China increases power cuts, 'scared' suppliers look to leave country

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    elijahg said:
    tedz98 said:
    This is a classic example of the failures of communism, big government and central planning. They can’t keep the lights on!...
    LOL...  The UK can't keep the lights on either.  And we can't unload ships.

Should China call that a failure of Capitalism?

BTW, China just ordered increased output from their mines to alleviate the shortage.
    But, they have also been cutting back on the use and mining of coal because of climate change.  Plus, they stopped the import of Australian coal when they became openly hostile.   So, we'll have to see how they decide to manage that.   But one thing is certain:   The predictions of China's demise are greatly premature.
    Oh look it’s George our resident China shill. Please do point to where in the UK the lights have gone out? Electricity costs have soared, but that’s a global problem not a UK problem. 

The hostility from China for the last 5+ years has nothing to do with the “hostility” from Australia then? What about China calling the Australian PM “insane” today? That’s definitely the words a sane, globally responsible government would use. 
    The dispute is between China and Australian prime minister that started in 2018.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190322121026/https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/morrison-pledges-no-showboating-on-china/ar-BBPCxFM
    Crazed, radical Australians, always about coercion.
    Fixed that for you...

But, even as crazy as the Aussies have become, it was pretty stupid to attack their chief trading partner.

• Reply 62 of 92
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    maestro64 said:
    DAalseth said:
    tmay said:
    The cost of fossil fuels is not just emissions but also in exposure to this volatility
    That is the most profound part. We shouldn’t be dependant on what China does, or what Iran does, or what Russia does. With a domestic, renewable energy supply we could, as my folks said back IN THE 1970s, tell them to drink their damn oil. Same goes for natural gas, or coal. Move off of them and it won’t just be good for the planet, it will be good for national security.

and you know at night the sun does not shire and winds drop off and batteries storage is expense and must be replaced every 7 to 10 yrs and batteries can not be recycled and material which goes into batteries comes out of mines which requires lots of heavy equipment along with the material going into solar cell. Also the blades on windmills need to be replaces every 10 to 15 yrs due to stress crack and they can not be recyled since they are made of fiberglass. Solar panels need to be replaces every 20 to 25 year and can not be recycled.  The real solution is not solar cell, batteries and windmills. It is Nuclear and hydrogen in either a fuel cell or Hydrogen combusion engins. Last yr the US was engery independent, for the first time in over 50 yrs and in a few short month the US is now dependent on what the world is doing yet again with no solution to do something else. Even if everyone home in the US had solar panels and windmill it could not product enough power to run our economy. Your can not run a factory off solar or windmills.
    1 Thats what beck up energy storage systems are for. Battery or other tech. 
    2 I have a 20 year old Prius. The batteries are good as new.  No they do not need to be replaced every 7-10 years. The first gen yes but not now
    3 Yes lithium Ion batteries can be recycled. They broke ground on plants to do just that this year https://spectrum.ieee.org/amp/lithiumion-battery-recycling-finally-takes-off-in-north-america-and-europe-2652903758
    4 I work for a robotics company and we were asked a couple of years ago to build a vehicle to inspect the inside of aluminum windmill blades for cracks. 

All that said I agree that nuclear and hydrogen will need to be a big part of the future. But so will solar, wind, geothermal, and more. We need to stop relying on just one tech. Diversity is strength. 
  • Reply 63 of 92
    DAalseth said:
    maestro64 said:
    DAalseth said:
    tmay said:
    The cost of fossil fuels is not just emissions but also in exposure to this volatility
    That is the most profound part. We shouldn’t be dependant on what China does, or what Iran does, or what Russia does. With a domestic, renewable energy supply we could, as my folks said back IN THE 1970s, tell them to drink their damn oil. Same goes for natural gas, or coal. Move off of them and it won’t just be good for the planet, it will be good for national security.

and you know at night the sun does not shire and winds drop off and batteries storage is expense and must be replaced every 7 to 10 yrs and batteries can not be recycled and material which goes into batteries comes out of mines which requires lots of heavy equipment along with the material going into solar cell. Also the blades on windmills need to be replaces every 10 to 15 yrs due to stress crack and they can not be recyled since they are made of fiberglass. Solar panels need to be replaces every 20 to 25 year and can not be recycled.  The real solution is not solar cell, batteries and windmills. It is Nuclear and hydrogen in either a fuel cell or Hydrogen combusion engins. Last yr the US was engery independent, for the first time in over 50 yrs and in a few short month the US is now dependent on what the world is doing yet again with no solution to do something else. Even if everyone home in the US had solar panels and windmill it could not product enough power to run our economy. Your can not run a factory off solar or windmills.
    2 I have a 20 year old Prius. The batteries are good as new.  No they do not need to be replaced every 7-10 years. The first gen yes but not now
    3 Yes lithium Ion batteries can be recycled. They broke ground on plants to do just that this year https://spectrum.ieee.org/amp/lithiumion-battery-recycling-finally-takes-off-in-north-america-and-europe-2652903758
    4 I work for a robotics company and we were asked a couple of years ago to build a vehicle to inspect the inside of aluminum windmill blades for cracks. 

All that said I agree that nuclear and hydrogen will need to be a big part of the future. But so will solar, wind, geothermal, and more. We need to stop relying on just one tech. Diversity is strength. 
    That's good to know.   When I read that they said the battery would last for the length of the car, I assumed that they simply shortened the expected life of the car. 

But what really concerned me was when they started talking about incorporating batteries as part of the car's structure -- that suggested that they were not replaceable.  But, if they can last 20 years like yours, who cares?

• Reply 64 of 92
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    tmay said:
    elijahg said:
    tedz98 said:
    This is a classic example of the failures of communism, big government and central planning. They can’t keep the lights on!...

BTW, China just ordered increased output from their mines to alleviate the shortage.
    But, they have also been cutting back on the use and mining of coal because of climate change.  Plus, they stopped the import of Australian coal when they became openly hostile.   So, we'll have to see how they decide to manage that.   But one thing is certain:   The predictions of China's demise are greatly premature.
    Oh look it’s George our resident China shill. Please do point to where in the UK the lights have gone out? Electricity costs have soared, but that’s a global problem not a UK problem. 

The hostility from China for the last 5+ years has nothing to do with the “hostility” from Australia then? What about China calling the Australian PM “insane” today? That’s definitely the words a sane, globally responsible government would use. 
    The dispute is between China and Australian prime minister that started in 2018.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190322121026/https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/morrison-pledges-no-showboating-on-china/ar-BBPCxFM
    Fixed that for you...

But, even as crazy as the Aussies have become, it was pretty stupid to attack their chief trading partner.

LOL!

I like how that is actually working out.

"Crazy" Aussies teaming with U.S. and UK to build SSN's, and increased U.S. military basing in Australia.

https://news.usni.org/2021/10/04/u-s-u-k-aircraft-carriers-drill-with-japanese-big-deck-warship-in-the-western-pacific
  • Reply 65 of 92
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    DAalseth said:
    maestro64 said:
    DAalseth said:
    tmay said:

That's good to know.   When I read that they said the battery would last for the length of the car, I assumed that they simply shortened the expected life of the car. 

But what really concerned me was when they started talking about incorporating batteries as part of the car's structure -- that suggested that they were not replaceable.  But, if they can last 20 years like yours, who cares?

Why would you worry about this? Rather, perhaps I should ask why do you think structural batteries are not replaceable? Dollars to donuts, the batteries will be packed in boxes, the boxes will be installed in a skateboard frame. The big difference is that those battery boxes will carry some structural load. Net benefit is that other load bearing parts of the car’s structural can decrease in weight, resulting in a lighter vehicle. The battery boxes can still be replaced. 

And yes, worn out batteries in EVs will become an increasingly smaller issue. Tesla is already shipping Model 3 vehicles in China with lithium-iron-phosphate batteries. These are “million mile” batteries. LFP batteries will probably replace nickel-manganese-cobalt batteries (what is used for most Li-ion batteries today) for a lot of applications. Not sure if they’ll make it in computers and smartphones, but for a lot of applications yes. 

Batteries are under intense economic competition to get better along all axes of performance. It’s really a mistake to apply one’s experiential knowledge of them to other applications and especially a mistake for future performance and applications. 

Even the nickel-manganese-cobalt batteries are improving with self-healing techniques to become “million mile” batteries. Heck, a good candidate for grid scale batteries is a rust chemistry technology. Interesting. 

FileMakerFellerfastasleep
  • Reply 66 of 92
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    DAalseth said:
    There are already companies taking old wind turbine blades and using them to make concrete, fiberglass boards, etc. It will only get better with time.

The talking point maestro uses is immaterial, or has no relevancy. Even if renewables aren't being recycled - and the techniques and processes to have them recycled are all being developed - the end result is their waste is put into landfill, where it is fairly harmless. The waste for fossil fuels kill millions of people every year, their waste causes global warming which causes hundreds of billions of dollars in damage a year, destabilizes nations with its resultant migration issues and losses of life; and, if left unchecked represents a threat to humanity itself.

It's not a choice, unless you think a choice between suffering or survival is a choice. The only choice will have is to draw GHG concentrations down to levels suitable for human civilization, and it isn't 400 ppm CO2. It's 300, at best. The only way fossil fuels is a good choice today is if all of its CO2 is sequestered and buried. Currently, there is maybe one plant that does a bad job at this?

For people that think global warming is an issue, the time to act is now. It's been "now" for 40 years, but it's always "now". Get a renewable energy plan, electrify everything, don't waste, and vote. If you have the means, get EVs, use mass transit more often, get solar, get storage. Even if you don't think it is an issue, you should really think about solar+storage if you have the means. It is net cheaper.

The energy situations across various parts of the world should be taken as warning for Apple and its suppliers. Apple at minimum should be contractually requiring them to become energy independent post haste. Renewables+storage is the easiest, cheapest and most reliable way to do that. They can be grid tied, but should have the means to be energy independent. Leaving a country because of energy issues isn't the right reason to leave a country. Every country has its issues that need to be dealt with. But they all have the means to become energy independent in whatever country they are in.

DAalseth said:
    Yes, diversification.

However, I can't see how any thermal plant is big part of our current future, be nuclear, green gas thermal plants, etc. All thermal plants will have decreasing capacity factors as the Earth is warming. That drives up their costs, exactly the wrong direction for them to be competitive to renewables. It's global warming. Everything is getting hotter, including all bodies of water and the Earth itself. The vast majority of thermal plants require cooling water, with most of that water provided by streams, rivers and lakes where they are sited. As those bodies of water are warmed, the plants efficiency decreases, and there will be more offline days because it is too hot. There will be a Faustian bargain made to have ever hotter water released downstream. I guarantee a thermal plant will get approval to release "hotter than than regulated" water downstream.

At minimum, they'll need isolated exhaust ponds for the water to be cooled before released back in downstream waters to do it properly. At some point, the bodies of water upstream or parts of a lake will need to be shaded to keep it cool enough to maintains the plant's efficiency. Assuming it hasn't dried up due to global warming itself, which I think a not small fraction of plants will be effected by it.

I think there should be several nuclear breeder reactors built though. This would be for dealing with the nuclear waste we have. They should produce electricity, so two birds with one stone, but it really is the proper way to dispose of nuclear waste. Knock down the waste's half lives to reasonable levels. This will be a whole lot better than the status quo of doing nothing to waste with thousand+ year half lives.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 67 of 92
    This is a blatant attempt by the Chinese gov’t to manipulate their manufacturing dominance and force Chinese companies into other markets/countries. SMH.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    elijahg said:
    tedz98 said:

Fixed that for you...

LOL!

I like how that is actually working out.

"Crazy" Aussies teaming with U.S. and UK to build SSN's, and increased U.S. military basing in Australia.

https://news.usni.org/2021/10/04/u-s-u-k-aircraft-carriers-drill-with-japanese-big-deck-warship-in-the-western-pacific

Yeh, we needed another Israel in Asia.   A PittBull.   It won't protect them, but we can use them as leverage without getting our hands dirty.  But that and other crap they pulled cost them their largest trading partner. 

I'm not sure if they're crazy or just stupid.  But they seem to have a Trumper running things.  So maybe they're both.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    n2macs said:
    This is a blatant attempt by the Chinese gov’t to manipulate their manufacturing dominance and force Chinese companies into other markets/countries. SMH.
    According to the BBC China has produced and exported more Corona virus vaccine than anybody.  Far more.

Those bastards!  Trying to save lives!  How dare they make "the developed nations" look so bad!  /s

Bar chart of vaccine production in China EU India and US
  • Reply 70 of 92
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    entropys said:
    tedz98 said:
    This is a classic example of the failures of communism, big government and central planning. They can’t keep the lights on! The article, which in many ways from a journalistic perspective, isn’t written well - doesn’t answer the basic question of why there is a power shortage in China. It also speaks to the corruption of big government. Companies with political influence, and by inference, the resources to bribe officials, are the ones who get electricity (sounds a bit like what’s going on in Washington D.C.) You can be sure if companies weare being denied electricity, private citizens are going without power in their homes. Do global warming alarmists really think China is going to limit CO2 output when they are bringing new coal burning power plants online every week, yet still can’t meet power demand? Apple should have been undertaking a serious effort to leave China a long time ago. But the lure of cheap labor and easier profitability has kept them there longer than they should have been. So wake up America! The siren’s lure of big brother government being the provider of the basic necessities of daily life touted by the likes of AOC, Bernie, Biden, Nancy and Schumer are deceptive and false. California, which is already a semi-socialist state, is well on its way to being unable to meet everyday power needs during periods of peak demand. Gavin Newsome and his ilk in Sacramento falsely think they posses the intellectual superiority to control the basic economic, environmental and societal variables of California to lead to optimal outcomes for the citizens of California. Given the outflow of people and companies from California I would argue they are failing. Tesla is moving their headquarters to Texas as a very recent example of this. Not to mention the California problems with homelessness. Apple’s next big worry is TSMC and their reliance on Taiwan for Apple CPU’s. If Apple were smart they’d be knocking on the doors of Intel and other domestic chip producers and start developing backup supply chains for chips. This is a multi-year effort so get started now! The China pendulum has reached its apex. Time for new plans Apple!
    Oh, did you mean California - the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world? Yeah they're doing fine. Just because anti-labor and anti-COVID-measures wingnuts like Musk chase corporate welfare elsewhere doesn't mean there is anything wrong w/ CA. 

Also, you've enjoyed the fruits of socialism since before you were born.

The blackboard is confused about the difference between public goods and owning/controlling the means of production. And can’t spell “benifits”.
    If it was confused as you claim we wouldn't have Republicans screaming "SOCIALISM!!!" at every attempt at improving American society.

You can't have it both ways.

Improving society by taking YOUR money and giving it to someone that didn’t earn it. Only 60 percent of the US population works and produces anything. Certainly there is a need for some social programs, but a balance needs to be stuck somewhere otherwise there is no incentive to work and be productive. 
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 71 of 92
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    hexclock said:
    entropys said:
    tedz98 said:
    This is a classic example of the failures of communism, big government and central planning. They can’t keep the lights on! The article, which in many ways from a journalistic perspective, isn’t written well - doesn’t answer the basic question of why there is a power shortage in China. It also speaks to the corruption of big government. Companies with political influence, and by inference, the resources to bribe officials, are the ones who get electricity (sounds a bit like what’s going on in Washington D.C.) You can be sure if companies weare being denied electricity, private citizens are going without power in their homes. Do global warming alarmists really think China is going to limit CO2 output when they are bringing new coal burning power plants online every week, yet still can’t meet power demand? Apple should have been undertaking a serious effort to leave China a long time ago. But the lure of cheap labor and easier profitability has kept them there longer than they should have been. So wake up America! The siren’s lure of big brother government being the provider of the basic necessities of daily life touted by the likes of AOC, Bernie, Biden, Nancy and Schumer are deceptive and false. California, which is already a semi-socialist state, is well on its way to being unable to meet everyday power needs during periods of peak demand. Gavin Newsome and his ilk in Sacramento falsely think they posses the intellectual superiority to control the basic economic, environmental and societal variables of California to lead to optimal outcomes for the citizens of California. Given the outflow of people and companies from California I would argue they are failing. Tesla is moving their headquarters to Texas as a very recent example of this. Not to mention the California problems with homelessness. Apple’s next big worry is TSMC and their reliance on Taiwan for Apple CPU’s. If Apple were smart they’d be knocking on the doors of Intel and other domestic chip producers and start developing backup supply chains for chips. This is a multi-year effort so get started now! The China pendulum has reached its apex. Time for new plans Apple!
    Oh, did you mean California - the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world? Yeah they're doing fine. Just because anti-labor and anti-COVID-measures wingnuts like Musk chase corporate welfare elsewhere doesn't mean there is anything wrong w/ CA. 

The blackboard is confused about the difference between public goods and owning/controlling the means of production. And can’t spell “benifits”.
    If it was confused as you claim we wouldn't have Republicans screaming "SOCIALISM!!!" at every attempt at improving American society.

Improving society by taking YOUR money and giving it to someone that didn’t earn it. Only 60 percent of the US population works and produces anything. Certainly there is a need for some social programs, but a balance needs to be stuck somewhere otherwise there is no incentive to work and be productive. 
    Just a small but curious interjection here. 

The EU has been discussing internally for a few years already, the idea of a 'universal salary', aware that a time will come when there are more 'active' people than 'work' for them to do. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 72 of 92
    n2macs said:
    Wow! China hater's blatant logic! China increases power outage hurting its own company can be manipulated into a conspiracy. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 73 of 92
    hexclock said:
    entropys said:
    tedz98 said:

More whining from Republicans... 
    Meanwhile out nation is rotting from lack of investment -- the same as our steel industry did back in the 1980's trying to compete against modern Japanese mills with 100year old technology.

Just like corporations, nations need to invest in themselves or they fall by the wayside.

• Reply 74 of 92
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    entropys said:
    tedz98 said:

Just a small but curious interjection here. 

The EU has been discussing internally for a few years already, the idea of a 'universal salary', aware that a time will come when there are more 'active' people than 'work' for them to do. 

Yes, automation has taken far more jobs than imports and it will continue to do so.

I have friends who think there will always be well paid UPS drivers and such.  They don't understand that, at some point, those drivers (and many others) will be eliminated with self driving trucks and delivery drones or robots. 
  • Reply 75 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    n2macs said:
    According to the BBC China has produced and exported more Corona virus vaccine than anybody.  Far more.

Those bastards!  Trying to save lives!  How dare they make "the developed nations" look so bad!  /s

Gotta do something with millions of already-produced doses with questionable efficacy. The Chinese government no longer wanted to use them. They finally admitted back in Apple they were on the wrong path with vaccine plans and are now pursuing the same mRNA development funded by the US government in large part and employed by Moderna and Pfizer.

"China has distributed hundreds of millions of doses of domestically made vaccines abroad and is relying on them for its own mass immunization campaign. But the director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Gao Fu, said at a conference their efficacy rates needed improving.

“We will solve the issue that current vaccines don’t have very high protection rates. (ie, as low as 50%) “It’s now under consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process.”

He also praised the benefits of mRNA vaccines, the technology behind the two vaccines seen as the most effective, Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, months after questioning whether the then-unproven method was safe."

The Chinese weren't as great at this as you like to promote them as being George. The US had the right idea when it came to vaccine development, but it took the Chinese a year longer to realize it. 

edited October 2021 tmay
  • Reply 76 of 92
    gatorguy said:
    n2macs said:

Gotta do something with millions of doses with questionable efficacy. The Cjinese government no longer wanted to use them. They finally admitted back in Apple they were on the wrong path with vaccine production and are now pursuing the same mRNA development funded by the US government in large part and employed by Moderna and Pfizer.

"China has distributed hundreds of millions of doses of domestically made vaccines abroad and is relying on them for its own mass immunization campaign. But the director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Gao Fu, said at a conference their efficacy rates needed improving.

“We will solve the issue that current vaccines don’t have very high protection rates. (ie, as low as 50%) “It’s now under consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process.”

He also praised the benefits of mRNA vaccines, the technology behind the two vaccines seen as the most effective, Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, months after questioning whether the then-unproven method was safe."

The Chinese weren't as great as you like to promote them as George. The US had the right idea when it came to vaccine development, but it took the Chinese a year longer to realize it. 

All Chinese science and technology is learned from the west. Therefore it does not have leading science and technology. China relies on the west for leading science and technology.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    gatorguy said:
    n2macs said:

Gotta do something with millions of already-produced doses with questionable efficacy. The Chinese government no longer wanted to use them. They finally admitted back in Apple they were on the wrong path with vaccine plans and are now pursuing the same mRNA development funded by the US government in large part and employed by Moderna and Pfizer.

The Chinese weren't as great at this as you like to promote them as being George. The US had the right idea when it came to vaccine development, but it took the Chinese a year longer to realize it. 

A vaccine has zero efficacy, none, nada, zip if it isn't manufactured, distributed, and used -- like those you are touting the efficacy of.

But nice try!
  • Reply 78 of 92
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    rcfa said:
    lkrupp said:
    And if the climate change radicals get their way this is the future for the U.S. Learn to live one or two days a week without power... to save the planet of course.
    Nuclear power would solve the problem once and for all; it’s by far the greenest energy, if everything is factored in (land and resource use, waste, CO2, impact on eco systems, cradle to grave) and there’s enough of it for hundreds of millions of years.
    Solar power is of course nuclear fusion power (from a large centrally located fusion plant), and has gone down in cost by an order of magnitude in the past decade -- it is currently half the cost of coal and still dropping rapidly.  The sun is safe from terrorism and accidents and will last for billions of years.
    thttmayGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 79 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    n2macs said:

A vaccine has zero efficacy, none, nada, zip if it isn't manufactured, distributed, and used -- like those you are touting the efficacy of.

But nice try!
    It was a Chinese official who said it, not me George. 
    tmay
  • Reply 80 of 92
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    n2macs said:

But nice try!
    It was a Chinese official who said it, not me George. 
    Chinese official will tell facts but not all facts will be told.  :(