Three Apple Watch sizes may arrive in 2022

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2021
Apple may introduce a third size to its Apple Watch lineup next year, with the "Apple Watch Series 8" receiving the biggest display to date.

An analyst has suggested that Apple may further expand its Apple Watch offerings next year, tweeting that he believes that the Apple Watch may receive a third, larger size.

Don't be surprised if there are 3 sizes next year...

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Ross Young, CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants, tells fans, "Don't be surprised if there are 3 sizes next year..." However, Young does not say what the third size could be.

Until now, all Apple Watch models have been offered in two sizes, a "small" and a "large." The Apple Watch Series 7, for example, is available in 41mm and 45mm configurations.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also weighed in on what features he believes will be available in the "Apple Watch Series 8." Kuo has said that he believes it will include new health management features in 2022, such as the ability to monitor a user's body temperature.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It’s interesting that when the Watch first came out, the small 38mm size was thought to be very good for people with small wrists, such as women and children. But now, the small watch is 41mm, just one mm smaller than the large watch was that year. Do people no longer care about a small watch? With the much larger screens over the years, I would think that even a 36mm model would have a screen noticeably larger than the first 38mm version.
    dk49beowulfschmidtBeats
  • Reply 2 of 12
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Gold Aluminum please.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    What the heck! 44mm already looks huge on most people's wrist (including many men). A larger watch will look hilariously bad on most people. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Maybe it won't be a larger size, but a return to the 38mm form factor.  Not sure how that would affect some of the new sensors that have been mentioned as possibilities.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    melgross said:
    It’s interesting that when the Watch first came out, the small 38mm size was thought to be very good for people with small wrists, such as women and children. But now, the small watch is 41mm, just one mm smaller than the large watch was that year. Do people no longer care about a small watch? With the much larger screens over the years, I would think that even a 36mm model would have a screen noticeably larger than the first 38mm version.
    Screen size ≠ watch chassis size. Though the newest “small” Apple Watch is 41mm, that is reference to its near bezel-less display on Series 7. I believe the watch body itself is only marginally larger. 
    bageljoey
  • Reply 6 of 12
    kdupuis77 said:
    melgross said:
    Screen size ≠ watch chassis size. Though the newest “small” Apple Watch is 41mm, that is reference to its near bezel-less display on Series 7. I believe the watch body itself is only marginally larger. 
    Nope. 41mm and 44mm are the new case sizes. You are correct that these are only marginally larger than the previous case sizes of 40mm and 42mm, while the percentage increase in screen size is considerably more than that due to shrinking the bezels. My guess would be a smaller third size which would appeal to a vast quantity of buyers that includes adults with smaller wrists and children. The smallest Watch case size is now 8% larger than the initial 38mm--it's only 1mm shy of what was the large Watch when it debuted. So there's a need for a small Watch again that's not an outdated Series 3. 
    jhollington
  • Reply 7 of 12
    charlesn said:

Nope. 41mm and 44mm are the new case sizes. You are correct that these are only marginally larger than the previous case sizes of 40mm and 42mm, while the percentage increase in screen size is considerably more than that due to shrinking the bezels. My guess would be a smaller third size which would appeal to a vast quantity of buyers that includes adults with smaller wrists and children. The smallest Watch case size is now 8% larger than the initial 38mm--it's only 1mm shy of what was the large Watch when it debuted. So there's a need for a small Watch again that's not an outdated Series 3. 
    Exactly this. In fact, if you do the math you can figure out that the screen actually grew twice as much with the Series 4 — about 4mm in each direction — due to the smaller bezels. Apple still hasn't released official specs on the Series 7, but I suspect the same is true this time around as well. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:

The external dimensions were pretty much the same, only the screen size increased (like comparing the iPhone mini to the iPhone 7).  So it's still a "small" watch.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Why does everyone assume the third size will be larger?
    There are lots of FitBit wearers out there who would welcome a small, less obtrusive watch.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Can’t wait for the 94mm Watch!! Will pair nicely with the next 7” iPhone 14 mini!!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Until now, all Apple Watch models have been offered in two sizes, a "small" and a "large." The Apple Watch Series 7, for example, is available in 41mm and 45mm configurations.
    That’s not exactly accurate — while there have been two sizes offered, I don’t believe Apple has ever labeled them small or large. One is larger than the other, but neither has a sized designation.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Just finished reading Gruber’s review on the S7, where most of the talk is about the size over the iterations — both the screen size and the case size. Both have changed w/ the 7.

https://daringfireball.net/2021/10/apple_watch_series_7
    guyr