Apple unveils 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, M1 Max starting at $2499

Comments

• Reply 21 of 153
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    elijahg said:
    Glad the ports many here declared "legacy" are back. Are they still "legacy" now?
    Apple doesn't use "legacy" ports ever. So, they are the "future" from now onwards :).
    Did you notice how they said they were bringing HDMI and the SD card reader to the MacBook Pro.  No mention of restoring them or bringing them back, just pretend like they were never there previously  :D
    muthuk_vanalingamnadrielelijahgavon b7
  • Reply 22 of 153
    If you want to use recycled aluminium and have space for a big battery there's not much room for styling I suppose. They're Pro machines that put performance above style and that's the way it should be. It looks like nothing on the other side will come anywhere even remotely close. Can't wait for the comparisons but these machines look like big gamechangers. 
    fastasleepcommentzillajas99argonautelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 153
    No new iMac.
    No new Mac Mini.
    So disappointing.
    We re desktop people.
    lol oh jeeze. iMac and Mini already got M1 upgrades last time. MBP line is being completed since the low end was the first a year ago. Larger iMac likely next next. 
    Next, but when? Hope they rollout 32” iMac before Xmas. No big production needed, just a press release would be fine. 
    MacProargonautcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 153
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    No new iMac.
    No new Mac Mini.
    So disappointing.
    We re desktop people.

I wanted a maxed out Mac Mini to connect to my ProXDR display. I don't need a laptop, and my iMac days are probably over.

80s_Apple_Guywilliamlondonargonautcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 153
    aa4aa4 Posts: 8member
    netrox said:
    It's actually a big let down in terms of laptop design. Why are we bringing back HDMI when USB4 provides the same technology? I am ok with the SD slot but not ok with Magsafe and the HDMI port. They add more ugliness and waste to the laptop. They even said you can charge with USB-C so what's the point of MagSafe? I am glad they got rid of Touch Bar and the keyboard looks more functional and more comfortable. 

A notch looks bad which is disappointing as it should be less obvious and seamlessly integrated into the menu bar but it totally "stands out" - but we will get used to it quickly.  

Performance-wise, it sounds impressive though. 

Honestly, Apple should just stick to USB4 and the SD slot and that's it. That way, TV and monitors will be forced to use USB4. And force people to move to USB4.  Hopefully, in a couple of generations, Apple will get rid of all those ports. 

They added magsafe because users have been asking for it and so the charger won't occupy any USB C ports which can be useful to the user while charging.
    patchythepirateFidonet127welshdogjas99elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 153
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    Glad the ports many here declared "legacy" are back. Are they still "legacy" now?
    Apple doesn't use "legacy" ports ever. So, they are the "future" from now onwards :).
    Did you notice how they said they were bringing HDMI and the SD card reader to the MacBook Pro.  No mention of restoring them or bringing them back, just pretend like they were never there previously  :D
    Interesting conspiracy theory but with the TouchBar the person specifically said “replacing the TouchBar”, so it invalidates the suggestion that they’re trying to rewrite history.  
    fastasleepwilliamlondonasdasdsuddenly newtonjas99magman1979argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 153
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Welp it's only a kidney and a half day.  16" MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, 64GB of RAM and 2TB of disk for $4,299.  Delivers November 3rd-ish.  Expected delivery was October 26th when I first started look - the dates zoomed up quickly!
    magman1979Alex_Vwatto_cobramacike
  • Reply 28 of 153
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    Interesting conspiracy theory but with the TouchBar the person specifically said “replacing the TouchBar”, so it invalidates the suggestion that they’re trying to rewrite history.  
    Sure it does.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 29 of 153
    just ordered my M1 Max version, will be available in a week, I honestly don't know how Apple has managed to get these chips given the level of deep shortages going on
    jas99argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 153
    netrox said:
    They even said you can charge with USB-C so what's the point of MagSafe?
    The point of magsafe is the breakaway connection.  Biggest annoyance with the M1 Macbook Air - that stupid %@#$ USB-C charging cable that didn't detach.  So glad they brought it back; I thought I was going to loose Magsafe forever.  So glad I returned the MBA because I needed more RAM.  The only thing that would have made this laptop utterly perfect is if they would have included at least one USB A port - but with Magsafe and the SD slot it cuts the dongles required down to just one.  Thank god! 
    williamlondonmagman1979baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 153
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, so. I ordered as soon as the store went live.

16” M1 Max, 64GB RAM, 2TB drive. Arrives between Nov 3rd (day after my birthday), and Nov 6th. Pretty good!
    patchythepirateauxiodocno42GG1JinTechwelshdogbageljoeyfastasleepjax44magman1979
  • Reply 32 of 153

omasou said:
    The screen is bigger so the notch is not taking away from he screen. If anything it's part of the menu bar
    How do you figure?  For full screen content it's going to be there.  Indeed it was pretty prominent in the full screen shots they had during the show.   The screen is wider than 16:9 so that notch is going to be there when you play full screen video.  It's a baffling decision to me for a company so otherwise focused on aesthetics.  Even the notch on the iPhone doesn't interfere with full screen video in landscape mode. 
    Oh well, guess I'll find out pretty quick just how much of a distraction it is. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 153
    melgross said:

16” M1 Max, 64GB RAM, 2TB drive. Arrives between Nov 3rd (day after my birthday), and Nov 6th. Pretty good!
    So you are the one I was competing with :tongue: 

If I could have been a bit quicker the original date was October 26th.  D'oh!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 153
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    elijahg said:
    This is Cook Making Apple Great Again with  HDMI and SD slot plus MagSafe.  Fixing the Ive junk  pros.   Glad I held on to my 2015".
    muthuk_vanalingamentropyswilliamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 35 of 153
    Next, but when? Hope they rollout 32” iMac before Xmas. No big production needed, just a press release would be fine. 
    I don't understand why they didn't just release an M1 32" iMac with the 24" - would be MORE than enough for most people.  My mom's iMac is starting to get finicky; it would be really nice to replace it with a newer one.  Hopefully they aren't running into issues sourcing the screens with all the ongoing supply chain BS.
    keithwrobin hubercat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 153
    The pricing of the 14 and 16 models are surprisingly similar.  Only £100 difference in the configurations I'm looking at.  I would have expected a bigger step.

On the other hand, it seems a little strange that the 14 ships with a 96W charger, and the 16 with a 140W charger.  That seems a substantial power difference just to cover a slightly bigger screen.

I wonder if the charger has a USB-C connector on the block, or if it's an integrated cable.  I hope the former.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 153
    just ordered my M1 Max version, will be available in a week, I honestly don't know how Apple has managed to get these chips given the level of deep shortages going on
    Ordering (and paying for) millions of parts years in advance - that's how.  One thing Tim Cook is obviously VERY good at - managing the supply chain. 
    patchythepiratewelshdogfastasleepkurai_kagejas99argonautAlex_V
  • Reply 38 of 153
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    melgross said:

Very nice!  I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on a similar machine...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 153
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    These new machines are...
    edited October 2021 rezwitsJinTechjas99argonautAlex_VTRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 153
    Orders now slipping into December.
    watto_cobra