Apple's all-new AirPods support Spatial Audio for $179

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2021
During Apple's "Unleashed" special event, Apple officially revealed a new version of its popular AirPods that supports the Spatial Audio feature.

AirPods
AirPods

The new version of AirPods has adopted design features of the existing AirPods Pro, complete with a squat charging case. While the design is similar to the pro model, the updated AirPods lack active noise cancellation that remains exclusive to the high-end set of earbuds.

Other features include Adaptive EQ, IPX4 water and sweat resistance, force sensor controls, and support for Find My. Battery life is now promised up to six hours on a single charge with a combined 30 hours with the case.

This joins new enhancements to Siri to help you find the best Apple Music playlist with a new Voice Plan subscription for only $4.99 a month.

The new AirPods lineup
The new AirPods lineup

"AirPods forever changed wireless headphones with their groundbreaking design, incredible sound, and magical experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "We are excited to introduce the next generation of AirPods, featuring unrivaled sound through Adaptive EQ and spatial audio with dynamic head tracking, along with seamless interaction between Apple devices -- making the world's best-selling headphones even better."

Orders begin today for $179. That joins the second-generation AirPods which are now available at $129, AirPods Pro at $249, and AirPods Max at $549.

This story is breaking. Refresh often for the most current information.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    As Apple slowly spreads color through its entire product line, why do they insist on keeping their most personal one available only in white?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Andrew, you forgot to add the MagSafe charging case. 
    edited October 2021 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Japhey said:
    As Apple slowly spreads color through its entire product line, why do they insist on keeping their most personal one available only in white?
    When sals drop off in White, Apple can alter it slightly and create a new product for very little or no cost to them by making it in gloss black too!  It just a production run in a different color for the housing!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Japhey said:
    I too would love different colors. 

They keep it white Because they Want it to stand out in your ear and not go unnoticed. 

I paid to have my AirPods Pro’s painted Matte black and nobody notices them in my ear. When I talk on the phone  they think I’m talking to them. 

If they do notice it from me pointing it out, they ask which model it is assuming  it’s a Samsung or some generic model. 

I recently lost them and  bought new “white” AirPods Pro and everyone seems see them and when I talk to someone with them in my ear  they assume I’m talking on the phone. 

So, white does make a difference. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    No silicone ear tips. The shape seems much fatter than the old tapered AirPods so I wonder how well these fit? Just curious, I can't use any of  them because the hard plastic hurts my ears after only a few minutes. The Pros might be okay comfort wise.