New 'M1X' MacBook Pros to feature 1080p cameras, similar pricing, leaker claims

Posted:
in macOS
Apple's upcoming MacBook Pros could feature upgraded 1080p cameras, 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage on the base models, and smaller bezels all around, according to a leaker.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The rumors come from iOS developer and leaker @dylandkt, who made the predictions shortly after Apple officially announced its Oct. 18 "Unleashed" event.

MacBook Pro 14 and 16:
Mini Led displays
Smaller bezels with no bottom logo
1080p webcam
Base models will have 16gb of ram and 512gb of storage
Base M1X is the same configuration for both models
Pricing will be similar between 14 and 16 inch
New charging brick

-- Dylan (@dylandkt)

The leaker says that both the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro will feature a mini-LED display, echoing rumors and reports that have surfaced in 2021. Earlier on Tuesday, a display analyst said that mini LED is "100% confirmed" on the new models.

Additionally, @dylandkt also reiterated claims that both the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro model would have the same M1X chipset with equivalent speeds across the lineup. Likely because of that, the leaker says that pricing will be similar on both devices.

The leaker also maintained past claims from other sources, including the forecast that both models will come equipped with a higher-quality 1080p camera. Dylan also claimed that the devices will have smaller bezels and no bottom "MacBook Pro" text and could ship with a new charging brick.

Both models are largely expected to make their debut at Apple's "Unleashed" event, scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific (1 p.m. Eastern) on Monday, Oct. 18. Supply chain sources indicate that production began ramping up in August.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Considering the 15 inch MacBook Pro came with a base RAM of 16gb since late 2013 or 2014 I think its about time it was upgraded to 32GB and absolute minimum 512GB SSD as base model. Especially if they are pricing the same as 2020. As they’re saving money on the Touch Bar, processor & GPU at the very least. Granted there will be a slight increase in display cost but considering the savings they’ve made in the last 5 years by keeping the same screens launched in 2012 I don’t think that should be a factor. Otherwise they should knock £200\$200 off the price. 
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I’m still hoping against all hope and rumors that the Touch Bar will be an option on the 16” models. You have to admit that it’s kind of weird that they’d go through the trouble of porting the hardware and drivers to the M1 13” Pro just to discontinue it after one model.

how about f-keys and Touch Bar? Everyone wins!

curious about this new power brick, gawd knows that’s due for improvements
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I’m still hoping against all hope and rumors that the Touch Bar will be an option on the 16” models. You have to admit that it’s kind of weird that they’d go through the trouble of porting the hardware and drivers to the M1 13” Pro just to discontinue it after one model.

BTO ?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Gaby said:
    Considering the 15 inch MacBook Pro came with a base RAM of 16gb since late 2013 or 2014 I think its about time it was upgraded to 32GB and absolute minimum 512GB SSD as base model. Especially if they are pricing the same as 2020. As they’re saving money on the Touch Bar, processor & GPU at the very least. Granted there will be a slight increase in display cost but considering the savings they’ve made in the last 5 years by keeping the same screens launched in 2012 I don’t think that should be a factor. Otherwise they should knock £200\$200 off the price. 
    I'll never understand the problem people have with minimums. You don't have to buy the minimum option being offered and you should always be aware of costs v need and how it related to your personal ROI.

Furthermore, they're switching to a new architecture so your blanket statement about RAM needs doesn't carry. Now, I will be upgrading the RAM—I always do—because it will make the resale down the road worth the investment, but that's very different from stating that the minimum RAM needs to be 32GB in the 16" M1X because the minimum RAM in the 15" Intel MBP has been 16 GiB for many years.

Personally, I'm going to be happy to get a new MBP this year. I've been holding onto my 2017 15" for about twice as long as I usually keep a Mac notebook because I knew this charge was forthcoming and Intel really hasn't moved the needle much to make an upgrade viable. You won't hear me complaining if I can't get more than 64 GiB in my name MBP.
    edited October 2021 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Please for the love of all things good I hope M1X isn't the real name.
    I mean all sorts of reasons but the M1 is really the A14X and got a new name for it's expanded role. 
    P1 seems for the workaday pro seems like a good to me, then X1 for the Mac Pro chip.

Makes it cleaner to then keep the P1 models next year as lower tier when the P2 models come online. so the line is something like this by xmas next year.
    MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

Mac Pro P2 or X1 (half tower)
    Mac Pro Max X1 or 2 x X1 (full tower)
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mattinoz said:
    I mean all sorts of reasons but the M1 is really the A14X and got a new name for it's expanded role. 
    P1 seems for the workaday pro seems like a good to me, then X1 for the Mac Pro chip.

Makes it cleaner to then keep the P1 models next year as lower tier when the P2 models come online. so the line is something like this by xmas next year.
    MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

Why would you care what it’s called? Mine is currently a “Core i9 8950HK“ and I absolutely never think about it. 

From everything we know about the chips, the M1, M1X, M2, M2X scheme works, not sure why using different letters makes it somehow better. 
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Gaby said:
    Don't think there's much chance of that ... between the higher cost of the mini-LED panels, cost of retooling, component shortages (and thus higher BoM), and the lower quantity sold in the prosumer model class, Apple will be at least initially seeking to recoup their investment in the new models.

That said, I don't think there will be any justification for raising the 16" base model price from its current $2,399 level - though the 14" will probably rise in price due to the fact that it's not a high-end 13" replacement, but rather a mini-16" MacBook Pro with all the capabilities of the 16".
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Eric_WVGG said:

Not much chance of that either - I can't recall a single BTO option which replaced the physical top case of a MacBook Pro.

Just stocking the parts at all endpoints would be very expensive, not to mention training the techs on the various internal configurations.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

Don't quite get what your problem is with internal nomenclature - it wasn't the A12x iPad, it was the iPad Pro (with an A12x SoC).

There are only so many letters in the alphabet, and even the 'M' designation conflicts with the motion coprocessor in phones like the iPhone 7.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

Don't quite get what your problem is with internal nomenclature - it wasn't the A12x iPad, it was the iPad Pro (with an A12x SoC).

There are only so many letters in the alphabet, and even the 'M' designation conflicts with the motion coprocessor in phones like the iPhone 7.
    Good - Better - Best
    Last Years M - This Years M - This Years MxX?

Assuming the low price point model of each product is going to be last years processor kept around at like the Air has 7 core M1 then the Processor naming does become a more public thing. Would also let them do a couple of tiers on models that make sense like Mac Mini, MacBook 14 and iMac 24 could have an upper tier that is the better processor in the family. It can become a distinct part of the marketing. 

Edit: to add look at Apples website between the first release of AS and the second with iMac 24 where the M1 has acquired an icon. 

edited October 2021
  • Reply 11 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

I doubt cleanliness of processor naming conventions is a priority at Apple. They just want to communicate intent to their audience. 

A# means mobile. #X means boosted graphics.  M# means Motion or Mac, dependent on context. And the iPad Pro with an M# is a special case where they want to communicate a mobile device with the power of a Mac.

It’s not all that hard.
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 20
    crowley said:
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

I doubt cleanliness of processor naming conventions is a priority at Apple. They just want to communicate intent to their audience. 

A# means mobile. #X means boosted graphics.  M# means Motion or Mac, dependent on context. And the iPad Pro with an M# is a special case where they want to communicate a mobile device with the power of a Mac.

It’s not all that hard.
    Excepting this isn’t just boosted graphics it’s a jump to 10 or 12 cores of cpu and Gpu 
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mattinoz said:
    crowley said:
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

It’s not all that hard.
    Excepting this isn’t just boosted graphics it’s a jump to 10 or 12 cores of cpu and Gpu 
    So far the 'X' in the A-series has meant extra graphic performance, but that doesn't mean they can't decide that extra processors, graphics, RAM, etc. are also get an 'X' designator on the Pro models.

As we've seen in the past with an 'S' being added to every other iPhone name, the 'S' stood was marketed as a different word starting with 'S'.

Ultimately it's just a fucking name and has no bearing on how the device functions or fits your specific need. I wouldn't care if they they called if the Microsoft Surface Samsung Galaxy Mega Mega Zippy Chip with Retsyn. Their lawyers would care, but I wouldn't.
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Xed said:
    Gaby said:
    I'll never understand the problem people have with minimums. You don't have to buy the minimum option being offered and you should always be aware of costs v need and how it related to your personal ROI.

Furthermore, they're switching to a new architecture so your blanket statement about RAM needs doesn't carry. Now, I will be upgrading the RAM—I always do—because it will make the resale down the road worth the investment, but that's very different from stating that the minimum RAM needs to be 32GB in the 16" M1X because the minimum RAM in the 15" Intel MBP has been 16 GiB for many years.

Personally, I'm going to be happy to get a new MBP this year. I've been holding onto my 2017 15" for about twice as long as I usually keep a Mac notebook because I knew this charge was forthcoming and Intel really hasn't moved the needle much to make an upgrade viable. You won't hear me complaining if I can't get more than 64 GiB in my name MBP.
    Well I have to disagree with you there. For one, I have not ever ordered a base spec model as it would be entirely unsuitable to my needs.  In point of fact I’m merely speaking from a value proposition, which is important to a lot of people, and nobody likes to feel they are being taken advantage of.  I’m in the fortunate position of not needing to worry about my finances as such, but I am not blind to the struggle of others, nor to the fact that Apple; or it’s leadership, are becoming greedier as time goes on..  I realise that in this respect the company is a victim of its own success in that the larger the growth, the more they need to earn to continue to grow, but I digress…

The point I was actually making was that back then 16GB was the maximum available RAM, and yet they saw fit to ship the 15 inch - which was the high end machine - with a large amount. These machines, with their new  second gen RISC chipsets are going to truly push things forward in terms of what’s possible on a portable machine, and will benefit greatly from increased memory. The efficiency of the architecture or the OS do not factor into it. It’s easy to say “well look the M1 macs run great on even 8 gigs so why do you need more?” 
    The fact is those machines are designed really for average customers, not those of us who use pro applications, and that’s the real crux of it. This being practically the first high end ARM machine for professionals available commercially I think Apple are going to kick things up a notch. Even with the efficiency of the system, third party pro apps can be a real drain on resources, granted much less than on x86 machines but still, for those who intend to use this particularly as a mobile workstation for extremely graphically intensive tasks; or those applications like Adobe CC that would normally page swap they will benefit from much larger amounts of RAM. Moreover that has benefits for the SSD too.  So in an age where Drives can be very large and since the prices are much more reasonable, and 256 is nothing at all now, it would be nice for the base models to be better equipped. Even if they upped the RAM by 8 Gigs to 24 that would be spot on for a lot of people. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mattinoz said:
    crowley said:
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

It’s not all that hard.
    Alright, X means boosted CPU or GPU cores.  Same difference.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    crowley said:
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

It’s not all that hard.

The “X” in the A-series does not mean boosted graphics. It’s actually means “Expanded”. The data bus on the “X” variants is twice as wide, which in turn allows for more and faster processing cores be it GPU or CPU, among other things. 
  • Reply 17 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    mattinoz said:

MacBook Air M1 or M2

MacBook Pro 14 M2 or P2
    MacBook Pro 16 P1 or P2

iMac 24 M2 or P2
    iMac 28 P1 or P2

Mac Mini  M2 or P2

It will not be called an M1X. The number (“1”) designates core generations. Apple will most certainly use the same cores from the A15, which would make the SoC the M2.

And there’s no reason to make the naming so convoluted or complicated. When Apple used PPC, the G3 was used in everything from laptops to towers. There’s no reason an “M#” can’t do the same. There are 4 variants of the current Mac SoC; 8/7/8, 8/7/16, 8/8/8, 8/8/16 and they are all called “M1”.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Gaby said:
    Xed said:
    Gaby said:

Well I have to disagree with you there. For one, I have not ever ordered a base spec model as it would be entirely unsuitable to my needs.  In point of fact I’m merely speaking from a value proposition, which is important to a lot of people, and nobody likes to feel they are being taken advantage of.  I’m in the fortunate position of not needing to worry about my finances as such, but I am not blind to the struggle of others, nor to the fact that Apple; or it’s leadership, are becoming greedier as time goes on..  I realise that in this respect the company is a victim of its own success in that the larger the growth, the more they need to earn to continue to grow, but I digress…

The point I was actually making was that back then 16GB was the maximum available RAM, and yet they saw fit to ship the 15 inch - which was the high end machine - with a large amount. These machines, with their new  second gen RISC chipsets are going to truly push things forward in terms of what’s possible on a portable machine, and will benefit greatly from increased memory. The efficiency of the architecture or the OS do not factor into it. It’s easy to say “well look the M1 macs run great on even 8 gigs so why do you need more?” 
    The fact is those machines are designed really for average customers, not those of us who use pro applications, and that’s the real crux of it. This being practically the first high end ARM machine for professionals available commercially I think Apple are going to kick things up a notch. Even with the efficiency of the system, third party pro apps can be a real drain on resources, granted much less than on x86 machines but still, for those who intend to use this particularly as a mobile workstation for extremely graphically intensive tasks; or those applications like Adobe CC that would normally page swap they will benefit from much larger amounts of RAM. Moreover that has benefits for the SSD too.  So in an age where Drives can be very large and since the prices are much more reasonable, and 256 is nothing at all now, it would be nice for the base models to be better equipped. Even if they upped the RAM by 8 Gigs to 24 that would be spot on for a lot of people. 
    Your notion of "pro applications" is silly. Is a screenwriting app not a professional app used by writers? If so, can they not use it on a MacBook Air? How about a MS Office? Are professionals not using these apps regularly? Can the MacBook Pro not run Xcode? Are those developers not professionals?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    @Xed ;
    I was giving a very limited example of the types of high performance applications that creative professionals may use, It was not an exhaustive list.   I was not discussing apps for accountants, journalists, teachers or developers...   Indeed those professionals are lucky to be in a position to save their money and purchase a MacBook Air and not to concern themselves with the type of power that others may need. 
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Not worth it.
    edited October 2021