Apple fires leader of #AppleToo movement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Pokemon GO? Looks like she has a lot of free time in Apple. Enough time to mess around with AppleToo.
    edited October 2021 WeetuBosasocalbriandave3938
  • Reply 22 of 58
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Pokemon GO? Looks like she has a lot of free time in Apple. Enough time to mess around with AppleToo.
    Well, she was in Apple Maps. Not exactly a high output area.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonelijahgravnorodom
  • Reply 23 of 58
    This is the coddled generation. My wife was at the dentist the other day and 25(!) year old woman came in and said her mommy called and made an appointment for her. These kids are used to their parents bending over backwards to take care of their every need well past their childhood and think that corporate America should be beholden to them. 
    Bosadave3938zonetukeRudeBoyRudy
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Simple the BEST Apple news I've read in while!
    williamlondonBosa
  • Reply 25 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Bosa said:
    This is the coddled generation. My wife was at the dentist the other day and 25(!) year old woman came in and said her mommy called and made an appointment for her. These kids are used to their parents bending over backwards to take care of their every need well past their childhood and think that corporate America should be beholden to them. 
    They are called Snowflakes, participation trophy generation. Apple needs to fire all these idiots and hire people from around the world who would give and arm and leg to work at Apple and be appreciative 
    Then they'll likely get B-listers. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Wow, a lot of experts here who seem to have a ton of inside knowledge about these cases. But seriously, most of these posts have a lot to say about the poster, not so much about the subject. 
    williamlondonOfercrowleyronn
  • Reply 27 of 58
    sdw2001 said:
    And...welcome to the real world, sweetheart.  This is the rude awakening your entitled generation is experiencing.  In said real world, you work for a private sector employer.  That means you don't get to criticize your boss or company in public without being fired.  That means no one in your company cares about your opinion outside of your area of expertise.  That means unless you can prove a legal violation, you can be eighty-sixed for almost any reason, or no reason at all.  Yours is the generation who thinks if you state your "concerns" about your superiors respectfully, they'll not only be listened to, but acted upon.  It reminds me of the interns who were canned some years ago because they wrote a letter challenging the employer's dress code.  They were flabbergasted that their reasonable, respectful letter telling their bosses how to run their company got them axed. 

Want to be able to speak out?  Either get a public sector job where your freedom of speech is less curtailed (it's true) or start you own business.  
    Totally agree 👍! 

This is just another Snowflake.
    dave3938
  • Reply 28 of 58
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    heli0s said:

Some of these recent firings, like this one and Ashley Gjøvik’s case, sure looks like pretenses to get rid of employees who have been too vocal about issues at Apple. It’s not a good look. 

The public's impression of the police since George Floyd has taken a hit.  Therefore, police must stop arresting people for any reason because it's not a good look.

And there you have it!
    anonconformistFidonet127dave3938
  • Reply 29 of 58
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Imagine a world where people hardly ever complain, where people know life is hard and turn the other cheek, where people move beyond obstacles with all their might rather than casting a stone of accusation at others, where people strive to love others unconditionally.

That is not the world in which we live.  But it sure would be nice.

Have a great, complaint-free day, folks!
    FileMakerFellerh2p
  • Reply 30 of 58
    So a person who was treating her team mates very poorly for years is accusing Apple about harassment…(personal experience) …or is it the fact that she could not do whatever she wanted anymore during work hours, on Apple’s laptop? 
    dave3938
  • Reply 31 of 58
    I can't imagine having the opportunity to work at Apple, and throwing it away out of my own entitlement.
    Bosadave3938
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Wow, a lot of experts here who seem to have a ton of inside knowledge about these cases. But seriously, most of these posts have a lot to say about the poster, not so much about the subject. 
    Exactly.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    entropys said:
    Well, she was in Apple Maps. Not exactly a high output area.
    I can see where there might have been an overlap. If Pokémon GO says the critter is in such and such a place, Apple Maps would want to be accurate in displaying that place.

Overall, the situation reminds me of the old management adage: in the absence of information, people will make up a story that fits their worst fears.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Apple Computer: Nice products but you wouldn't want to work there.
    Yes and that is my friend who came from east coast NYC finance learned too. Even their development process is weak comparing to what we use in big software shops in finance. If you do not know what is big, one floor of financial company has more operations line of code than entire Microsoft. I co-owned literally 2 million lines of code of trading system. Small piece of what else was on the floor. When he said of their weak process and ow to fix it they did not agree so, he played to leave that garbage Now Zoox pays probably better and has better process as Amazon project. Apple as much as achieved top in technology has a lot to learn to be more efficient. Keyword is automated testing and avoiding repeat mistakes in code. If they want people to work on weekends because management does not want investing into automated testing and people have to do it on time that normally would be their private time then Apple will have to pay more to those engineers.
    That’s one hell of a claim, with no evidence provided as to how you can legitimately claim knowledge as to how many lines of code than the entirety of Microsoft.

I know there are rather large applications that run, with millions of lines of code.  Frankly, too many lines of code for a trading system will slow things down and make it more error-prone, as well as making testing a living nightmare for all that complexity.  I know of medical practice software that consists of over 22 million lines of Visual Basic 6 code that is its own platform for the vertical market, with its own third-party software. Still a fraction of the size of what’s just in the Windows OS source code that I have full access for helping customers with, and while the Windows OS source code is huge for what’s in a release, and it may be the largest single repository for any single Microsoft product, it’s still a small percentage of the total code Microsoft has.
    williamlondonh2p
  • Reply 35 of 58
    I don't know the specifics of either case, and I don't trust the blogosphere to present any unbiased report. Too much of a hard on for Apple as a prime headline for clickbait.

That being said, I wonder in what world some people live in? If you bad mouth your employer to the press, you will get fired, period. Does anyone actually expect a different outcome?
    anonconformistdave3938williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 58
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple Computer: Nice products but you wouldn't want to work there.
    Steve only wanted the "A Players" and was clear that the "A Players" didn't like to play with the "B Players".

But, these days, the "C Players" want everybody to come down to their level.

shamino
  • Reply 37 of 58
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

That is true...
    But part of that difference is a difference in outlook and belief between having rights and how far those rights extend.   Many think she was within her rights to complain.   Many others think she pushed her (perceived) rights beyond the limit.

Criticizing ones' employer is not the same as criticizing one's neighbor or (democratic) government.  The rights there simply don't go as far.  

Essentially, an employer is an autocracy that can make its own rules.  It is not a free speech democracy.
    h2pmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 58
    heli0s said:

Some of these recent firings, like this one and Ashley Gjøvik’s case, sure looks like pretenses to get rid of employees who have been too vocal about issues at Apple. It’s not a good look. 

You're clearly not one to be bothered with a pesky thing like facts or the full story.
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 39 of 58
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Apple is promoting Pokémon Unite this morning - maybe some form of subliminal messaging? /jk
  • Reply 40 of 58
    When corporate America mixes business with politics - and gives its employees a platform to rage against others - that same dynamic may very well swing around and bite that corporation back. "Go woke, go broke" is not just a trite phrase - it's absolutely true. You can't have it both ways. 
    anantksundaramwilliamlondonanonconformistshamino