between vehicles, has wonderful integration with messages, calendar appointments, etc and is just easier. I don't know that trying to integrate system settings for 100 different car makes and models will improve that and it may make things worse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    davgreg said:
    I had CarPlay as standard on my 2016 VW Golf S. And my 2019 VW Golf Alltrack and my 2021 Subaru Outback.

It is hardly a “premium” feature unless you are getting ripped off by GM, Toyota or BMW. GM charges for CarPlay on Crapillacs, but when you are selling Chevy Trucks as a luxury vehicle  you are not dealing with the brightest of customers.

If the car you are buying charges for CarPlay you are dealing with the wrong car company.
    Why would I be ripped off because I have a 2020 BMW X5 where CarPlay happened to be included? -Was in fact included in my 2019 BMW 540 and I didn't really noticed before we were setting up the car at the dealer. I buy BMW and Mercedes cars, and CarPlay would only be something on the window sticker and not important to me as the cars systems are pretty comprehensive. In fact their systems integrates with Alexa (haven't tried Google) as well as the app on the phone.

Only use the CarPlay for music, but most of the time use the BMW infotainment system iDrive 7 works just fine and the appearance are way better than the CarPlay UI. I think Apple have a whole lot of fixing to do before I would think using it as car infotainment system.

Never been impressed with CarPlay. In fact wireless CarPlay is not really consistant to connect to my iPhone, Why I just let iDrive take over as that always connect. If I could save $500 for not having CarPlay I would be tempted, as why pay for something you don't use. -But then it may be of importance to the person who buy it second hand. 

The funny thing with CarPlay, if you are 4 people in the car and say "Hey Siri" then you sometimes get 3 phones and one car answering. If I say "Hey BMW" or "Hey Mercedes" then only the car answers....

I honestly do not care if the are a cost for CarPlay or included or not as for the cars I buy it's never been there are infotainment systems that works with a phone iPhone or Android. When I buy a car I don't really bother about infotainment accessory, and could not really care less. Whey you buy a car you just go make a deal, and say this is what you want and this is what you will pay and dealers will do anything to sell a car. -obviously not in the current marked situation.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    gmikesell said:
    I hope apple gets CarPlay more stable before the relegate vehicle controls to it. Maps is so buggy After this last iOS 15 upgrade that I’ve started using google maps. 
    I always use Google maps with CarPlay - why? Because Google maps has an offline map feature which Apple maps doesn’t - greatly reducing data usage and allowing maps to work where there is no mobile coverage.

Time to add an offline mode to Apple maps, step up to the plate Apple!!!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    MplsP said:
    Apple may want to do this, but I can't see the manufacturers going along with it. It would require a dramatic shift - currently, CarPlay is essentially functions as an external monitor for your phone that allows touch screen input. Functionally this requires virtually no integration or access to the car's computer system. All the manufacturer has to do is have a means to display the image on the car's screen.

Allowing CarPlay to control other systems is entirely another level of integration, requiring the manufacturers to give system access to the iPhone, figure out interface and display issues, etc. It also potentially raises security issues.

I love CarPlay - it's almost always better than manufacturers' interfaces, gives a consistent interface between vehicles, has wonderful integration with messages, calendar appointments, etc and is just easier. I don't know that trying to integrate system settings for 100 different car makes and models will improve that and it may make things worse.
    Huawei has done just that. It has tackled basically all of the problems you mentioned and has its system available on shipping cars already. The base system is also open source. The initial projection uptake was said to include agreements with manufacturers for over 120 models. Mostly China at the moment.

On top of that they are also handling the MDC (mobile data centre) side of things for 5G and things like V2X, road infrastructure, driver monitoring, making the car another element of a smart hub etc. 

designrGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Roderikus said:
    lkrupp said:
    But Apple would need the cooperation of the auto manufacturers to do this, right?
    In fact  has been trying for years and years to get deeper integration with car mgt. and navigation - to no avail.
    Car manufacturerers are doing their utmost to keep them out of the driving seat and offer their own, more sophisticted and integrated solutions
    You’re kidding, right? More sophisticted (sic) solutions? Every automaker’s interface I’ve ever experienced is a steaming pile of monkey poop. 
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Appleish said:
    Skeptical said:
    I have to disagree about Car Play being available to higher end cars. In my experience, Car Play has been available in most cars, especially if they are new. 
    Typical Musk arrogance. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Just sounds like datalink service like maestro and potentially, ADAS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Roderikus said:
    lkrupp said:
    But Apple would need the cooperation of the auto manufacturers to do this, right?
    In fact  has been trying for years and years to get deeper integration with car mgt. and navigation - to no avail.
    Car manufacturerers are doing their utmost to keep them out of the driving seat and offer their own, more sophisticted and integrated solutions
    I agree with you that car manufacturers have been trying to keep Apple out of their cars, which is exactly why I'll be buying an Apple Car as soon as it arrives. If it arrives before I'm dead from old age.

My current car supports CarPlay, but the only way to get access to it is to wait 30 seconds after the car starts up and then click a few buttons on the screen. CarPlay can't be set to the default interface. This is just one example of how car manufacturers have been fighting against CarPlay. They won't let us set it as the default.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    Roderikus said:
    lkrupp said:
    I agree with you that car manufacturers have been trying to keep Apple out of their cars, which is exactly why I'll be buying an Apple Car as soon as it arrives. If it arrives before I'm dead from old age.

My current car supports CarPlay, but the only way to get access to it is to wait 30 seconds after the car starts up and then click a few buttons on the screen. CarPlay can't be set to the default interface. This is just one example of how car manufacturers have been fighting against CarPlay. They won't let us set it as the default.
    You should be able to see why car manufacturers want to keep things in house or under their control. It's their car after all.

You are free to base your purchasing decisions around CarPlay but that's a little extreme in my view.

This isn't unlike Airplay support on third party equipment. Apple can't dictate to external product manufacturers. 

CarPlay isn't a capable system in its current state for anything beyond infotainment and to be much more than that, the car itself would need to be a completely different beast (although, as I mentioned above, such cars are already on some markets).

Should Apple make the base system open source and freely available to car manufacturers? Should there be a 'standard' system with zero tie-in of any kind? 

There are no easy answers but no phone manufacturer has a God given right to have its solutions included as stock on any third party vehicle. 

Apple isn't a victim here. 

• Reply 34 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    gmikesell said:
    I hope apple gets CarPlay more stable before the relegate vehicle controls to it. Maps is so buggy After this last iOS 15 upgrade that I’ve started using google maps. 
    I always use Google maps with CarPlay - why? Because Google maps has an offline map feature which Apple maps doesn’t - greatly reducing data usage and allowing maps to work where there is no mobile coverage.

Time to add an offline mode to Apple maps, step up to the plate Apple!!!

It would be better to fix our broken internet system -- and blanket the county in 5G like China did.  But that will take years and will be further delayed by political haggling over government spending.

But, in the meantime, yeh!  That would be nice!
    My grandson lives in a semi-rural area with spotty coverage.  The other day I dropped him off at a friend's house planning on using AppleMaps to get me back to civilization but, no coverage meant not only no maps but no phone.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Appleish said:
    Skeptical said:
    Typical Musk arrogance. 

He had a predecessor who was very similar.  Like Musk, he changed the world.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    Roderikus said:
    lkrupp said:

Nor should they, the car isn’t Apple’s to play with and in reverse the iPhone isn’t theirs.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    danox said:
    Roderikus said:
    lkrupp said:

Nor should they, the car isn’t Apple’s to play with and in reverse the iPhone isn’t theirs.

There's another aspect:  With one of the world's largest industries united in pouring hundreds of billions into the future of the automobile, how much will Apple be able to contribute in meaningful terms?

Apple is good.  But are they that much better?