More evidence surfaces of 5G 'iPhone SE 3' coming in spring 2022

Posted:
in iPhone
A new report again says a revamped iPhone SE will be released in spring 2022, featuring the same chassis as before, but with 5G and Apple's A15 Bionic processor.

iPhone SE

Apple has been predicted before to release a third generation of its iPhone SE range, and some of those predictions have been particularly detailed.

Now Japanese technology blog Mac Otakara says that, "reliable Chinese sources" have confirmed the key points of these previous leaks. The new "iPhone SE 3" will retain the iPhone 8-style design, but use iPhone 13 internal components.

This means it will continue to have a 4.7-inch Retina HD display, and also retain the Home button for Touch ID. Mac Otakara says (in translation) that it is "likely" to use the A15 Bionic processor and also the Qualcomm Snapdragon X60 5G modem, both as used in the iPhone 13.

The report claims that production is probably going to start in December 2021. An "iPhone SE 3" is expected to be announced in the spring of 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I'm interested in this SE upgrade, but won't bite as long as Apple clings to Lightening.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Good news for touchid iphone owners who wants to upgrade to 5G but still wants familiar touchid iphone. Though the price might go up a bit to $449.99. Hopefully, someday iPhone will have underscreen touch id which is as good and reliable as physical touchid.
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 3 of 12
    … I’d be interested if it had the iPhone 13 battery 3,227 mAh
    pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    6toecat said:
    I'm interested in this SE upgrade, but won't bite as long as Apple clings to Lightening.

How could it possibly matter?!
    williamlondonspock1234
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    I’m selling my iPhone mini when this comes out. Apple made a decision by not putting Touch ID in the 13 where they will lose my business because of the pandemic.  I’m constantly wearing a mask and Touch ID is the way to go for me.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Plausible. Apple clearly sells a nice amount of these devices and there’s an entrenched user base of Touch ID fans that Apple wants to keep serving. 

I like the idea of Apple being able to offer those customers the best of the iPhone 13 whilst retaining a form factor and industrial design that they like. 

So… SE now presumably stands for Spring Edition! 
    Fred257
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Fred257 said:
    I’m selling my iPhone mini when this comes out. Apple made a decision by not putting Touch ID in the 13 where they will lose my business because of the pandemic.  I’m constantly wearing a mask and Touch ID is the way to go for me.  

Isn't it easier throw the mask away.... ;) ?
    spock1234
  • Reply 8 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Would love to see a return of SE1 form factor.
    opinionspock1234
  • Reply 9 of 12
    The iPhone SE series phones are Apple's gift to developers. We can pick them up for a few hundred bucks (often heavily discounted by prepaid carriers) and use them to test our apps on the latest Apple CPUs/GPUs.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Some day in future under screen touch id on iPhone will be "NIRVANA" for iPhone users.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    So the real question is iPhone 13 Mini Or SE-2021?

if one doesn’t care about the camera, what’s left to justify the Mini?