MacBook Air's 2022 update could add notch to the display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2022
The rumors of the infamous iPhone notch moving over to the MacBook Pro line could just be the start, with a leaker claiming the 2022 MacBook Air could use the same design concept.

On Saturday, a leak from Chinese social media suggested there will be some form of cut-out in the display of the MacBook Pro refresh, set to be unveiled on Monday. In follow-up research, it seems the MacBook Air could undergo the same transformation.

The forum post, dating back to August and uncovered by MacRumors, has leaker "Ty98" mentioning the next major update to the MacBook Air line would use the same purported notch motif as the MacBook Pro.

In the same post, the leaker mentions how the MacBook Air's design will be improved by Apple toning down or removing the wedge body design. Instead, the poster insists the model will have a "very round and light" design.

Current rumors has the MacBook Air scheduled to arrive in 2022, rather than in late 2021. The model is expected to have a 13.3-inch mini LED-backlit display, which will improve contrast ratios, produce deeper dark tones, and higher peak brightness levels in an image.

Other claims include a change in design to make it closer in appearance to the MacBook Pro range, and the use of colors on the enclosure.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    Gross, no thanks 
    williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 23
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    The odd thing is, the top centre of a macOS computer is always empty because the "Menu Bar" is always blank in that area. So people who use the menu bar (which is most of us) wouldn't really mind if there was a notch in that area. I suppose Windows computers would need to put the notch in the bottom of the screen since that's where the Windows "Task Bar" usually is.
    Xedameldrum1
  • Reply 3 of 23
    But the Mac have a huge forehead so you cant even notice the notch, muck like the ipad pro….
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 23
    If the iPad doesn't need one, the Mac won't either.
    KTRslow n easyCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 5 of 23
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    The rumors of the infamous iPhone notch moving over to the MacBook Pro line could just be the start, with a leaker claiming the 2022 MacBook Air could use the same design concept.

On Saturday, a leak from Chinese social media suggested there will be some form of cut-out in the display of the MacBook Pro refresh, set to be unveiled on Monday. In follow-up research, it seems the MacBook Air could undergo the same transformation.

The forum post, dating back to August and uncovered by MacRumors, has leaker "Ty98" mentioning the next major update to the MacBook Air line would use the same purported notch motif as the MacBook Pro.

In the same post, the leaker mentions how the MacBook Air's design will be improved by Apple toning down or removing the wedge body design. Instead, the poster insists the model will have a "very round and light" design.

Current rumors has the MacBook Air scheduled to arrive in 2022, rather than in late 2021. The model is expected to have a 13.3-inch mini LED-backlit display, which will improve contrast ratios, produce deeper dark tones, and higher peak brightness levels in an image.

Other claims include a change in design to make it closer in appearance to the MacBook Pro range, and the use of colors on the enclosure.

Read on AppleInsider
    Lets hope that NOTCH the case, get it?
    darkvaderTRAG
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    The odd thing is, the top centre of a macOS computer is always empty because the "Menu Bar" is always blank in that area. So people who use the menu bar (which is most of us) wouldn't really mind if there was a notch in that area. I suppose Windows computers would need to put the notch in the bottom of the screen since that's where the Windows "Task Bar" usually is.
    I assure you that that is not true. There are several applications that end up having menus under the camera hole on my MacBook Pro 13.
    And with some languages that can get even worse.
    K!llSwitchdarkvader
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I always believed the notch on the iPhone was put there for marketing. I’m sure they had the technology to put the FaceID module in the narrow bezel, but think about it; when you see a phone or even a silhouette of a phone in ads with a punch hole in the top of the display, what product immediately comes to mind? Now replace that with a notch, now what product do you see? It’s immediately recognizable as an Apple iPhone, right? It could never be mistaken for a competitors phone. If it was just a solid rectangle, who the hell knows what kind of phone was being used in an ad. It could’ve been anybody’s. And that phone with the notch at the top of the display is EVERYWHERE you look in ads. From tv ads to posters in fast food windows inviting you to point your phone at their QR code. And if you think back, they always used phone silhouettes with a circle under the display pre-iPhone X.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 23
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    If the iPad doesn't need one, the Mac won't either
    The dimensions are very different. The iPad Pro is a 1/4" thick and squared off while the top casing of he MBP looks to be about 1/8" thick and tapered.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I always believed the notch on the iPhone was put there for marketing.
    This is why beliefs should not be deemed facts (or even said out loud) just because you thought of it.
    williamlondonomairmuthuk_vanalingamTRAG
  • Reply 10 of 23
    ppietra said:
    I assure you that that is not true. There are several applications that end up having menus under the camera hole on my MacBook Pro 13.
    Then that will have to be addressed, just like in the iPhone, if that's the case.

My skepticism with Face ID coming to the Mac is that so far we've only ever had a single Face option for Face ID while we've had 5 fingers for Touch ID. Touch ID also hasn't grown in scope to at least include more options for Macs which can have multiple users. I wonder if the complexity of Face ID and its limitations with similar looking family members means that Apple still isn't ready for a multiple-user Face ID option. I hope that's not the case but I haven't seen anything to say otherwise.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Xed said:
    The dimensions are very different. The iPad Pro is a 1/4" thick and squared off while the top casing of he MBP looks to be about 1/8" thick and tapered.
    Then why not increase the thickness of the MBP. My preference would be to have it a little thicker without the notch.
    darkvader
  • Reply 12 of 23
    With the pandemic still raging I hate having to type in my code instead of use Touch ID.  I’m dumping my iPhone 12 mini when the newest SE comes out next year.  I’m tired…
    darkvaderbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Xed said:
    Then why not increase the thickness of the MBP. My preference would be to have it a little thicker without the notch.
    So you want the lid of the MBP to be as thick as an iPad Pro and squared off simply because of Face ID. And you want this without regard for cost, weight thickness, or utility of the device. Do you work for Dell?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 231member
    I'd just be happy with some extra ports!
    darkvadermwhite
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I do mind. That space on my Mac is filled with third party extensions and they are very useful ones. It would be dumb for Apple to shrink the space. 
    mike54
  • Reply 16 of 23
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    So you want the lid of the MBP to be as thick as an iPad Pro and squared off simply because of Face ID. And you want this without regard for cost, weight thickness, or utility of the device. Do you work for Dell?

YES!!!!!!

Thicker is better.  Thicker can be more rugged, which means I wouldn't see nearly as many broken screens.  Thicker would IMPROVE utility.  Thicker would likely reduce cost.  And yes, it would be a little heavier - but so what?  A laptop today weighs NOTHING compared to what I carried in 1988, that thing was about 4" thick, weighed 11 pounds, and didn't even have a hard drive or backlit screen. 
  • Reply 17 of 23
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    I've got an 11" MBA.  It's a perfect size to carry around.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I'm sure that they can figure something out without including a notch. Apple has brilliant engineers working for them.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Xed said:
    ppietra said:
    Then that will have to be addressed, just like in the iPhone, if that's the case.

My skepticism with Face ID coming to the Mac is that so far we've only ever had a single Face option for Face ID while we've had 5 fingers for Touch ID. Touch ID also hasn't grown in scope to at least include more options for Macs which can have multiple users. I wonder if the complexity of Face ID and its limitations with similar looking family members means that Apple still isn't ready for a multiple-user Face ID option. I hope that's not the case but I haven't seen anything to say otherwise.
    It cannot be addressed in the same way as in the iPhone. The iPhone never had a crowded menu bar at the top that changes with each application.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    ppietra said:
    Xed said:
    ppietra said:

It cannot be addressed in the same way as in the iPhone. The iPhone never had a crowded menu bar at the top that changes with each application.
    They absolutely have had a Status Bar that had some items go into the Control Panel because the notch took up too much of the Status Bar's space. I think some items had to be redesigned so they could still stay in the Status Bar after Face ID was introduced.
    edited October 2021