Tim Cook pledges donation to support communities in China floods

Posted:
in General Discussion
As he has with multiple emergencies and natural disasters, Tim Cook has promised that Apple will donate money to assist communities recover from the severe flooding in northern China.

Following many previous relief aid pledges, most recently for Louisiana after Hurricane Ida, Tim Cook has announced Apple will contribute to northern China's relief efforts. As is now the norm, Cook did not specify any amount, or detail how the aid would be distributed.

Unusually, Cook's announcement was solely posted on China's Weibo social media platform, and not repeated on Twitter. The post, specifically about flood recovery efforts in the Shanxi region of northern China, was written in both Chinese and English.

"As the Shanxi region turns toward recovery, we want to do our part supporting relief efforts and helping with the rebuilding," began the English-language part. It then continued to specify that "Apple will donate to help affected communities."

Tim Cook's posting on Weibo
Tim Cook's posting on Weibo

It's reported that the heavy rainfall and consequent flooding has caused the death of at least 15 people. Some 2 million more are affected by the damage.

China has been struggling with floods for some months, with Apple suppliers being affected, or having to prepare emergency response plans.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    What about the people recently displaced in the United States? Oh, yes, I see, China is where Apple makes their $. Hypocritical to put it lightly 
    williamlondonquench
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Apple donates millions to US relief efforts.
    prairiewalkerwilliamlondonmichelb76FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The guy gets around. One of his comments yesterday hit me: at the conference he was at yesterday he said "I'm going to be here [in Utah] for several more hours" like it was all the time in the world. And to him, I suppose it was. He attended 2 or 3 (that I know of) events - where he was the center of attention - after that point.

I see my company's CEO and he's busy, but man, nothing like Tim Cook. The guy is insanely in demand, and as such, insanely busy. So while I understand things like this have to come from him, I cannot imagine the day to day (minute to minute) pressures on him. It has to be incredibly taxing.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    This is another major reason I believe Tim Cook is a poor CEO... he uses the corporate accounts like his own personal piggy bank and doles out (corporate) money at will. If there is a cause he believes in, good for him! but he should only support that cause his own money (he certainly has plenty), not the share holders.
    elijahgquench
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    China can pay for it with all the money they made selling PPE to the rest of the world. Has a Chinese company ever donated money to the US after a natural disaster here?
    edited October 2021 elijahgquench
  • Reply 6 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    "Helping with the rebuilding" doesn't sound like something a native English speaker would say. So it's unlikely to actually be Cook posting, despite the name and avatar. But I'm not entirely sure China needs extra funds to help relief efforts. The Chinese government, who would be carrying out the relief efforts, is not poor. Whether they choose to spend the money to help though is a different matter.
    edited October 2021 quench
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Fred257 said:
    What about the people recently displaced in the United States? Oh, yes, I see, China is where Apple makes their $. Hypocritical to put it lightly 
    Apple donates money to anyone experiencing a natural disaster, including those in the US. They've donated money after wildfires, flooding, hurricanes, etc, etc in the US. So no, Apple isn't hypocritical at all. It supports global efforts to help those in need. 
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 14
    hexclock said:
    China can pay for it with all the money they made selling PPE to the rest of the world. Has a Chinese company ever donated money to the US after a natural disaster here?
    US does not need donation from any company any country. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    This is another major reason I believe Tim Cook is a poor CEO... he uses the corporate accounts like his own personal piggy bank and doles out (corporate) money at will. If there is a cause he believes in, good for him! but he should only support that cause his own money (he certainly has plenty), not the share holders.
    I have attended a couple shareholder meetings and believe me nothing when it comes to donations etc. gets done without passing the Board of Directors approval.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The guy gets around. One of his comments yesterday hit me: at the conference he was at yesterday he said "I'm going to be here [in Utah] for several more hours" like it was all the time in the world. And to him, I suppose it was. He attended 2 or 3 (that I know of) events - where he was the center of attention - after that point.

I see my company's CEO and he's busy, but man, nothing like Tim Cook. The guy is insanely in demand, and as such, insanely busy. So while I understand things like this have to come from him, I cannot imagine the day to day (minute to minute) pressures on him. It has to be incredibly taxing.
    Nothing like having a corporate private jet, concierge and security services, limo, 24/7 secretarial staff and a great smartphone to coordinate it all.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Fred257 said:
    The fact that you are hilariously uninformed doesn't make you right.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    hexclock said:
    US does not need donation from any company any country. 
    Neither does China. Thanks for underscoring my point. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 14
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    I have attended a couple shareholder meetings and believe me nothing when it comes to donations etc. gets done without passing the Board of Directors approval.
    That may be so.  However:
    - To my knowledge Cook does not indicate he will seek board approval to donate funds, he simply states Apple will donate $$$$$ to the cause du jour.
    - If the board of directors is involved, has the board ever denied his "request"?  If not, are they really taking their oversight responsibilities seriously?
    - I don't know how often the Apple board meets, but most boards only have a handful of get-togethers each year...  although they certainly can hold an impromptu video call for something as important as fritting away the corporate nest egg in order to keep their glorious leader happy.
    elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 14
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Nothing like having a corporate private jet, concierge and security services, limo, 24/7 secretarial staff and a great smartphone to coordinate it all.
    For most of my life I felt corporate planes were an unnecessary luxury.  Then 20-ish years ago I (along with several other engineers) had occasion to take the company plane on a trip across the country...  It completely opened my eyes as to the undeniable value private planes offer.  There was essentially zero wasted time in the day.  Everybody showed up at the airport and within 15 minutes we were airborne with a rental car waiting for us on the tarmac at our destination.  Our return trip was just as smooth.  Adding up the (hourly) cost of the individuals involved along with the time saved more than made up for the cost...  not to mention the convenience of flying at a time which suited us rather than having to adjust our schedule to an airline timetable.